HybridZ

AK vs M16 vs Mosin Nagant

auxilary

NO. ATI kit is junk. trust me on this. I tried one, and it sucks. you're much better off getting a scout mount or something, and a bent bolt.

The PU setup is this:

MosinScopeMount001.jpg

Has a weaver rail on it so I can use regular scope mounts, and not limited to russky stuff. Just have to drill/tap the receiver for the base. It's used from a gun forum member for 40 bucks, which is great, except no mounting hardware.

Yes a for real mp 44 magazine with three cartridges picked up at a garage sale....seems Saturday I am off probation finally. Possession of a rimfire 22 caliber cartridge would get me five years. My attempts to get the conviction overturned failed at the 9th Circuit. What is really strange, had my case been overturned, I could have never possessed ammunition or a firearm again because I was initially convicted.

Dr Hunt..........These days I am still working on my Datsun junk (Tomahawk Cobra and 250 GTO) and increasing my Barlow folding knife and "No Evil" monkey collections besides questioning authority with one more last of the last lawsuits against the Bureau of Prisons. But more than anything I miss those precision instruments and double actions.

well, given that i will admit to messing up my receiver when installing hte ATI kit, I will say the following:

drill/tap kit is weak - my tap threader snapped with light pressure, and I didn't b end/angle it.

the method for making a turn down bolt is crappy, bad leverage is the end result, and it's not flush/clean

aluminum rail has no rear support so scope will have a tendency to wobble

+1 on ATI mounts being junk. The same could generally be said of most mounts made from aluminum, B-Square also comes to mind. I suppose they are better than no mount at all, but compared to the original military design they are rather weak. The military mount is in my opinion probably one of the best mounts ever made for a bolt action rifle. Quick detach, adjustable for windage and elevation on the mount itself, and pretty much bomb proof. The original sniper versions of the Mosin saw some extremely harsh use during WWII, and many of them lived on to fight in Vietnam, Afgahnistan, and even modern day Iraq using the same mount and optics they had on them 60+ years ago. I don't think the ATI mount would be up to that challenge....

Ah not too much of a concern of mine- the work will for the most part be completled by a gunsmith, i just want it for the hardware. Ill also be having the bolt welded vs using the bolt together approach. Though i do admit down the line I would like to get one of those long handled bolts I see on gunbroker once in awhile for 40-60 bucks- The ones that are curved back slightly really look appealing to me..

So another question comes to mind, ever face the dreaded sticky bolt syndrom?

I mustve gotten lucky, ive yet to deal with a sticky bolt. My gun was actually pretty damn clean, not covered in a inch layer of cosmo. Though ive only been shooting wolf ammo- I just ordered some bulgarian surplus (300 rounds of heavy ball). Thankfully its a brass shell and not a steel lacquer shell though- cant wait to see how it shoots!

I mustve gotten lucky, ive yet to deal with a sticky bolt. My gun was actually pretty damn clean, not covered in a inch layer of cosmo. Though ive only been shooting wolf ammo- I just ordered some bulgarian surplus (300 rounds of heavy ball). Thankfully its a brass shell and not a steel lacquer shell though- cant wait to see how it shoots!

i shoot milsurp light ball (heavy balls is WAY more fun, i tried it, i need to get some) just keep in mind heavy ball yellow tip was made for machine guns

And thatd be exactly what I got my hands on (Just showed up yesterday, time to go have some fun). Bulgarian yellow tip heavy ball from J&G for 60 shipped to the door. Much better then 22 and change for a box of 20 from anywhere else. I love this gun :D