HybridZ

Buzzing sound from internal fuse box

So this just leaves me baffled, i have a buzzing sound from the fuse block that inside the passenger side on the right of the feet for a 1983 280ZX,

and tonight the block started buzzing. It is distinctly the fuse block, i placed my ear next to it and it was directly from it.

I've never experienced this before.

The noise turns off when I go into reverse (5-speed man.)

What could be causing this, it seems like a short that may have to do w/ the reverse switch w/ the block but removing the fuse did not cause the sound to go away.

now, also, the lights on my dashboard like BRAKE! and FUEL! are lit up; and my voltmeter does not read though i have plenty of gas...

Any ideas??

so here is my problem with my radio i am sure.

the pictures i tried to be clear; there seems to be a piece missing that connects one side of the fuse to the wiring harness on the block. Its just not there. I circled in the picture. I compared to other fuse slots, and they all have a piece that looks like a rolling-bar/conduit of sorts that triggers the electrical connection when a fuse is inserted from the brown/red wire to the yellow, creating a complete circuit.

Maybe this should fix the radio problem

My radio doesn't turn on at any position right now

And there is weird buzzing, is definately coming from the fuse block itself. . . But i can't see any blue sparking or arcing of any kind, so I can only assume its the terminal that is busted is somehow grounding out. Though, i can't smell anything is burnt either...

I unfortunately am broke, and do not have access to a multimeter at the moment or amperage meter so this makes it difficult.

Unfortunately, how it looks from carfiche's electrical diagram of the fuse box, i may have blown that entire line out. . .

inline_thumb.jpg

0601081343_thumb.jpg

0601081343a_thumb.jpg

Everything on the left part of the circuit on *IGN* and *ACC* circuits, that is connected on the left row (not counting the headlights and such) are all shorted out. My warning lights are lit up, i really think i've found my problem.

1 The radio doesnt work,

2 My stop light works but it says that it doesnt on the warning display,

3 My blinkers do not work a'tall

4 and the sound (buzzing) stops when I go into the REVERSE POS. on my M/T . . .

I do believe I've found the culprit . . .

Now how do I fix this? lol That's where i'm stuck @. :fmad:

circuit_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

therustedguage

I am experiencing the buzzing on my 1981 280zxt. it goes away when my 3 speed auto goes into reverse. I have all the same symptoms as you except my radio works fine. It is a stock nissan radio.

Please tell me what you did to solve it. It is driving me crazy.

therustedguage

I am experiencing the buzzing on my 1981 280zxt. it goes away when my 3 speed auto goes into reverse. I have all the same symptoms as you except my radio works fine. It is a stock nissan radio.

Please tell me what you did to solve it. It is driving me crazy.

perhaps you have a ground issue and when you put your car into reverse, the ground on the reverse bulbs or sensors is bridged to the chassis, and allows the buzzing to go away through that ground?

hey, it could happen.

• 5 months later...
i have the same problem except mine is an automatic and the radio works fine. sometimes it of and when i put the signal on it started buzzing again. what was it? and how did u stop it?

I am still having the same problem that I had before which is the same as yours.

My whole problem started when I took apart the turnsignal branch off the steering wheel and put it back together trying to fix an unrelated problem.

First the buzzing used to go every 20 secs. Then it became a constant buzzing.

It goes away in reverse, my radio is just fine. When i turn the turn signals on the buzzing will buzz to the beat of the turn signals. Buzz, buzz, buzz. But the turn signals don't work.

I have looked at the turnsignal branch several times, but just cannot figure out what went wrong and where.