HybridZ

Aluminum Dash

Wheeler

Heres a couple of pictures of my dash that I made. I'm too cheap to buy a new one and did not really want to use a dash cover. This one is very light. I'm not going to use a center console so no need to come all the way down to meet it. The parts were laser cut.

dash 1_thumb.JPG

dash 2_thumb.JPG

Agreed but nobody seems to....?

A different blank that would allow 2 more bends at each end. I say 2 in order to prevent a sharp corner. The center flat would be pie shaped. Im not being very clear am I .....:ugg:... filler panels dont have a clean finished appearance.

That could easily be taken care of with a filler panel or two. ;)

Agreed but nobody seems to....?

A different blank that would allow 2 more bends at each end. I say 2 in order to prevent a sharp corner. The center flat would be pie shaped. Im not being very clear am I .....:ugg:... filler panels dont have a clean finished appearance.

I guess it would depend on how someone was to make the filler panels. I've seen filler panels in similar applications look very good, to the point where they weren't noticed. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

cool dash. this is what mine is looking like right now. i started a thread dashboard proj but no real responses.

check mine out

aluminumdash.jpg

how are you planning on supporting the aluminum?

i'm using a framed out steel cage beneath the aluminum

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Skunk

i have one in mine also. as you can see my z hasn't seen the light of day in many years. i'm thinking of spraying my dash satin black to match the interior. mines in the process of a complete interior/exterior makeover at the moment.

100_2712.jpg

100_2714.jpg

My weight saving are not all that much as I still have a steel frame underneth the dash panel (3/4x3/4x0.6ish), but I'd still say its a savings of 10-15 comparing dash to dash and another 5 lbs becuase of the eventual reduction in wires and uneeded circuits. So 15-20lbs total is my estimate for the TOTAL reduction in weight. If I think of it I will try to measure and come up with a actual number.... that would be interesting.

Nice. I'm in the process of making mine. I went with an 8" tall faceplate that is canted back about 18" so the gauges point up towards my head, etc. I removed the steel framework which is quite heavy (in comparison). I used aluminum sheet with the flat deck on top, the 8" face (as I said) and 2" curl underneath for rigidity. This makes it like a backwards "squared" C-shape from the side. I also built it with 1" wide strips on the side to bend in for cap plates to rivet to on the end. I also made a cutout about 2" wide for the steering column. It's light and rigid enough to hold it on one end with one hand and swing it about, etc even before the endcaps are on. Pics to come I guess.

Super Aluminum dash thread! :-)