HybridZ

Thinking about buying a scooter...

EMWHYR0HEN

Ok I know this is HybridZ and we're all about going fast but, I need a cheap way to get around and i'm considering a scooter (don't judge me, lol) I was wondering if anyone here had any recomendations maybe something a little faster for the same price.

I've been considering the Yamaha Zuma.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/151/0/specs.aspx

It's just a little over 2 grand brand new and gets 123MPG. It's got a 50cc engine w/ an auto tranny.

I would prefer a bigger engine and a manual gearbox which is why i'm also consering a dirtbike with street tires.

Anyone?

I got a cool old honda scooter. Still working on getting paper work for it and it restored. Just remember most of the 50cc and under scooters will maybe get 35-40mph, if that is within your means of commuting I say go for it. If I lived in the same city as my work, I would be scooter commuting for sure.

Also, if you stick with something under 50cc, you may not need to get a motorcycle endorcement.

Something used with a little milage on it is always going to be cheaper than buying new, and if you are trying to save money, the initial investment is a good place to start.

Here is a pic of the honda, its a 64 ish C110, or cub sport, or cub 50, whichever you feel like calling it :D It makes 5hp @ 9000 rpm according to the manual. Its gas tank was off in this picture.

P1010339.JPG?imgmax=720

I got a cool old honda scooter. Still working on getting paper work for it and it restored. Just remember most of the 50cc and under scooters will maybe get 35-40mph, if that is within your means of commuting I say go for it. If I lived in the same city as my work, I would be scooter commuting for sure.

Also, if you stick with something under 50cc, you may not need to get a motorcycle endorcement.

Something used with a little milage on it is always going to be cheaper than buying new, and if you are trying to save money, the initial investment is a good place to start.

Here is a pic of the honda, its a 64 ish C110, or cub sport, or cub 50, whichever you feel like calling it :D It makes 5hp @ 9000 rpm according to the manual. Its gas tank was off in this picture.

P1010339.JPG?imgmax=720

Thanks for the tips.

There's no way in hell i'd ride that thing, lol .

What about a KLR 650 or 400? They're dual sport bikes so they have lights, blinkers, speedo, etc. so they might be ok for street use in CA?

Edit: I know they're a little bigger engine than you said, but my buddy had a 650 and still got 50+ MPG with average driving around town.

My experience with scooters is pretty limited. Had a couple Yomamahas when I was a kid and they topped out at about 35mph downhill with a tailwind. My buddy had a YSR and it would do 50 pretty easily if I recall correctly. I think its the transmission efficiency that was the difference more than anything else. Plus you get those guys who swap in a YZ80 engine... That'd be fun.

My other suggestion is a small enduro street/dirt bike. I don't know if you can even get those anymore, seems like they only make the bigger ones street legal. My first motorcycle was a '76 XL70. It would do 55-60, at least that's fast enough to not feel like you're going to get run over leaving every stop light...

Get the zuma. Get the bore and stroke kit for it to like something like 82cc slap an aftermarket expansion chamber on it from vance and hines, along with an after market cdi box that will raise the rev limiter to like 13k and you have a moped that goes 85ish mph and still gets like 75-80mpg and it can pull wheelies

P1010339.JPG?imgmax=720

Hey that looks like a honda CY or YC something Y. I have the honda monkey bike with the same engine. they make supercharger, turbo and stroker kits for these engine.

And I know that some of the minibike engine are the same design.

You can buy a new 140 cc replacement engine from ebay for like $300.

I ran into another scooter that Honda makes called the "Ruckus", also 50cc's and priced around the same as the Zuma.

I'm liking the Honda after seeing some modded ones

stock : 100_0691e.jpg

Modded with a longer swing arm and 150cc engine:

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

I've been looking into this as well considering that 90% of the streets I commute on are 35MPH streets and my commute is less than 5 miles one way on average. While my bike is fun, I can't keep arriving at meetings sweaty.

The Honda Ruckus is my number one pick so far, I love the clean utility nature of it, nothing too fancy, just an engine, lights, wheels and a seat. The only thing that bothers me a bit is the lack of top speed, but I can see myself keeping it for sometime and modifying it accordingly.

another thing to note is that as CC's go down, insurance cost goes up. My agent couldn't explain this to me, saying only that "thats just the way it is." I found it odd that as the likely hood of dismemberment increased, your costs went down....maybe this is because the odds are that nobody would be alive to make a claim?

anywho, I say go for it, no shame in riding a scooter at all.

What about a Kawasaki Ninja 250R? The 2008 model gets 55-75mpg, looks just like their bigger bikes, and can actually handle decently. I spend $65 a week just going to school and that could go down to $20/week and be riding a real deal...

Its like a big scooter engine in a little bike frame...

2008250r4.jpg

They are about $4,200 new after all of your costs and tax etc...

Saving about $40 a week in gas will just about pay for the bike in a year or two. That is like $2000+ a year savings...lol

Then maybe sell my 20mpg 04 Frontier and pick up a beater 50mpg $750 Geo metro for the rainy days.

Insurance, no deal. I've got a perfect driving record and a good student discount so no problem there...