HybridZ

87-89 LSD w/axles: $450.00 Good Price???

JSM

I found a guy locally who has the CLSD above. Do I want the Axles or not for a 73 240z? I'm thinking I should have kept my CV's from my 280zxt. Is the price too high?

Sorry, for not searching a little more. I'm trying to do this at work! :cool::nono:

I thought that the powerbrute's were NLA?

Oh, thats news to me. I would call Reider Racing and ask. It appears to be so from the last post in the group buy thread. Thats too bad. The KAAZ is something like $800 on Ebay though. Whether or not I would buy that over a worn OEM unit... well, probably. Alternatively an OBX Helical might work if they figured out how to fix its inherent quality issues.

Interesting... I don't know much about what works. Is that nearly plug'n'play for all Datsun R200s?

Pretty much. The only thing that might be needed is to have a sleeve made for the 10mm ring gear bolts, as these are made for the 12mm bolt ring gears. Or you can tap your ring gear?

Guest 3ftyZ

I have a question about this, forgive me as I'm still learning. Yes, i have read all the FAQ's but am still a bit confused.

The difference between the 12mm and 10mm bolt is what? Length, width, shoulder size, thread depth? ...or all of the above?

Racinjitter - when you say a sleeve is needed for this to work in an R200 (which applies to me), is this a sleeve for the shoulder? I'm not quite sure what this is as I have not seen the innards of my r200 or a 12mm v. 10mm setup.

I would like to purchase this LSD if i can figure out what it will really take to get this set up properly.

Also, I have a 73 240z running an r200 and i have a spare r200 as well. I purchased the car with the r200 installed so I am not positive this LSD will work for my application, how can I determine the LSD mentioned in this thread will work for me?

TIA,

3ftyz

I have a question about this, forgive me as I'm still learning. Yes, i have read all the FAQ's but am still a bit confused.

The difference between the 12mm and 10mm bolt is what? Length, width, shoulder size, thread depth? ...or all of the above?

Racinjitter - when you say a sleeve is needed for this to work in an R200 (which applies to me), is this a sleeve for the shoulder? I'm not quite sure what this is as I have not seen the innards of my r200 or a 12mm v. 10mm setup.

I would like to purchase this LSD if i can figure out what it will really take to get this set up properly.

Also, I have a 73 240z running an r200 and i have a spare r200 as well. I purchased the car with the r200 installed so I am not positive this LSD will work for my application, how can I determine the LSD mentioned in this thread will work for me?

TIA,

3ftyz

The difference is in the diameter of the bolt threads. See...

IMG_1604.jpg

If you have 29 spline input shafts then the diff Jason mentioned should work just fine.

You can either make the spacers to fit around the 10mm bolts to take up the 2mm of play. OR, you can tighten the bolts down to the appropriate specs. I have READ that that is good enough. Or you could have custom bolts made with the 12mm shoulder.

Tapping out the ring gear is something you might not want to do. I was thinking of having this done and decided against it for a couple reasons. I would have to take it to a machine shop to have it done since the ring gear is hardened. SINCE it is hardened it would most likely cost a ♥♥♥♥ load to have 10 holes tapped. They would have to have a tapping method to where the tap would not go all the way through the other side into the actual teeth of the ring gear.

I just decided to torque mine down and hope for the best. With 10 of them holding that bitch, I really dont see it breaking.

The other thing that has been bothering me is that everything that I have read says that the 84-89 r200 ring gears all use the 12mm bolts. I along with others have pulled them apart to find they are actually 10mm bolts. Mine was a CLSD out of an 88 turbo z. I'm wondering where all the info came from that said they are supposed to be 12mm.

The difference is in the diameter of the bolt threads. See...

IMG_1604.jpg

If you have 29 spline input shafts then the diff Jason mentioned should work just fine.

You can either make the spacers to fit around the 10mm bolts to take up the 2mm of play. OR, you can tighten the bolts down to the appropriate specs. I have READ that that is good enough. Or you could have custom bolts made with the 12mm shoulder.

Tapping out the ring gear is something you might not want to do. I was thinking of having this done and decided against it for a couple reasons. I would have to take it to a machine shop to have it done since the ring gear is hardened. SINCE it is hardened it would most likely cost a ♥♥♥♥ load to have 10 holes tapped. They would have to have a tapping method to where the tap would not go all the way through the other side into the actual teeth of the ring gear.

I just decided to torque mine down and hope for the best. With 10 of them holding that bitch, I really dont see it breaking.

The other thing that has been bothering me is that everything that I have read says that the 84-89 r200 ring gears all use the 12mm bolts. I along with others have pulled them apart to find they are actually 10mm bolts. Mine was a CLSD out of an 88 turbo z. I'm wondering where all the info came from that said they are supposed to be 12mm.

I just wanted to point out the fact that I am an idiot! The bolts out of the 88 z31 turbo diff ARE 12mm. The bolts that came out of the Q45 diff are 13mm. I could have swore that I measured them before, but I guess not. I actually did this time. It is 12mm for the z and 13mm for the Q. Sorry guys.

I'm a kid in a candy store today. I bought one for $450.00 yesterday w/ axles. I'm getting another one

next week from the same guy for $350.00 and I picked one up today in the junkyard for $108.00!

All said and done I'll have three for $908.00. I'll be ebaying two in the next few weeks.

For these types of R200 LSD do I really need to clean them up or do people not care because what they are?

Here is a pic of the two I have now:

PIC00005.JPG

Sounds like good buys. I have had ~3 or 4 of those units before. For my own though I finally went the distance and just built a Powerbrute into an NA 3.7 12mm bolt R200. Realistically it isn't that hard and you get the all new bearings plus a brand new competition LSD center for about the same price or less than a used unit with the clutch per side setup and worn bearings that usually (from my experience) need to be replaced.

For these types of R200 LSD do I really need to clean them up or do people not care because what they are?

I would clean them up to bring top dollar but I would like to talk with you about one of those. No clean up necessary, local pick up and I do need to get my hoist back so no waisted trip. I'll give you a call.

I would clean them up to bring top dollar but I would like to talk with you about one of those. No clean up necessary, local pick up and I do need to get my hoist back so no waisted trip. I'll give you a call.

Jeff, just let me know when you want me to bring it back. I'll swing back by where we first met.

Thanks again! How is the Z coming along?