HybridZ

Z Concepts

Icehound

I do concepts and design for Video games for a living. Since I just bought a 72 z and plan on modifying it soon I thought I would put my skills to good use and design some kits. I will continue coloring it and paint up a back view as well, then try some original and different ones. The objective I gave myself was to modify existing kits into a wide body and try and make it look tasteful given the dimensions of the 240z - it's an interesting car to work with.

I think this try is looking a little beefy, what do you think?

Thanks

Dave

240z01Front_thumb.jpg

Do i like it? Mostly, I think there are too many hood vents...

Possibility of it being produced? Slim, Enough tedious fiberglass work to make probably the most expert body man puke...

Aaaand There is another topic of z concepts...

I think you have some good ideas. Although for my taste, there are too many hood vents, and the front air dam is a bit "ricey". Please continue your ideas and designs, this should be very interesting.

Good luck!

Please continue with your concepts. It seems you're on to something. Yes, there are too many hood vents and the air dam seems busy, clean it up some. Nice elements so far though, I like the wheels wells and the rear quarter panel treatment.

i dig it. it should be functional, not just for looks though. most of the ricer stuff is not in any way funtional. any hood vents and any mods to the air dam should be there for a reason. not just because it goes with the tuner crowd.

just my .02

jimbo

Have a read through the Aero section to get an idea of how a properly kitted Z should look. I'd agree on what others have said, make it functional instead of visual.

...and those wheels seem huge.

Ha, I thought so myself. I was going for the 17" look but it's hard to size them just so. The future ones will use a looser hand so you might see the wheels get much larger for effect. I'll tone down the hood vents and paint it up before I do anything else. The Z is an interesting car, you can't do much with the roof shape unless you want to spend tones of money chopping it so you have to compensate in other areas, I'll keep trying different stuff - maybe some thumbnails will be in order.

Thanks for all the input, it's like having a group of directors who live and breathe what they are involved in, very cool. I can't promise that I will design a properly knitted z for I'm trying to break the mold - it will be a z though...

Here's a cop car I did for 'need for speed' just to set the quality bar...

Dave

Cop_Exotic_Comp_07_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the input, it's like having a group of directors who live and breathe what they are involved in, very cool. I can't promise that I will design a properly knitted z for I'm trying to break the mold - it will be a z though...

Here's a cop car I did for 'need for speed' just to set the quality bar...

Dave

Nice "cop car" right there! I like the Z concept a lot and I echo some of the same sentiments. I do like the overall body style---looks like a racing car of sorts. Pretty darn cool.

Davy

personally I've never been fond of scoops that just let air hit the front of the back wheels. I don't think you'd be able to run vents like you have in your hood there if you haven't done some sort of engine swap, either. There's a "power bulge" in the S30 hood that doesn't leave too much room for cuteness between the hood and the valve cover (I found out more than i cared to about hood clearance as i cut it up to mount my intercooler...). I think something that gets lost on most body kit designers (speaking in general terms here) is that all the scoops, ducts, and vents on high-end sports cars are all functional, and are all ducted to one critical component or other that really needs to receive focused jets of incoming fresh air (or let out focused jets of trapped hot air). What you see on a lot of the tuner car body kits are just scoops for no reason (my personal favorite being the "pseudo scoop" just in front of the rear tire that is not even open at all), and that is what makes them seem cheesy to people that take aero mods seriously. Rather than looking aggressive, all that scooptastic action comes off looking like compensation really.

I'd suggest finding a way to move that vent you have in front of the front wheel to the back of the front wheel, and closing down the fascia a little bit. I like the forward most set of hood ducts, and i've always been fond of whaletails.

240z01Front.jpg

It's 2am, you get what you pay for :wink: I was trying to figure out if you were going for the completely wider fender or the super wide flare, so I had to improvise there. I think if you're going to go modern on it, you have to take the bumpers off and integrate them into the fascia, and on a stretched fender, that always leaves the problem of how to integrate it into the flare...

A few of us had a thread going for awhile where we were coming up with off the wall body kits, you might get a kick out of it: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=111961&highlight=s30+drawings