HybridZ

Carbon Fiber Needs?

RedFive

Hey guys,

My buddy and I are in the aerospace industry and we're looking to make some money on the side. We've got a lot of experience working with carbon fiber but it'd be kind of pointless to go throw a mold together of something somebody already makes and sells.

So my question is for you guys...is there something specific that a handful of you really want made out of carbon fiber? I mean, it would have to be more than just a couple to make it worth it for us, but we'd like to hear some suggestions from you guys.

Let me know, thanks!

Logan

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id also like one of these, but one that would work with a msa type 3 body kit. And maybe you could produce a carbon fiber whaletail, ive asked in the past for one of these produced... I would def buy a carbon fiber whaletail and a carbon fiber msa type 3 airdam "lip" if you made them.

Or one of these.

IMG_0853.JPG

Id provide a template if needed.

Wow, a lot of good ideas guys! Thanks! I'm gonna talk to my buddy and I guess we can figure out which project we want to start with.

And that's very generous of you 280Zone. Obviously we're not asking for money up front, but if a handful of you guys were all interested in the same thing it really makes it easier to pick which thing to make first.

That basic flat spoiler looks like an easy start, but I'll talk it over with my buddy. Keep the ideas coming!

Front air dam I'd love to see, but it would have to integrate well with the rest of the car. MSA sells the BRE style ones in CF, but no others. Headlight buckets I've only seen once, but a few guys have great looking CF roof skins. Those would have to come with a disclaimer and detailed instructions though. Hatches and hoods are readily available, as well as the new taillight panels.

All we need to complete the car are quarter panels, cowl and fenders.:mrgreen:

Wow, a lot of good ideas guys! Thanks! I'm gonna talk to my buddy and I guess we can figure out which project we want to start with.

And that's very generous of you 280Zone. Obviously we're not asking for money up front, but if a handful of you guys were all interested in the same thing it really makes it easier to pick which thing to make first.

That basic flat spoiler looks like an easy start, but I'll talk it over with my buddy. Keep the ideas coming!

Fellows it appears that the most desirable and least available is replacement dashes for the 240Z and 280Z. I have a 240Z and am converting it to a V8 and modern transmission. Even a refurbished stock dash only has room for 2 each 5" Speedo and Tach and 3 each 2&1/16th" or 2&3/8th" instruments. This comes UP ONE SMALLER INSTRUMENT SHORT! Usually one wants Oil Pressure, Cooling Water Temp, Volt or Amps and Fuel Quantity. That is (4) Four smaller instruments. A dash which could accomodate these and is in the style of the original dash but made of much stronger material would sell in sufficient quantities whereas some of the other items discussed are available from multiple sources. Additionally the a center counsole with a standard width opening would allow a stack of radios, other accessories or blanking plate allowing room for more custom stuff. Lastly the horizontal center counsole is another rare piece to find or pricey to purchase and not of carbon fibre makeup.

These are some of the ideas that I have to offer.

I give a +1 on that front splitter. If you can add some built-in winglets that would be totally badass.

You can find carbon fiber air dams on ebay, fiberglass dashes, cf hoods. I say lets get something that hasn't been made yet. Although the dash would be pretty badass.

THe dash and center console would be very cool.but my guess is difficult and expensive. You would probably require donar dashes for the brackets and such. On that note perhaps an easier way is to make a CF dash cap.......

A Rear interior panel set for a S30 would be super cool!!!!! I believe they would be easy to make...relative to a dash...??

Mine are in great shape ..aftermarket...but I would switch to CF. Im sure these would be a big seller as many of these panels are cracked and on their way to the recycle bin.

I would buy them in a heart beat...So when can I place my order?..seriously!!!!!!!

Hi Logan

Hope you dont mind my comments. Ive been doing stuff to make extra money all my life ...lost some and won some....and just want to share my thoughts.

To make this worth your while pick something that has the greatest mass consumer appeal. Stay away from customer one offs...expensive and limited opportunity.

Start with a simpler item and work up to more complicated designs.

A dash would be fanstastic but for the effort and final cost structure may have a very limited market.

Pick something that nobody else makes...bumpers and tail light panels (have them) are old news.

Make it very well to discourage others from copying.

Make it affordable but make sure you make money...otherwise you will be discouraged and give up.

Decide what to make and move ahead quickly. Part-time long term efforts dont cut it as you will lose credibilty and customer interest.

Make a short list from the feedback here, survey the list for interest and select a product to offer.

Make my interior panels...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

DONT TEASE US.....PER SERIOUS!!!!

Cheers

Jerry