HybridZ

Will this KAAZ LSD fit my ZXT R200?

hughdogz

Ah, ok, I see what you mean now.

Here's a parts list. if you scroll down to nissan they have all the model numbers for what they replace for what car/year/etc

http://www.kaazusa.com/products/Kaaz_Product_List.htm

I saw that too, but S130's aren't in the list. It probably won't just bolt in.

I guess I'm not the only one looking at this auction. I didn't notice that deja has looked at the same LSD in his thread. I agree with him that a 2-way may be too aggresive for the street.

Guys,

Unfortunately it won't work. None of them will. While you guys are correct in the spline count and such for the non-vlsd unit, the ring gear bolt holes are not the same. The S130 uses the 10mm bolt. Nissan did not start using the 12mm bolt gears until late '85. You will need to find an R200 from a later 200SX or Z31 300ZX and then you can use the Kaaz unit. That is what I did and it worked perfectly.

Brian

There are several discussions about using a 10mm ring gear with a 12mm LSD, do some searching and you'll see that it is possible. I'm running a 10mm ring gear with a Power Brute LSD that has 12mm holes right now, I just made some shims that reduce the diameter of the hole to 10mm and bolted them together. Not that hard to do. You'll also find people that say as long as you torque the bolts correctly they won't slip and you'll be fine.

Either way, it is possible to use the 10mm ring gear with an LSD that has 12mm holes.

Wheelman

There are several discussions about using a 10mm ring gear with a 12mm LSD, do some searching and you'll see that it is possible.

I am aware of this. But the question was whether it would bolt in. Which it will not. At least not without other mods.

On a personal note, I would never feel comfortable with spacers in a diff. It may very well work fine, but the diff is quite possibly the hardest hit component in the drivetrain. The last thing I would want to do is insert another part that might fail. Again, I'm not making a judgement call here, just stating that it is nothing I would ever suggest to another.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

I picked up this KAAZ unit and it DID fit perfectly into my 1976 S30 coupe with an R-200 longnose differential case.

The unit had an open carrier with 29 spline stub axles and the stock u-joint half shafts.

It was basically an R&R job.

Something interesting is that this is the second LSD swap we have done on an S30 model Z; both being 1976 Coupes.

The first one had the 10mm ring gear bolts which we put in a modified OBX helical unit; we did not use any bolt spacers, just followed proper torque specs and used loctite.

The one we did yesterday had 12mm ring gear bolts, which as noted was a completely direct bolt in with the KAZZ unit.

The KAAZ is a very nice unit, great workmanship and quality build; no need to do any modifications or swap in stronger parts etc.

The 2 way LSD does have a high breakaway torque, so my suggestion is that if you drive on where the roads are wet or have ice/snow, you need to be light on the gas pedal.

Here it is dry 90% of the year, so all I gotta worry about now is much faster wear on the rear tires.

Cheers.

Also a 2 way diff is a little agressive depending what you want to do. A 2 way will be under full lock under deceleration. Normally 2 ways are popular in the drift crowd. If your after something more torwards weekend auto-x or some track days you might look at a 1 way or 1.5 way.