HybridZ

Trans bit the dust

We all new it would go sooner or later. This morning on the way to work under normal driving. Just started going crunch, crunch. Something broke inside, and is leaking so might of cracked the case. I can get another one, I no I need to upgrade but finding a 300zxTT 5 speed is hard to do. So I'm just going to get another 82, 83 NA 5 speed.

I'm not having a good month. Turbo, clutch, now the trans. But it will be all fresh stuff.:-(

I assume you could do it but it would be easy... is there a transmission with the "push forward shift down/pull back shift up at full throttle" style transmission? The only time you use the clutch is to get rolling... I love those. :)

ha ha, I got one of those, its called my motorcycle. After I get going I tend to never touch the clutch again.

I finally got a Z32 adapter and am awaiting a Z32 n/a transmission from Hoke.

Im gettn excited! Phil ive had a clutch and transmission failure last month. I 've been having alllloottt of problems lately with the Z.

Makes me want to buy a 2jZ and re-wire the entire car and be done with it

I'd like to do the Z32 swap, but I could easily see it running into the $1500 range by the time it was done (adapter+trans+seals & gasket+driveshaft+turbo downpipe+misc). So, I'm doing the SX swap instead. I'm working on a detailed write-up of this install. There's a lot of missing, vague and unverified info out there on this swap, so I've been documenting my progress every step of the way. I'm almost done. When it's complete I'll post the write-up here on Hybridz. But in the mean time, if you decide to go this route, you can check out my growing photo album of the swap on my motortopia.com page. There are comments for almost every picture, so don't miss those.

Click the picture for the link...

tn_small_DSC04293JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

BTW, everybody says that all of the SX transmissions are the same, but this does not appear to be true. The S14 SX gearbox has wider gears, according to measurements that I've found posted here on Hybridz, than the S13, plus it has a dual cone syncro on 2nd gear. The S13 gears are still wider than the 280ZX gears, but if you can find an S14 box, that should be your first choice.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I'd like to do the Z32 swap, but I could easily see it running into the $1500 range by the time it was done (adapter+trans+seals & gasket+driveshaft+turbo downpipe+misc). So, I'm doing the SX swap instead. I'm working on a detailed write-up of this install. There's a lot of missing, vague and unverified info out there on this swap, so I've been documenting my progress every step of the way. I'm almost done. When it's complete I'll post the write-up here on Hybridz. But in the mean time, if you decide to go this route, you can check out my growing photo album of the swap on my motortopia.com page. There are comments for almost every picture, so don't miss those.

Click the picture for the link...

tn_small_DSC04293JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

BTW, everybody says that all of the SX transmissions are the same, but this does not appear to be true. The S14 SX gearbox has wider gears, according to measurements that I've found posted here on Hybridz, than the S13, plus it has a dual cone syncro on 2nd gear. The S13 gears are still wider than the 280ZX gears, but if you can find an S14 box, that should be your first choice.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

thats a nice job. I got anoth zx trans in on Sunday. I drive the car almost everyday so I gotta have it back on the road. I'm going to look into the s14 tranny swap still.

i'm running the sx swap and love it! the first 4 gears are very close to a z 5 speed "A" box and 5th is better for cruising, especially with my 3.90 diff. i used the z countershaft bearing and although the sx bearing is bigger and can therefore handle more torque, i've never had a z tranny apart to find the front counter bearing gone. on all of mine its been one of the center main or counter support bearings. watch out for broken shift forks from kids power shifting the sx trannies, my first one had a shattered 1-2 and a crack 5-R. they are made of cast aluminum. i have some spares for mine now. the second one i took apart already had 2 of the forks replaced.