HybridZ

My First Z! Lots of Pics!

Yea, it looks like a ton of work. And I myself have ZERO experience welding and wouldn't be up to making all those needed patch panels.

If you know how, then I guess you know roughly how much work you're looking at. It just all depends, do you want to spend 3 years and 1k+ repairing the chassis, or spend 6 months and $3k finding a perfectly solid 99% rust free car?

Hey, if you choose to keep it that's one more Z restored that not everyone could, and that's one more Z out there for the rest of us.

I wish mine had looked that good when I bought it! Your shell looks pristine compared to some of the other pictures that have been posted here. There's nothing in those pics that looks very hard to fix. Besides, the joy in the project is doing as much as you can by yourself. There's alot of satisfaction in taking a sheet of plain steel and forming your own replacement parts & panels.

Have you had a chance to look at the airbox in front of the windshield?

I don't know what pictures you guys are looking at, but I really only see frame rail repairs needed, and probably some floor patches, very MINOR work IMO, shouldn't take more than a weekend to complete those repairs with proper tools.

Frame rails and floors deifinately need work.

But the battery tray looks pretty bad, and judging from the rest of the car I'm betting he'll find rust in the rocker panels, hatch area, cowl area, and little pockets in other areas as well.

Just seeing how bad those frame rails have progressed tells me that there's more where it came from, and it's had plenty of time to develop.

Watch out guys, she's got anorexia. :D

Frame rails and floors deifinately need work.

But the battery tray looks pretty bad, and judging from the rest of the car I'm betting he'll find rust in the rocker panels, hatch area, cowl area, and little pockets in other areas as well.

Just seeing how bad those frame rails have progressed tells me that there's more where it came from, and it's had plenty of time to develop.

Watch out guys, she's got anorexia. :D

I just looked through all of the posted pictures again, and really don't see why a few of you are sayaing to abandon it, because it's a very solid looking piece. I see two small frame patches in the inner wheel wells, and maybe a couple small floor patches, though the under the floor pictures make that look pretty solid.

The battery tray looks just like mine does currently and it's SOLID, in fact there might be less surface rust on the car in these pictures, of the battery tray area.

I realize that there will be more rust found, but I can only see getting a less solid S30, than this, unless he were to spend huge amounts of cash.

I would personally have no problem using that car to build a HybridZ, as far as a chassis goes, after the few repairs that are needed. I would want a more complete car though, which is part of the reason I bought the one I did, it's even more solid than this one and complete.

Yeah, if that is in fact my old car, there is some decent rust in the hatch area. I dont think it was all that bad though. Nothing that couldnt be replaced.

Yea itdoes have Falken tires on it so it probably was your car. If it was then im in luck because you could probably tell me more about it. Thats weird if I just found the previous owner. I bought it from some guy and his parents were making him get rid of it. He even delivered it to my house.

There are some rut pots that look pretty bad but I think it is a solid enough peice to turn into HybridZ. However, I still have to see how bad everything is once I tear it down some more. For now my plans are to keep it.

Yours looks better than my shell I just got, how much did you pay for it? I paid 75 bucks for mine, it needs floor pans, both doors need to be fixed, and has rust(nothing I think is all that bad, the worst of the rust is in the suspension componets in the back... im hoping I can swap stuff from my 81 that isnt rusted but I dont know. yours looks like a solid car.