HybridZ

Chrome Tailight Panel?

nofunchris

Just bought my first 280z about a 2 months ago. I have always wanted one since I've been in highschool but haven't been able to afford it until now. What I didn't realize is that buying the car was probably one of the cheaper things that I've done, restoring the car is killing me!!!

So far I've switched out the suspension, upgraded to Tokico shocks and struts, changed bushings to poly-urethane, changed front rotors and want desperately to change back to rotors. So far this site has been my saving grace as I'm really not that mechanically inclined. (damn-it, wish I didn't listen to my friend in highschool and taken shop instead of freakin music!!!!)

Anyway, a few weeks ago I saw that a father and son sold their project z on ebay. It was really gorgeus. Kinda like I'd like mine to eventually become. The auction has long since ended but they had the back tailight panel chromed. Or atleast painted chrome. It looked really cool. I kinda wanted everyones opinion on this. can you chrome plastic like that? And if you did paint it chrome, would it not tarnish almost instantly? I am in the process of shaving my rear panel now. It is a 77 280 btw.

Also through searching I've found Globerunner513's car. At his age I wish I had half his talent! Makes me sick! :wink: But seriously he does have a great lookin car.

Anyway, I'll post pics of my progress soon, just wanted ppl's opinion and to try my first post.

I don't know about the 280z but my 240z's tail light panel is metal. I don't know about chroming it. No one around here really does it and it's pretty hard to picture a completely chrome tail light panel looking good. Pictures would be necessary.

Either way you should build your car the way YOU want it to be....just don't put dragon stickers on the side. :P

Plastic can be chromed, but there's a durability issue. It depends on the process used. The chrome taillight surrounds on 260Zs and 280Zs is a triple plating process, with a layer of copper and nickel underneath the actual chrome. It ends up being a fairly thick layer of metal on top of the plastic, and while it's durable, it's not cheap. The kind of plating you see in plastic kits uses mostly aluminum and is inexpensive, but wears off easily.

I found this company with a quick Google search.

There's also Mirra Chrome, which is a paint...it's expensive, but might be a good middle ground between the two processes.

If you had steel pieces on the back (240) I'd have suggested polishing

them with a buffing wheel. People don't realize that mild steel can take a mirror polish just like aluminum, you just have to seal it against moisture(with something like ZoopSeal).

What Armand, no dragon stickers? No fart can muffler or lighting under the car either huh? :-)

Just kidding, but I do like the black shrome though that was suggested.

I kinda just want to dress it up a little cause once I'm finished shaving the back I think that it'll look kinda plain you know, no bumper and all.

Thanks for everyone's opinions.