HybridZ

Aerocatch Hood Pin Install On My Beta Motorsports CFiber Hood..Pics

slownrusty

Hi Gang - I had an *interesting* day...I decided to finally get the hood fitted on my car. The hood is a nice piece custom made by John Coffey from Beta Motorsports, the hood is CF and weighs about 8 or 9lbs (stock hood is close to 40lbs) and I bought it quite some time ago from him.

The hood requires hood pins and I wanted to get some cool pins, that were not only cool but functional. All roads led to Aerocatch Pins so I bought a set for $100 (shipped) and installed them yesterday.

The Aerocatch hood pins are really sexxy, low profile and stealth, nicely made as well (I purchased the locking model). I was excited to install them.

Sadly the templates that come with them are awful and you have to make your own and my first attempt I totally screwed it up and installed them about 1.5" off where they should be (insert choice cuss words here). I kept thinking I had ruined my beautiful CF hood and I was so disappointed with myself....After walking away and some deep breathing, I went back and pulled out my fiberglass and actually did a very good repair on my blunder and re-installed the hood pins in the right place. Luckily I can work fiberglass quite well, so my screw-up is not noticeable and was able to get it right second time around...

Installing hood pins are not as easy as they look...LOL!

As an aside, I used the stock OEM locations for the pins close to the cowl, but required drilling them out to 3/8" and re-tapping for the anodized aluminum Aerocatch pins. Luckily the factory locations are beefy enough to be drilled out and tapped.

I also had enough time to install the hood vents and cowl and all mounting holes, so all I have to do now is paint the hood. Hopefully this week I will take it in to the Body Shop. So I am making progress on the car.

I like the look and the fit and recommend these Aerocatch Pins to anyone considering Hood Pins, just take your time.

Here are the pics...

Stock hood pins on the ZX:

323459435.jpg

Drilling and tapping for the Aerocatch Pins:

323459456.jpg

Aerocatch Pins installed and mocked-up:

323459455.jpg

Done (pls ignore hole on front right..soon to be repaired), hood all fitted and ready for paint:

323459446.jpg

323459451.jpg

Pretty slick:

323459443.jpg

The mechanism:

323459440.jpg

Regards - Yasin

Yasin, I think this is WAY better than my idea of using Solex locks. :lol:

I some ways, I'm glad I'm such a procrastinator...I can wait for you and frank280zx to come up with good ideas for these hoods. :wink:

Thanks for the tip! Looks Awesome Man!:2thumbs:

[Edit] So I take it that the "low profile" ones might have interference issues?

lockingkitx200.gif (top surface mount "Plus-Flush")

flush-locking.png (below surface "Flush")

http://www.aerocatch.net/

Hi Gang - Thanks for all the comments and feedback. I do recommend these Aerocatch pins to anyone, and granted they are more expensive than your typical $20 Mr.Gasket set, they are a millenium advanced in mechanism, fit, finish, functionality and aesthetics (I sound like a salesman..LOL!).

Hugh - The under mount flush ones are iffy on clearance, so I went with the top mounts instead.

Regards - Yasin

Anyone got a set installed on a 240/260/280 yet. It looks like I am going to have to space them out from the firewall farther than the Mr Gasket ones which will interfere with my battery. I should probably re-locate the battery to the rear anyway, but I kind of dont like the idea of using up any of my limited interior space.

• 1 month later...
If you don't mind me asking, what's the cost for one of those hoods. Might turn out to be a better option than trying to get the hail damage out of mine.

-polarity

Yasin's first post stated that it was about $100 shipped. For the quality and uniqueness factor, that's a decent price. I already have some sparco pins, so I have to think long and hard about replacing functional parts when the money can go elsewhere. Hmmmm.

Davy

Yasin's first post stated that it was about $100 shipped. For the quality and uniqueness factor, that's a decent price. I already have some sparco pins, so I have to think long and hard about replacing functional parts when the money can go elsewhere. Hmmmm.

Davy

i think he was asking about the price of the cf hood, not just the pins.

Guest 280ZForce

very nice Yasin, I really like the look of these hood pics too. Good to see some progress on the ol' Z. I'll eventually go this route with hood pins now as well 1 day whenever I get around to installing my fiberglass hood or maybe 1 of John's cf hoods someday.

*cheers* - J

very nice Yasin, I really like the look of these hood pics too. Good to see some progress on the ol' Z. I'll eventually go this route with hood pins now as well 1 day whenever I get around to installing my fiberglass hood or maybe 1 of John's cf hoods someday.

*cheers* - J

Thanks brother...appreciate it..car is making some steady progress...finally! I was a girl that soaked ALL my time, when that did not work out got back to work on the car, you of all people know how that works out!

Yasin