HybridZ

My LS1 swap

So after weighing the options of an RB26 and an LS1 I decided to go the V8 route. What i worried about most was breaking something on an RB and i felt way more comfortable with a chevy v8 as my uncle is quite educated with them and parts are more readily available. I bought an LS1 off out a fellow member here for $450 and then i have started accumulating parts and debt since then. While I was waiting to get that engine i found another more complete one on craigslist so i decide to buy it. When i get there i see this:

PICT0176.jpg

PICT0178.jpg

Lingenfelter vette sitting on 345"s

PICT0180.jpg

24 LS powered vehicles in all.

The engine I picked up:

361796501.jpg.

And finally the engine bay it is going into:

PICT0184.jpg

I have basically everything else I need for the swap ordered. Next week is going to be Christmas!!! Any comments or suggestions would be quite helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

A $450 LS1? What all did you get with it, that's not a bad price.

I'm just about to (re)start my swap. I had a SBC/TH350 combo but I found a killer deal on a T56 from a 2000 Camaro and another good deal on a Vortec 5.3 so I'm revising my plans and going the LSx route.

Good luck.

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Broken_wrenches

After searching on the internet and doing the junk yard crawl for months I see someone has gotten a killer deal on an ls1....anyone else feel this way? When am I going to happen on deal of the century!? For those of us not so fortunate I guess the search continues. Great deal by-the-way

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So here is whats up... Kevin sold the car the ls1 was going into, and decided to put it all in the more complete 240z he already had. Lots of progress has been made, in fact, we will probably be starting the car for the first time this week so watch for updates. Heres some pics.

l_4032ed5ed09f43bc8355dbe25ac54fb5.jpg

l_63a4f85269c945a68cb0827856599478.jpg

l_680ee3040cb2430ebd1ed837fd3dc995.jpg

l_2cc74202e45c4c5d8f0ee72e0d80c696.jpg

l_e9de87ad3c1d479c8bd1f9de8a0af3bc.jpg

l_4784da39372241f589c7a3931eb08a25.jpg

We finished all of the fuel system today... I guess now all there is to do is wire in the ignition system, which looks easy, The carb conversion came with a kit that hooks up and needs to be ran to a switched power. Oh, and that crank pully bolt needs to be torqued down, Like I said, any time this week!!!!

[quote=

l_4032ed5ed09f43bc8355dbe25ac54fb5.jpg

QUOTE]

Hi,

Your swap is looking good.

As a word of caution, mounting the fan directly to the radiator will cause the radiator to fail.

You should attach the fan to the aluminum flat bars that connects the upper and lower radiator brackets.

If you need some more flat bar, it is 1/4 x 3/4, and can often be purchased at hardware stores, or you can purchase some more flat bar that has been drilled and tapped from JTR.

Also, if you have cooling problems, make sure you bleed all of the air from the cooling system, and when first filling the cooling system, it helps to disconnect the upper hose at the splicer/tee, and pour coolant into the upper radiator hose that so that it goes directly into the engine, until the coolant flows out of the upper radiator outlet.

If you still have cooling problems, install a more powerful, shrouded fan.

• 1 month later...

The swap is basicaly done as far as we know, but we havnt even started it up yet, its been just a few random small things holding it back, but hopefully thats all been covered now and we should be firing her up this weekend, but I think Ive said that before so dont quote me.

and no, There isnt much room at all for an airfilter under the hood with that carb, a scoop of some sort will probably come into play. Kevin you wanna chime in?

I think if I use a low profile filter it *might* clear the hood. If not i'll adjust the bump stops and hope that helps. If it does not then a cowl induction hood is in the future. The intake manifold i have on there is a dual plane one which is more efficient in the low end and i plan on swapping it out for a single plane one and when i do that i will defiantly need a different hood.

Hi,

How is the build coming along? Do you think your carbed LS engine will clear the stock hood after you install an air filter?

cheers,

• 1 month later...