HybridZ

Fixing a rusty gas tank

So I finally found a 75-76 gas tank to swap for the Z, the problem is it's rusty on the inside and the rust needs to go before I pop it in. I called a few shops since I know just flushing it won't do the job and they all quoted me 200-300 dollars. Does anyone have any idea on how I can get this out myself? I got the tank for free, so wasting a little bit of money isn't that bad. I just don't want to spend 200+ on one when I can just get a fuel cell.

I searched around and all I found was instructions on how to fix motorcycle tanks, but I don't know if it's the same material and if it would work at all. I'd love to get my 260z to finally work right, it's a real pain having an L28et and a carburated fuel tank.

this is what I did.

drain tank and remove the sending unit.

ad water and gravel.

shake the tanks until your arms fall off and then shake it some more.

when all the rust is gone remove the water and rinse thoroughly.

rinse the tank with a degreaser.

coat the tank with your favourite epoxy resin.

make sure that the pickup lines don't get clogged with epoxy.

I did not use the original fuel pickup line. I opted to weld some 3/8 npt bungs.

good luck.

I used Eastwood's tank lining kit, and followed their directions to the letter. It has worked out extremely well. It's been 2.5 years now, none of the coating has come loose, and all the rust was removed (there was a lot) by the process before the coating was applied.

The downside is that doing it right took me a total of about 12 hours, and it was miserable work.

But the total cost was about 80$ for their kit, 2 gallons of hydrochloric acid, and 2 quarts of phospho-rust (not required but I think it helped.) That's a lot cheaper than the 500$ a friend of mine paid for a coated tank, and at least I know I did it right.

Try to find the oldest, nastiest radiator shop in the worst part of a bad town. I did and got mine dunked in their acid tank and epoxy-lined for $100. Other than that, the DIY option is the way to go.

For $80 or so they boiled my tank and then acided it. I bought the Hirsch Gas Tank Sealer stuff and did that bit myself. I am not sure if gravel and water is a good idea since the tank has baffles (I do believe... my 72 240z tank had baffles) and the gravel will probably never come out.