HybridZ

Electric 240z Project Pics

jmead

This project of your got me doing some research now that petrol locally is now $2 a litre or approx $6.23 US a gallon and I think a 280zx would be better due to the better drag co-efficient of the S130 body design over the S30. I read on a EV site that you want to use a car with a low Cd, ideally under 0.35 the 240z has a 0.47 Cd vs the 280zx 0.38 or better yet a 300ZXT (with chin spoiler and rear spoiler/wing) Z31 with a Cd of only 0.30 (0.31 for the standard car)

The Ferrari Enzo has an aerodynamic drag coefficient as poor as 0.36 so the Nissan ZX range looks good :)

Wow and to think i thoought it was outragous at 1,50/litres of gas im really starting to cry now thinking it could go up to 2$ soon :frown:

Thats why this project is of such a great interest because over a year worth of gas the price of the EV car would be absorbed . Im just waiting to see what range this EV-Z does with the generator installed ! All i really want is to be able to do around 600 km even if it has a generator its still cheaper then regular gas powered car . My regular trips are of about 60 miles one way and some times like a 7-8 times a year trips at 300 miles range .

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I built an electric Z, it would be AWD haha.

actually, the first thing I would build would be an old electric VW bug.

You are my hero, I always wanted to do that to a bug, actually, I just want a bug period. Just not a super beetle! =[

I was just wondering if you could use 480v 3 phase a/c power to charge your setup? if so u can get a heliocopter generator (alternator) that at full speed 8000 rpm produces 400hz but if you powered it down to 1200 rpm you would have 480v 3 phase 60 hz for a quick charge ?

just throwing ideas out there. it weighs 48 lbs and is the size of a r-200 pumpkin not the goose neck. ?

I was just wondering if you could use 480v 3 phase a/c power to charge your setup? if so u can get a heliocopter generator (alternator) that at full speed 8000 rpm produces 400hz but if you powered it down to 1200 rpm you would have 480v 3 phase 60 hz for a quick charge ?

just throwing ideas out there. it weighs 48 lbs and is the size of a r-200 pumpkin not the goose neck. ?

Very interesting. I never would have looked at something like that as a possibility. 480 is a bit much but there are ways of stepping it down, so I don't see any reason why not. 60hz isn't required, in fact, something like 400hz might be even better. Any idea of the amps one of those can put out?

Im thinking about doing a Geo metro (1200lbs)...Thats after my 1jz swap...:) Only problem is i might have to make it 2 seater cause those cars are small...no room for bat.

Very popular conversion, there are even companies that sell pre made motor adapter plates and stuff. Plus the ability to use lower rated components (6.7" motor instead of a 9", 72v controller instead of 144v, etc) would really keep the costs down alot.

http://www.evalbum.com/type/GEO

Lots of good examples there.

Ok, maybe I'm just especially green today, but is anyone else itching to buy a old yota truck with a dead motor?

Could fit quite a few batteries, decently light, and I could STILL leave room for guitar gear... If I could get 150+ range it'd be worth considering. That might be a LOT of batteries though.

Ok, maybe I'm just especially green today, but is anyone else itching to buy a old yota truck with a dead motor?

Could fit quite a few batteries, decently light, and I could STILL leave room for guitar gear... If I could get 150+ range it'd be worth considering. That might be a LOT of batteries though.

150 miles is a little optimistic unless you go lithium. I did find one example;

http://www.evalbum.com/037

"Red Beastie" that can do 150 miles city, 120 highway. That is 2 strings of 20 6v flooded batteries. Total weight of "5,260 Pounds"

http://www.evalbum.com/popupimg.php?2067

Very interesting. I never would have looked at something like that as a possibility. 480 is a bit much but there are ways of stepping it down, so I don't see any reason why not. 60hz isn't required, in fact, something like 400hz might be even better. Any idea of the amps one of those can put out?

250-500 amps depends on the size, the weight is the same but they have longer shafts for different uses.

I am a forklift mechanic and i have been collecting parts for a while for the swap into somthing, i have a 36v and a 48 volt drive motor for forklifts sitting at my shop, and i am serious about the swap, not into my z but whatever i can find thats cool, just a few questions about the potentiometer set up and the drive train,

1. are you using a scr panel or some kind of box to control the motor, or just streight up contactors/ speed pot, how do you control the smoothness of the motor for around town cruising?

2.are you using a clutch or when you lift off the throttle does the electric motor speed match the gearbox and a clutch is not needed?

instant torque, my 48v motor should put out 400 ft lbs torque with the batterys seriesed properly, and our battery tech says we can keep throwing voltage to the motor and it will keep multiplying till it melts the motor...hehehe 1000 ft lbs tq is not difficult to get he says.

1. are you using a scr panel or some kind of box to control the motor, or just streight up contactors/ speed pot, how do you control the smoothness of the motor for around town cruising?

2.are you using a clutch or when you lift off the throttle does the electric motor speed match the gearbox and a clutch is not needed?

dscn2025.jpg

The motor speed is completely under the control of the 1000A PWM controller shown in the upper left corner. I have a small potentiometer connected to the throttle that tells the controller how much juice to apply.

I'm not using a clutch, and you've got it right. To shift I just let off the throttle and slowly apply pressure to the gear I'd like to shift to. I don't force it and it simply goes into gear when it is ready. Downshifting is a little harder, you need to rev up the motor and do the same thing, it engages when the rpms match. It took me a few days to get used to it but now all my shifts are smooth and grind free. Plus there is no need to shift when you come to a stop, so alot of the time its just like driving an automatic.

why has no one else thought about getting a 4x4 truck front axle and using two motors connected to 4.11 gears and 13 inch tires??????

add a small diesel generator and you have an AWD, electric Z with battery power and diesel generation a-la modern locomotives...

i LIKE this idea!! I had no idea it could be done so simply in a Z. For some reason most of the other conversions I have seen seemed far more complex. I suspect I may have been exposed primarily to AC conversions.

This would make a GREAT car to deliver pizza in :D

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work truly! but why a Z? You have smog exempt at your fingertips to build something crazy fast and you choose batteries... Dont take it the wrong way, Im not knocking the project in any way but why not do this to a civic or something like that? Gas prices do suck though, and once again, Nice Work!

Nice work truly! but why a Z? You have smog exempt at your fingertips to build something crazy fast and you choose batteries... Dont take it the wrong way, Im not knocking the project in any way but why not do this to a civic or something like that? Gas prices do suck though, and once again, Nice Work!

Because he wanted to look cool in an electric car; plain and simple!!

You list your location as Napa... I presume thats CA, and you have plenty of roads that you LOVE driving down spiritedly in your Z, with the windows down, wind in your hair, etc....... now, do something.

Close your eyes, put yourself there with a rising or setting half-moon, zipping around the corners..... silently. Nothing but a whirr and tire noise, and the rest of Creation surrounding you.

As addicted to exhaust note as I am, as connected to the machine as you feel when you hear it... I found myself picturing this scenario recently in two different state parks down here (one of which I plan on scattering my ashes in ultimately.. ie, my favorite place on earth) and the thought of NO exhaust note turned me on more than any exhaust note I could picture.

(I say exhaust note, but I lump in valvetrain sound, intake voice, etc.. the entire sound of the engine.)

Seriously, think about it. Doesn't THAT have an ENORMOUS appeal?