MONZTER

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monzter,

I'm running the same strut bars front and rear and I like the balance of the car too.

I really need a harness bar and wondered if you'd consider making a batch?

I usually make these kinds of parts just for myself, but its such a simple part. I'll think about it and let you know.

Jeff

Thanks guys. But the problem is always “if the price is right" and there is nothing wrong with that. Really, I have no interest in making a couple of bucks, or even a bunch of bucks of anybody on this forum. This is my hobby that I do for enjoyment, If I were to make some parts it would be more to help people out who don’t have the equipment to fabricate their own parts. That being said, I also am not going to lose money, by making some parts. Really, by time you consider laser cutting the brackets from 1/4 CHMO plate, doing a heavy tumble to remove the scale, buying the CHMO tube, building the fixture, welding the parts, chroming or powder coating them, it’s not going to be cheap, I don’t think anything that is done nicely is. What if I made you guys some prints of the brackets, and of the cut length of the bar, this way you could make your own with whatever means you have. It would really be much cheaper, and keep with the spirit of this forum, building hybrids.:)

Monzter...I would be willing to make a batch for Hybridz. I have access to most everything you mention at a decent price...even a great welder able to lay bead down like yourself!. The only unknown is powder paint, lots around here but I havent used any recently.

If everyone was willing to accept unpainted parts Id be willing to move ahead for sure. Otherwise I need to do more homework. Material cost is minimal welding is a bit more...shipping needs to be determined.

What do you think? Let me know!

I'm just thinking to myself "How many of these 35 year old cars are going to be exactly the same width?" Might need a port-a-powr to get the thing installed in some cases, in others might need to suck the sides of the car in with the bolts. It might be a good idea to get a measurement off of a couple cars before whoever wants to make this thing just starts building, since there is no way to adjust the width.

I would be interested in a bar like Jeff made as well. I'm pretty tall, so I'm a little concerned about interference with the back of my seat as well as the possible differences in vehicles like Jon mentioned. Hopefully I’ll be able to check it out personally this weekend. I have no problem with getting one without paint or powdercoat.

Let me explain how I built the bar.

First the flat spots on the chassis is not parallel, so trying to cut/miter the cross tube perfect for welding is a pain in the arse. So what I did was cut a 1-3/8 hole in the mounting plates that allowed the bar to slip through it. Given the mounting plates are 1/4 thick, this gives you some easy tolerance and makes a square saw cut possible. Next I "threaded" the mounting brackets over the bar, and bolted the brackets to the chassis with precision thickness 3/8 washers between the mounting plates and the chassis. I did this to add a little more wiggle room to make installation easier. After bolting in the brackets with the washers in place the bar is perfectly aligned and ready to tack. After tacking the bar I removed it and welded it 100% on the table. So the thickness of the washers could be adjusted to compensate for different "alignment" problems with different cars. So, that’s how I would do it, any comments?

Let me explain how I built the bar.

First the flat spots on the chassis is not parallel, so trying to cut/miter the cross tube perfect for welding is a pain in the arse. So what I did was cut a 1-3/8 hole in the mounting plates that allowed the bar to slip through it. Given the mounting plates are 1/4 thick, this gives you some easy tolerance and makes a square saw cut possible. Next I "threaded" the mounting brackets over the bar, and bolted the brackets to the chassis with precision thickness 3/8 washers between the mounting plates and the chassis. I did this to add a little more wiggle room to make installation easier. After bolting in the brackets with the washers in place the bar is perfectly aligned and ready to tack. After tacking the bar I removed it and welded it 100% on the table. So the thickness of the washers could be adjusted to compensate for different "alignment" problems with different cars. So, that’s how I would do it, any comments?

Soooo, when will you be manufacturing these for sale?! I'd definitely be interested! Great job!

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

I really just don’t have the time to build much right now. I have some heavy deadlines going on at work, so not much car work right now. Really it is a simple part. Just put a pc of paper over the holes and scrub the paper with a crayon. Draw some circles around the hole tracings and connect the dots. I cut mine out with a band saw and sanded it straight with a disc sander and drum sander. You can do it I know it. This would be a great first fab project for someone.

Good luck

MONZTER

Guys, the fabrication on this is simple and I'm not worried about how to do it.

My, and I think most users' issue is access to the proper tools. In this case it'll require at least a metal band saw (or laser burn table, or plasma cutter), grinder, slow speed drill press, metal hole saw, welder, tumbler (or a bunch of sanding) and paint/powder coat.

From some of MONZTER's other posts it looks like he has access to a proper machine shop and produces some awesome stuff. I also understand priorities and work load.

No worries I'll put one together and let you all know how it comes out. Thanks for sharing the idea and approach.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to take a stab at this project as my first bit of fabrication on the car (although it needs much more). Had some free time with the brother, so we went for it.

harness_bar1-1.jpg

Used the oxy/acetyl torch to cut the flat pieces. It took some grinding to make them look nice, seeing as I wasn't too great with the torch. Had a little trouble drilling the holes, but we managed. After that, cut the piping with slight angles and beveled the edges. Set the bar in place, and tacked it in. Then pulled it out, and my brother welded it up. Sorry about the blurry cellphone picture:

harness_bar2-1.jpg

I'm pretty darn happy with it. Thanks for the directions MONZTER. What do you guys think?