HybridZ

Sea Foam?

I have twin round top su's and im having trouble with my carbs Ive put sea foam in my tank but not in my carbs could someone give me step by step on how to clean twin round top su carbs with seafoam?

Cleaning SUs is a piece of cake. I've never thought of cleaning via the Seafoam method. It's easy enough to unscrew the dome, spray the domes, pistons, etc. clean with some carb cleaner and spray down the throttle bodies. That should clean everything but the bowls, which the Seafoam will clean, if there is anything there to clean. Most of the time, it's just carbon/sludge buildup that is easily clean. Put them back together and call it good.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bored_Rice

I have a 77 280z with 186k on it, and I heard you shouldn't sea foam on old high mileage because it can damage your seals. So should i do it?

cars I have seafoamed:

The Z, unknown mileage, broken speedo cable, I put at LEAST 60K on it myself, odo reads 11,500, so I assume at least 170K, possibly FAR more.. nary a problem.

My Geo Storm, (Isuzu 1.6 4cyl) 160K, zero problems, crankshaft developed issue where it ate woodruff keys/crank pulleys. Car junked.

My 87 Subaru GL-10, 1.8 OHC box-four, 170K. Seafoamed repeatedly in the least three years, runs like a raped ape (for a 1.8 econobox) leaks like a sieve but thats a subaru for you.

The only vehicle I ever saw that had an engine problem after being sea-foamed was an 86 300ZX that my little brother had... and the engine problem came up several months after he had sea foamed it. Actually, it came up in response to test driving the car after doing a rear brake job; he pulled back in from the test drive and the engine started knocking, within 45 seconds it threw a rod.. Nobody in my family blames seafoam in the least, or hesitates to use it on their vehicles.

Anyone have any contrary anecdotes?

• 2 weeks later...
What about use in Turbo cars? Does anyone have any experience in them? Think there is anyway seafoam could hurt the exhaust side of the turbo? or hurt the bearings??

From what I can tell, seafoam is a Strong solvent/lubricant that is also combustible for use with internal engine parts. If anything it should make your turbo spin better.

Ben

P.s. I just foamed my 260 the other day and received the best fuel consumption I have ever seen for the past week. Stuff works great!

I have seafoamed a 89 Celica, a 98 Civic, a 73 240z and a 19 300ZX. (all besides the civic are or at some point where mine). A buddy of mine did it to his 91 celica, and was an idiot about it. He poured the whole thing into the TB at WOT, and bent a piston rod.

What about use in Turbo cars? Does anyone have any experience in them? Think there is anyway seafoam could hurt the exhaust side of the turbo? or hurt the bearings??

I used seafoam on my 1.8t Audi last week. So far no problems. Audi guys use it due to the oil sludge issue with this engine. I had the low oil pressure light keep coming on so I used some in the crankcase before I changed the oil and some through the intake. Afterwards, the oil pressure light stopped coming on.

As long as you don't do any WOT runs I don't think it would do any damage to the turbo unless I'm overlooking something.

i love the stuff. ive used it in an 88 rx7 threw the vac line and it ran better than before (had some issues when i got it =P) ive also ran it threw the gas of a 96 GMC Sierra, a 89 Camry, and i just put it in my 72 Z. so far no problems and better gas millage for the sierra and camry. sea foam rocks!