HybridZ

aftermarket stroker kits for the l series?

wherezmytofu

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!! Paeco makes a stroker kit and its only $2000 for a crankshaft AND forged pistons? According to their website, you get 3.2L with only a 1.5MM overbore and their crankshaft increases the stroke by .25" ? thats an 85MM stroke. Is that a fully counterweighted crankshaft?

"Stroked Paecolloy crankshaft: The crankshaft is built to standard size journals with the hard nickel-chrome alloy and the stroke is increased to the appropriate length. The crank is then glasspeened to stress relieve it and balanced"

that to me says its a custom crankshaft and is NOT merely offset ground. This is kind of big news........ Im going to have to look into this.

EDIT: nevermind. just looked into this and called. they are stock crankshafts with the journals byuilt up using "submerged welding" then offset ground to give stroke, but all the journals are standard sized.

And a welded crank is a bad thing? If done properly, apparently it's good enough to be commercially made. VW nuts use them all the time. Only thing i see wrong, is that eventually you run into the bottom end of the cylinder...

That's the problem I was gonna hit...

That is the standard for offset grinding. You weld up and offset grind. Works well.

Kameari makes a forged 85mm crank...it's cost is a bit higher than what Paeco charges.

Also keep in mind, if Paeco is standing behind their stuff like they were doing 20 years ago (they have been around for a while), Paecolloy journals are warrantied FOR LIFE against any damage. Hardfacing alloy used for VERY hard crankshafts for use in Racing Engines. If you ingest dirt or have a filter that bypasses and sends grit to the bearings, the hardfacing insures that the BEARINGS are the things that get eaten up, and not your expensive crankshaft.

Submerged Arc Welding has been commonplace in the VW performance stroker realm for years. When you can make a 2.8 and 3.0 Liter four cylinder from an engine originally of 1500 CC's, it kind of tells you something! Big bores only get you so far!!!

I never said offset grinding was a bad thing, I was just amazed at the fact they were selling what seemed to be a completely new crankshaft and forged pistons for $2000. I was thinking (wishfully) that the crank was a new forging with full counterweights. thats why I was so surprised, upon first glance.