HybridZ

240z gas tank capacity

What the hek, my 71 240z fills up till 12 gallons??? It definitely looks like an original tank, and my fuel gauge shows full with 12 gallons in it.

you probably aren't going all the way to empty *shrugs*

I know that I usually re-fill mine when it indicates 1/4 of a tank left, and I've put in anywhere from 7 to 9 gallons on that.

The shape of the gas tank makes the first 1/2 of the tank go really fast in relation to the last half on the gauge. There is a lot more volume in the tank when it reads the bottom 1/2 of the gauge. Also the fuel senders are not the latest and greatest design and they tend to not be accurate, especially after 30+ years of service.

There is a little "60" in the bottom right corner of the gauge on the 240s that shows the volume of the tank in liters. I'm not sure if the 280 has this as well.

The shape of the gas tank makes the first 1/2 of the tank go really fast in relation to the last half on the gauge. There is a lot more volume in the tank when it reads the bottom 1/2 of the gauge. Also the fuel senders are not the latest and greatest design and they tend to not be accurate, especially after 30+ years of service.

There is a little "60" in the bottom right corner of the gauge on the 240s that shows the volume of the tank in liters. I'm not sure if the 280 has this as well.

yah, mine can read b/w 0 and 1/2 tank depending on which direction I turn and how fast.:lol:

Hah 16 gallons might not be too bad- Im used to my 86 corolla with its 10 gallon tank. Though i have to admit ill really miss the 35-38 mpg :(

I was a little worried about driving distance on the Z, i expected it to have a 10 or so gallon tank- but that makes things a lot different. Thanks for the awesome info.

What the hek, my 71 240z fills up till 12 gallons??? It definitely looks like an original tank, and my fuel gauge shows full with 12 gallons in it.

My 73 reads "empty" at 12 gallons as well. As an experiment, I took my spare gas can with me and drove until the car ran out of gas. It took 15 3/4 gallons to refill (2.5 gallons from the can, the rest at the gas station). It turns out that true empty on my car doesn't occur until the needle is pointing towards the left corner of the bottom of the "E". That's a long way (4 gallons!) after it hits the left-most side of the scale.