Electric 240z Project Pics

jmead

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just watched the old movie "Who Killed the Electric Car". It was enlightening, but I do take it with a grain of salt. It did however, spark my interest in electric vehicles. I already fly electric RC, and the power in those LiPo batteries is amazing.

I am getting the itch to build an electric car...

I am following this thread closely. Keep up the great work. :burnout:

Guest DaveBonds

After wanting a Z for over two years, seeing this thread and growing to hate the oil industry more and more every day (especially in the past two-three months), I'll be building an electric 240 this year without a doubt. I've got some ideas brewing, but I'll wait to post anything until I get started. I'll have the means to do it relatively soon.

I love the work being done here.

...growing to hate the oil industry more and more every day...

And when you do get around to building an Electric Z, you should recharge the car with solar energy. That way you could be almost totaly free from the Oil restraints. Thats what I want to do some day.

Did anyone else see the interesting Electric Powered 280 Z at MSA?

It was built by a shop called "Operation Z", which is located in Northridge, Ca. It had a 9" motor with 144 volts but the batteries were wet cell to keep the cost down. It had a 5 speed trans and they turned the motor on for me and ran it. There must have been a clutch to do that.

I liked it except it was too quiet.

Can you turbo an electric motor?:icon56::mrgreen:

It was built by a shop called "Operation Z", which is located in Northridge, Ca. It had a 9" motor with 144 volts but the batteries were wet cell to keep the cost down. It had a 5 speed trans and they turned the motor on for me and ran it. There must have been a clutch to do that.

My motor has a turbo

dscn2053-1.jpg

No clutch in this Z, I just had it in neutral.

Joe

No clutch in this Z, I just had it in neutral.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks again for the info and demonstration you provided. You have a great Z.

Jmead,

You also have a very impressive Z and I hope you provide lots more info when you take the Z to the dragstrip.

Hanns

Joe,

Thanks again for the info and demonstration you provided. You have a great Z.

Jmead,

You also have a very impressive Z and I hope you provide lots more info when you take the Z to the dragstrip.

Hanns

Thanks T M,

Looks like you have a very inpressive Z yourself.

Joe

In theorie what would it need to be forever going ? meaning no charging ever except when you have the time to plug it ?

You just need a generator with an output sufficient to maintain whatever speed you want. For long distance highway travel I think about 20kw would be just right, which would require something like 30-40hp.

And would solar panels be enought to have such a generator going ? Or a diesel generator that you configure to work with fryer oil .

20,000 watts would require about 2000 square feet of solar panels, in bright sun. I think the most you could reasonably fit on a datsun would be around 40 sq ft.

You could achieve that output with a diesel, but it would have to be about twice the size of the one I'm using.

If I were building the car for sustained highway travel (at higher speeds) I'd probably go with a 3cyl metro engine. They put out about 50hp peak, so it would be comfortable running at a sustained 15-20kw. At this point there really isn't any advantage to electric though. Your taking fuel (chemical energy), converting it into rotary motion (mechanical energy), into electricity (electrical energy), and then using it to propel the car (mechanical energy). An electric really excels at city driving where your speed is always changing, lots of sitting motionless, quick stops followed by quick accelerations etc.

Up to a couple hundred miles you may see some benefit because a percentage of the energy is still coming from the batteries instead of fuel, but you also have to consider the penalty of the increased weight and the energy conversion losses.

Vrey interessting im just curious what would be needed to get 5 to 600 KM range from the car before needing to charge . I would like to try it on my freinds 5 serie BMW wagon he has a blown engine and dont really know what he'll do next . I asked about the solar panel thinking a wagon may have alot more room for solar panels . I gues a very small diesel generator is needed but i think it could also be converted to vegetable oil like any diesle car engine .

I just checked the liFePO4 batterrys and if you use 6 24v 80ah fork lift battery it would be really amazing on the weight saving factore since the would be a total weight of around 440 lbs . Not bad http://www.yesa.com.cn/product_pack.asp?lb=1&id=0

Vrey interessting im just curious what would be needed to get 5 to 600 KM range from the car before needing to charge . I would like to try it on my freinds 5 serie BMW wagon he has a blown engine and dont really know what he'll do next . I asked about the solar panel thinking a wagon may have alot more room for solar panels . I gues a very small diesel generator is needed but i think it could also be converted to vegetable oil like any diesle car engine .

I just checked the liFePO4 batterrys and if you use 6 24v 80ah fork lift battery it would be really amazing on the weight saving factore since the would be a total weight of around 440 lbs . Not bad http://www.yesa.com.cn/product_pack.asp?lb=1&id=0

Anything over 200 miles is beyond the capability of even cutting edge technology on battery power alone. With the affordable tech even 100 is near impossible, unless you design a car around the batteries (john wayland's truck "red beastie" can do 100 miles on lead acid I believe). I think the best bet for that range is a hybrid, similar to what I'm planning. You can't beat fuel for kw/lb.

A BMW wagon would be a very cool project. Lots of room for batteries, but with alot more style than the rusty ford wagon that seems to be so common.

Those LiFePO4 look very interesting, I had no idea they had made it to industrial use in forklifts and such yet. hopefully it won't be long before you can score them in junkyards and second hand with thousands of cycles remaining for a fraction of the cost new. It seems to me that LiFePO4 is the future, and we're on the verge of the transportation revolution because of it. They just need to crank up the production to millions of units and get the price down. I can't wait for the Lithium Z.

This project of your got me doing some research now that petrol locally is now $2 a litre or approx $6.23 US a gallon and I think a 280zx would be better due to the better drag co-efficient of the S130 body design over the S30. I read on a EV site that you want to use a car with a low Cd, ideally under 0.35 the 240z has a 0.47 Cd vs the 280zx 0.38 or better yet a 300ZXT (with chin spoiler and rear spoiler/wing) Z31 with a Cd of only 0.30 (0.31 for the standard car)

The Ferrari Enzo has an aerodynamic drag coefficient as poor as 0.36 so the Nissan ZX range looks good :)