HybridZ

Ported exhaust manifold compared to stock pics

Well, I recently got a extra exhaust manifold, So I decided while Im waiting on my IC piping to get tigged up, I was going to port the exhaust manifold. I used a Carbide bit and a air die grinder. A buddy of mine came over and helped smooth everything out. This is the first time I have tried anything like this. Changes I am hoping to see, Faster spool, alittle more HP and Tq along with more powerband up higher in the revs. I also ported the exhaust housing of the turbo to match the newly ported exhaust manifold.

Here are the pics.

Here is the Stock exhaust manifold with the larger opening gasket.

DSC00473.JPG

DSC00474.JPG

Here is the ported manifold

DSC00477.JPG

DSC004791.JPG

Comparo side by side

DSC00482.JPG

stock vs ported close up..

DSC004861.JPG

DSC00487.JPG

Turbo exhaust housing.

DSC00483.JPG

Tell me what yall think...

Go back in there with some sanding rolls and smooth out the cuts. Any kind of sharp edge from your porting work will be a stress riser. Over time, through the hundereds of heat cycles that manifold will go through, a crack will start.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought in a turbo application exhaust velocity was more important that flow between the head and turbo, but after the turbo it was flow that was important? So in essence you've really increased your turbo lag by increasing the size of the exhaust runners. Just my $.02

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought in a turbo application exhaust velocity was more important that flow between the head and turbo, but after the turbo it was flow that was important? So in essence you've really increased your turbo lag by increasing the size of the exhaust runners. Just my $.02

Well we shall see, but I do know that Ivan picked up a pretty substantial amount of power by doing this. Ivans manifold is now on garretts car which was making 460rwhp on pump gas. Now with his new head should be closer to 5XX or so. I am thinking I will actually get boost alittle sooner and flow more at higher RPMs.

I guess if you're engine is built appropriately it should net gains instead of lag. I was just thinking an engine with a basically stock or slightly modded engine would lose out on a manifold port. Made sense in my head anyway...:)

Garretts was about the same as mine is right now, his is bored over to a 3.0 ltr, Mine is still a 2.8, but I have JE forged pistsons, 8:0.1 compression ratio compared to stock 7:4.1. The head has been rebuilt with a 3 angle valve job and port matched. I am not restricted with a AFM now. The faster you can get air into the motor and out of the motor , the more power you will make. Has any one else lost power from porting the exhaust manifold? from what it looks like stock.. its really not designed that great, 4 cly lead through a tiny little hole to the turbo flange, then the other 2 cly are pretty much open. I am expecting some gains, but I doubt they will be huge.. Every little bit helps though.

Well, it's not so much a loss in power as it's an increase in lag. See with the turbo spool up you want the exhaust gasses moving as fast as possible when they hit the turbine so it spins faster. By widening the path the gasses move through you're increasing the flow rate, but decreasing the velocity. Think of two pipes, one 1" and the other 2". If you put 10lbs of pressurized water into the 1" pipe and it exits into the 2" pip the water flow will slow down and you'll lose some of the pressure. This is the same concept for the turbo. If you you "dump" all that pressure into a wider opening you'll lose pressure and speed. I hope that makes sense...

Great thread, I'll be porting my exhaust manifold this summer, so very timely.

Naviathan, I see your point, especially as it might apply to a basically stock engine. Sorry I don't have the experience or technical know how to comment further. I'm hoping to make 350 rwhp with my mods, so I'm expecting there will be plenty of volume and velocity that the exhaust porting will help.

Well, it's not so much a loss in power as it's an increase in lag. See with the turbo spool up you want the exhaust gasses moving as fast as possible when they hit the turbine so it spins faster. By widening the path the gasses move through you're increasing the flow rate, but decreasing the velocity. Think of two pipes, one 1" and the other 2". If you put 10lbs of pressurized water into the 1" pipe and it exits into the 2" pip the water flow will slow down and you'll lose some of the pressure. This is the same concept for the turbo. If you you "dump" all that pressure into a wider opening you'll lose pressure and speed. I hope that makes sense...

before with my hybrid T3/T4 sleeper turbo.. I was getting 18psi @ 3100rpms.. we shall see.

• 2 weeks later...
Think of two pipes, one 1" and the other 2". If you put 10lbs of pressurized water into the 1" pipe and it exits into the 2" pip the water flow will slow down and you'll lose some of the pressure. This is the same concept for the turbo. If you you "dump" all that pressure into a wider opening you'll lose pressure and speed. I hope that makes sense...

That's not quite apples and apples there. The water analogy assumes the water flow is optimized at 10psi and you open up the pipe.

In the exhaust system the exhaust gasses are restricted quite a bit, and their flow is nowhere NEAR optimized in the current passages. And regardless of all that, the turbo manifold dumps into the turbine housing, the most restrictive part of the whole system. It's exactly opposite of the 1" to 2" analogy. It's more like dumping a 2" pipe to a .375 Jet Nozzle!

What he has accomplished is making his US Spec Manifold flow more like the Euro Turbo manifold. If you have ever seen the Euro manifold, the runner towards the front is more than 1 5/8" in diameter (meaning larger than the SFP Tubular Manifold some have!) and the step on the turbo inlet flange is eliminated completely compared to the US 2.8 and JDM 2L specification manifolds.

The only difference between the 2l JDM turbo and the 2.8l US Spec unit is the A/R on the turbine is .48 as opposed to .63. THAT will make FAR more difference on the spool characteristics of the engine than the removal of restrictive manifolding. As long as that turbine A/R is that small, the exhaust manifold will not be the primary 'velocity device'.

The Euro Turbo cars have .82 A/R, with the derestrictive manifold, and 200HP rated power.

I have run both the JDM and US Spec turbine housings on a US manifold, and the spool changed noticeably. But cutting the manifold open only helped on the top end, I noticed nothing on the bottom end. Meaning the spool was the same (boost threshold), but the engines seemed much more willing to rev beyond the original 5500rpms of the stock manifold.