HybridZ

New Product, opinions?

xxjoeyxxeb

Might work if put on the end caps of intercoolers.. if its a small intercooler or maybe high hp cars. Also same for radiators, but I wouldn't think the car would need crazy high hp for radiator applications. I think they put it on some good locations though: oil pan, tranny, diff.

Mixed thoughts on this one. The idea is good, the execution not so much imho. Reason being that these are meant to be stuck on anything... oil filters, differentials, etc. I think it is much better to make a solid heat sink for the specific application which is not always that easy though... Not having full contact with the hot surface also probably hurts the design. In addition it looks like it probably causes a lot of drag - I would think straight fins would be better, but I don't know. Also pretty sure the iron part of the diff. casing wasn't the ideal place to mount the fins.

I read that article, and they claim that they followed up with 3M to see if the adhesive really would transmit heat. Supposedly that tape is made specifically to be thermally conductive, so at least the tried to make it legitimate...I'd looks like something I'd be tempted to use on IC piping, but I worry about it getting enough cool air across it under the hood to matter.

but I worry about it getting enough cool air across it under the hood to matter.

Just thinking about all the posts talking about hoods bulging... I think as long as you havn't blocked off most of the front end and done of bunch of sealing up there you should have plenty of flow.

On new cars I'm not so certain.

I agree it seems like a good idea, but it also seems as though the follow through isn't that spectacular. As stated earlier, strait fins would cause much less drag in areas like the oil pan, diff, and transmission, and those fins aren't NEARLY compact enough to be very efficiant. They should also be taking advantage of a copper heat pipe if they want REAL heat transfer.

Just do some research into CPU cooling, it's been one of the leading markets of cooling fins for several years now, as hardware manufatures are starting to truly reach limits of the early CPU materials, forcing companies to find new, more effient materials to make computer chips with. Seems like most manufatures tend to be using heatsinks that look like what the hardcore overclockers were using 1-2 years ago, that's how fast it advances, and that's how demanding the cooling situations are.

Those heat sinks look like they're from the old pentium 3 days. :puke:

They needs a thin layer of copper on the mating surface, with a copper pipe distributing the heat to the rest of the aluminium. Now THAT will pull some heat off.

I also don't think they should be making these flexible sheets, but solid sheets of varius sizes. Then MAYBE make a flexible sheet for piping, but I'd sooner suggest some fixed circumference sizes so people could order them for 2.5" 3" or other common pipe sizes. A fixed block will mean much more heat transfer and more effient cooling effects. With them flexible they're basically operating as singular heat sinks, meaning there's almost no "fin" at all, just a spike.... That's not going to cool very well.

The fins needs to be much finer and packed in there. Thinner fins mean MUCH more surface area to go through the air while keeping a minimum contact patch. Thinner fins also transfer heat easier from the core.

But if you think about it.... In cases involving liquid, it's probably better to spend the money on a cooler. Even a basic oil cooler mounted in a place air doesn't get to much like in the transmission tunnel will probably have a much greater impact on gearbox temps than sticking a bunch of fins to it. Plus then you don't have to worry about the drag increase, and can also increase the fluid quantity, bringing temps down further.

It might have possabilities for intercooler piping, but i'm skeptical.

I read that article, and they claim that they followed up with 3M to see if the adhesive really would transmit heat. Supposedly that tape is made specifically to be thermally conductive, so at least the tried to make it legitimate...I'd looks like something I'd be tempted to use on IC piping, but I worry about it getting enough cool air across it under the hood to matter.

I've heard of some kind of 3M tape that is designed for thermal conduction before, specifically in computer heat sink applications. I'd assume it's the same stuff?

Well its not coming from some no name company so thats a plus.

APC isn't no-name so that isn't saying much...

LOL

There are MUCH better materials that will do MUCH better at transmitting heat for the effort..LOL

Even better shaped aluminum would work. It's all about contact area and surface area.