HybridZ

Anyone looking for an rb20 / 25 intake manifold check this out

dizzle

So I was wanted to have a custom upper intake plenum made for my Rb20det. I had the fabricator who did my turbo manifold and piping make one and it turned out like this:

zmanifoldold.jpg

It kinda looked like ♥♥♥♥...

It was built off of the original flange from the stock upper and built outwards. The throttle body would not fit without pounding down the upper water pipe. Not ok...

So I decided I would give it a shot. Let me know what you guys think:

She is one of a kind!!

manifoldbase.jpg

I started with a 1/2" plate and shaped it to the correct position.

(the shape follows the fender well in my s30)

manifoldbase2.jpg

Next I made the throttle body plate and attached it at the appropriate angle to allow the factory throttle body fit (without pounding anything)

All of the alluminum work was done by hand, working from wooden templates and hand routering the alluminum (you need a really strong router!!)

manifold2.jpg

I then constructed a chamber from carbon fiber (its is real!!) I had to use a special resin do deal with the heat. Rated for up to 280 degrees without heat deformation.

And here is the finished product:

manifold1.jpg

The vacume ports come out the bottom (like the plazaman) to keep a clean look. what do you guys think???

I was thinking about offering these for sale but I don't know if anybody will be interested...

I would like to get a couple out there first...

If anyone is interested send me a message I would like to do one for a rb25 as well. If someone is near MN I would be willing to do it for basically just materials to get the templates made...

I will post up a in car picture tonight...

Peace!

Depending on the price, I might want one for an l28 as well.

Well lets find someone to donate a old l28et intake manifold to me in the name of science and I will get to work!!!

Its a lot more fun than working at my job anyway!!!!

Well lets find someone to donate a old l28et intake manifold to me in the name of science and I will get to work!!!

Its a lot more fun than working at my job anyway!!!!

i have a spare zxt intake mani you can have, that is if you wanna knock a lil off the price for one of your cf manis. lol. what is that price anyway?

I would love one for my RB20...I would have to change a few things but I sure do like the way it looks.

How do you ensure a secure fit between the CF and AL?? What do you do to ensure it stays sealed.

Nice work!.....how much do you estimate it will cost?

Well hey guys I really appricate the comments.

I did not really know what kind of response I would get to this...

First I would not feel comfortable selling any of these until I get a chance to pressure test the housing. All of the info I have been getting from my 3M rep says she should hold no problem (the "glue" from the AL to the CF). But I would feel like an ass if I sold one and it blew up!!

But as long as that holds with no issue;

I am not sure yet how much one would cost, they take some time to build and the carbon fiber is not real cheap. For an RB20 I am thinking around 550. But don't quote me on it just yet. Like I said I had not put that much thought into it untill today. An rb25 one will be a little bit different so I will need an intake manifold from somebody. A couple of people have shown interest in sending me a l28et manifold to look at. And who ever sends me either one of these would get a killer deal on the new manifold. Because all I need it for is to make the prototype templates. Anyone interested PM me...

And again I would really like to find somebody who lives close to me so I can offer some support. I would even be willing to pay for the dyno runs, before and after! My friend owns a shop in town with a Mustang AWD dyno.

Let me know...

D

I think it looks great.

perhaps to hold it onto the base better, you could roll over the edge of the CF to double it up where it fastens to the base flange and then drill/tap small holes and use small machine screws to keep the glue and CF together under boost, maybe one every inch and a half. I think it would give it a really nice look too :D

OR, to make it look more like a machined part/production part, instead of using washers for the aforementioned screws, use a long strip of 16 or 18 guage aluminum and form it to the shape of the plenum, and then screw in some tapered head screws into some counter sunk holes on the screw-surface (might need to be 14 guage for countersinking depending on screw size), and then that would give it strength to support the glue and make it looks great.

and you can engrave "made by: " in small on the edge or the back. =)

just at thought, I wouldn't mind the fabricators small name like that to give it a professional look.

and depending on how many ppl want them for each engine type, working in the price to get some plenum bases machined would probably be a good idea. might only drive up your cost (when you factor in the time it takes you to make the unit by hand) by like 20 bucks for each manifold. For the time it saves, I don't think that's a bad loss if you want to consider it as one.

swaaaaaaaaayte

I think it looks great.

perhaps to hold it onto the base better, you could roll over the edge of the CF to double it up where it fastens to the base flange and then drill/tap small holes and use small machine screws to keep the glue and CF together under boost, maybe one every inch and a half. I think it would give it a really nice look too :D

OR, to make it look more like a machined part/production part, instead of using washers for the aforementioned screws, use a long strip of 16 or 18 guage aluminum and form it to the shape of the plenum, and then screw in some tapered head screws into some counter sunk holes on the screw-surface (might need to be 14 guage for countersinking depending on screw size), and then that would give it strength to support the glue and make it looks great.

and you can engrave "made by: " in small on the edge or the back. =)

just at thought, I wouldn't mind the fabricators small name like that to give it a professional look.

and depending on how many ppl want them for each engine type, working in the price to get some plenum bases machined would probably be a good idea. might only drive up your cost (when you factor in the time it takes you to make the unit by hand) by like 20 bucks for each manifold. For the time it saves, I don't think that's a bad loss if you want to consider it as one.

swaaaaaaaaayte

All good ideas. I had already be looking into "Plan B's" if the seal fails. I want this thing to hold at least 30 psi, before i would consider selling any. I am right now changing the edge of the base plate to allow for a stronger bond between the CF and the AL. But all we can do is try it and see. If I got enough demand I would defininately have the plates machined next time. I don't know if any of you have ever tried to cut 1/2" alluminum with a router table, but it kind of turns into A WHIRLING CYCLONE OF DEATH!!!! I think I almost lost a finger like 8 times, (and almost lost my ability to pro-create, took a low blow with a 10 lb chunk of AL!!!)

Well hopefully I will have the testing done over the weekend...

Hey I am looking for someone in MN that has a running RB20 to test this thing on!!! I will pay for the dyno pulls before and after!!!! And sell them this one at cost of materials only if they want it.

Anybody that knows anybody let me know

NOOOOOO :cry2:.....I already ordered an intake manifold from JGY....Why do you hate me God? Looks awesome...How much anyways for a RB25? If the price is right maybe I'll sell my JGY and get yours....

Call JGY and cancel your order, they're pretty good about it if it hasn't shipped.

If in the end, our resident fabricator/distributor here on hybridz doesn't decide to produce and or sell them, you can always return to JGY.

Just say it's a money issue, and the bank is lookin for some answers.

whoa.

how did you make the plenum out of carbon fiber?!

It looks like it was vacuum bagged... did you make a mold out of foam or wood and pop off the carbon after it cured?!

I'm interested in the process you used for this plenum. There are so many diff processes... Ive always wondered which works the best.

did you end up using 2x2?