HybridZ

Aluminum radiator to fit RB26 240z

strokerzedd

Has anyone found an aluminum radiator that'll fit in a 240z with right hand inlet and outlet to an RB26? The radiator opening is only 23.5"w x 12.5"h so an 18"h radiator is all that'll fit above the frame rails and RH radiators are rare it seems. It's going to be fairly busy under the hood and I'd rather not have to run one of the hoses to the left side. If you've found one, what was the application?

I want to say my radiator is this one "Griffin 1-28182-X" @ http://www.summitracing.com My inlet and outlet is on the same side so I don't have to worry about that crossover pipe.

The other benefit to a radiator like this, is the fact that it is a cross flow radiator, meaning it cools the top, then goes down on one side end tank, then down to the outlet. Basically snakes through the radiator twice, so technically it should get a tad bit more cooling if the fan is effective? Can someone verify this fact with me?

Specs should be 22" Wide x 19" Height x 3" Thick.

You can search the website for radiator, and click through until you find the specs. The inlet hose and outlet hose should be passenger side.

Click Here

gri-1-28182-x_w.jpg

Thanks for all of the help, I ordered the Griffin this morning. I want to thank everyone that contributes to this and other sites. It's made designing and building this car so much easier. I'll keep this site up to speed as my car starts to come together.

P4100176_thumb.jpg

Bodyshop_thumb.jpg

LSD-coilovers-discs_thumb.jpg

RB26 motor mounts_thumb.jpg

same radiator in the new car.

DSC02605.jpg

DSC02606.jpg

Stony, I've followed the construction of your first and now this latest Z and all of your photos have helped me along the way. What brand and part number of intercooler are you using in this car? I think that you made your last one from scratch? You're in Alaska? Can't be a lot of tuners up there so what ECU are you using? Injectors?

Stony, I've followed the construction of your first and now this latest Z and all of your photos have helped me along the way. What brand and part number of intercooler are you using in this car? I think that you made your last one from scratch? You're in Alaska? Can't be a lot of tuners up there so what ECU are you using? Injectors?

I believe he is using a ChinaBay special intercooler, 24x12x4" core with 3" top/bottom side outlets and 31" overall width. I am running the same IC on my car, and it works great, only was like $150 too.

I believe he is using a ChinaBay special intercooler, 24x12x4" core with 3" top/bottom side outlets and 31" overall width. I am running the same IC on my car, and it works great, only was like $150 too.

Your car looks great. I can't seem to find a site for the intercooler when I search ChinaBay. Any ideas where I can find it? I'm 75% complete in my fuel cell installation. I'm building a drop in frame and metal box that will house the fuel cell and surge tank, both will have in tank pumps. I'll post pictures soon.

Your car looks great. I can't seem to find a site for the intercooler when I search ChinaBay. Any ideas where I can find it? I'm 75% complete in my fuel cell installation. I'm building a drop in frame and metal box that will house the fuel cell and surge tank, both will have in tank pumps. I'll post pictures soon.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to a IC made in china, sold on eBay.... :D

There are tons of them on eBay.

Specs should be 22" Wide x 19" Height x 3" Thick.

----------------------------------------------------

I found a 24inch wide x 19 ht radiator in the Griffin list but only 2inch thick

(Griffin 1-28202-X ) - this is the same as the standard radiator - did you not consider this one for some reason?

Also 24inch x 19 x 2.5inch (Griffin 1-58202-X) ?

regards

I don't remember what I got exactly.

The reason why some people don't 24" is because it can be too wide sometimes depending on who makes it. Last time I measured the inside of my framerails was 24.5" and the 24" I got last time barely fit with maybe 3mm of clearance on both sides, too close for comfort.

So I think that's why I went with the 22" just for peace of mind that it would fit with no problems.

Even if it is the same size as standard radiator, do remember that these new ones are aluminum, and in my case, aluminum double pass, so I have way more cooling power than stock.

OK see your point.

I wonder why they do a 2inch and a 2.5inch - handy for more room in the RB26 swap with intercoolers etc - do you think there would be much difference in cooling with 2 & 2.5 versus the 3inch?

I live in Australia and therfore need to be sure which one I get before ordering

regards

OK see your point.

I wonder why they do a 2inch and a 2.5inch - handy for more room in the RB26 swap with intercoolers etc - do you think there would be much difference in cooling with 2 & 2.5 versus the 3inch?

I live in Australia and therfore need to be sure which one I get before ordering

regards

I honestly can't remember how thick mine was, I know for sure however that it is not 2".

I think mine was 2.5". Here is the thing, if you can fit a 3" then go for it! It's ultra bad-ass! I think with a good water pump, a good fan properly hooked up, that you can run a 2.5" with no problems. It's obvious that the 3" can hold more fluid thus have more cooling power. I mean some guys still run an RB setup on the stock radiator, I don't see why, but they are.

It depends on what fan you choose really and if you're going to run A/C or P/S. You want to make sure that you have room to work on your car without it being a pain in the ass.

So, my suggestions, run a 2.5" with a good solid fan, nothing too bulky. Even if you chose the 2" I think your cooling would be sufficient, IMHO I think it's too thin, almost stock RB like.

I've got twin 12" monsters hanging out on my radiator which I might change, but that's later.

Shoot me an email if you like to see some photos.

Quoc@Livesockets.com

The intercooler i have is the 4 inch thick, 12 inch tall, and 24 inch wide core.

With this one if you cut off the inlet and outlet that the end tanks come with and weld on some 90s they point right at the openings in the stock Z core support that the tubing need to go Thru.

That is one of the reasons i went with the cheapo initially was if i had to cut i didn't want to buy a 1500 intercooler, cut on it and mes it up :>

But since its working fine i will keep it for now :>