HybridZ

Is my Z an early or late 74' 260z

Hey, I was just wondering if my 74' 260 was an early version or a later version. When I look at the tag on the Driver's door jam it says 5/74. My car came with no bumpers so I have no idea if is an early or late version. Do I need the Vin# to check this?

Hate to thread jack, this could help....My z has full red tail lights, and back lights on the tag portion..does this also mean it's a early 260?
If you are talking about 280z style tail lights, all 260z's had those. The only major differences I know of between early and late 260z's are the bumpers, body indentations for the rear bumper, front turn signals, and maybe the rear shock towers, I don't recall if those changed or not. The tranny tunnel may also have changed, but I'm not sure on that either. I feel like I'm missing a few of the other more obvious things though.

The '74.5 model S30 was produced from Sept. 1, 1974 until the start of the 1975 model year, so yours is a 1974 model. As mentioned, the external appearance/body is the same as the 1975 model, but the engine/powertrain remained the same as the '74 model. There are many other not so obvious changes from the '74 model to the '74.5 model.

First batch of 260Z use the 240Z body, later batch use the soon to be 280Z, you can tell by the door (locking mechanizing). Please correct me if I am mistaking.

V/R

Alex

Not correct. All 240, 260, and early 280's have the same early style door jam hardware.

It did not change until in the 77 model. This is how I understand it to be...

* Edit* this is of course for US spec.

Early 260Zs

2.005" OD strut tubes (240Z size).

25 spline stub axles.

240Z rear lower control arms.

240Z spring isolators.

Late 260Zs

2.15" OD strut tubes (280Z size).

27 spline stub axles.

280Z rear lower control arms.

280Z rear spring isolators (taller).

Unfortunately there's no date cotoff for the above items. They were added as the parts became available.

I have a publication from Nissan that illustrates all the changes from 1974-1974.5-1975. I was going to try to condense the info but there is too much to list here, but there are only a few parts that are '74.5 specific and did not make the transition to the 1975 model year. They are:

-fuel hose

-air conditioner hose

-exhaust center tube

-harness

-fuel tank(an increase of 1.4 US gal to 17.2 US gal (dependant on model)

The many other changes made for the '74.5 model were also incorporated into the 1975 model.

It can get confusing covering just the different model lines for North America. When broken down for California, USA, Canada, 2 seater, 2+2, manual trans, automatic trans and the 3 model years ('74,'74.5,'75) there are 36 different model designations listed.

Not correct. All 240, 260, and early 280's have the same early style door jam hardware.

It did not change until in the 77 model. This is how I understand it to be...

* Edit* this is of course for US spec.

Thank you for the correction is always good to learn something productive every day.:burnout:

Alex