HybridZ

Gas Prices. Honest Advice Please

Gollum

Ok, so gas prices are higher than ever, and right now I'm spending about $16 a day I think on gas. (around $4,500 a year if I'm getting the MPG I think I am, which is hard with no speedo working)

I might not be at my job for long, as I plan on going to a trade school this next year which will mean I can't work until around 1pm on the weekdays. I currently commute 27 miles each way, and end up driving about 60 miles round trip a day. If I go to this school my commute might dissapear if I get a place near the school and a job up there, but I'd still be driving down to the bay area at least on the weekends, a 35 mile trip each way.

With my calculations, getting a 45+mpg car under $1500 will pay for itself under a year, if not a bit less. If I could find a CRX HF for under $1000 it'd pay for itself under 6 months and would easily pay for it's difference on insurance.

But... I've also been looking at the geo metro, and neither the CRX nor metro really excite me. I think I could live with a Civic VX, but they're fetching AT LEAST $3,500 lately, and that'd take YEARS to pay itself off.

No matter what I'm keeping the Z. So here's what I was thinking, let me know if it sounds like it's doable.

Get my free 280ZX registered and insured. It'll get at least 25mpg I think. Sure beats the sub 20 I've been getting (i'm not an agressive driver on my commute, and I keep under 70mph now, my car just isn't running well). While I'm driving that I can pull the 83' L28ET out of my project car, get a NA bottom with flat tops, make a higher compression turbo motor, and add megasquirt. Once it's running on a stand I can drop it into the 280Z and start commuting in that once it's tuned.

I figure if I get about 35+mpg when driving mostly highway the megasquirt will pay for itself in about 8-10 months (budgeting abuot $1k for the megasquirt). The main downside is that I'd still only be getting 35mpg, but at least I'd only have a single car on my insurance once it's done. And also once it's done... I have megasquirt, and what's not to love about that?

The upside to getting a fugly commuter is that I could get something with heat and AC and make the Z a bit more weekend warriorish and strip out nearly everything and do whatever I want to as budget permits.

So what do you guys think?

1) Get a commuter car and let the Z remain a toy

2) Try to make the Z do everything

Keep in mind I'm comming from almost strictly a budget mindset. I don't for see making 40k+ anytime soon. Right now I'm making about 25k, I have super cheap rent and still struggle.

Get the gas sipper, like the CRX, Metro etc... I am picking up 95 Miata today for the purpose of gas savings. It suposed to get like 30MPGs which is about 13 MPGS better than I am doing right now. I got lucky one of my Z buddies is selling and he offered it to me for $1800. It has a hardtop, 17"wheels, it is the B model which means it has power windows etc... It needs paint but I don't care as long as it saves me gas, the same approach I am reading in your post. All my other cars are horrible on gas: 03 G35 Sport Coupe MT6, 05 Sentra SE/R auto, 73/71 Zs and my daily drive 94 Montero, this Miata will pay for its self in a years time.

It's kinda funny to see all these cars coming out of the wood work and back onto the roads. I've seen a least a 25% increase in small, older compacts on the roads.

The metro get crazy gas mileage, the price for these things have gone up quite a bit, go figure.

If you can find a metro slam the mega squirt in it and try to hit mpg.

On a good day those cars have been known to get 50.

I do find it strange how the old civic (early to late 70) could get such excellent mileage compared to the most sophisticated modern cars. Must be a weight/safety thing.

I refuse to participate in that whole thing! I just go out and make more money! :) I'd never drive a POS due to the fact that my fuel bill has gone up $100-200 a month.

Speaking of the mileage mobiles, it still has to do with driving style, so there's no hope for some of you. Here's proof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq9ilgw1plc

I refuse to participate in that whole thing! I just go out and make more money! :) I'd never drive a POS due to the fact that my fuel bill has gone up $100-200 a month.

Speaking of the mileage mobiles, it still has to do with driving style, so there's no hope for some of you. Here's proof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq9ilgw1plc

Haha i agree, thats why stick shifts got neutral, try coasting alittle more haha...

jesus christ (excuse me) gas prices i live in the uk we pay 12$ a gallon and my zed has a 5.4 litre v8 does 12 to the gallon :mad: im heavy footed i drive with diving boots on i only wish we were paying 4$ a gallon the uk is taxed to death before long we will be taxed to breath:cry2: i earn around 60 k$ equivelant here and that does not afford you a luxury lifestyle last year i went to disney land and could not belive how cheap the prices in the USA were i loved it remember the grass unfortunately is not always greener look after what you have regards 240zchevyv8 keep up the good work and remember if at first it doesnt work have a drink and think about it:icon4:

I knew someone from the UK would speak up. I really feel for you guys over there. I couldn't believe the price of everything when I was in England in 02'.

I'm thinking right now that unless I see an insane deal on a gas sipper for well under $1k I'm just gonna plan on the megasquirt.

I've got a spare L28ET in a car going nowhere. I can find a flat top piston motor cheaply enough around here, I can build a NA compression turbo motor. Not sure if the hydrolic valves on the P90A will help any, but it should be fine since I don't plan to rev it to 7k anyways (or even much past 6k).

35mpg might be a tad optimistic, but when I see guys like garret getting 30mpg I know there's probably hope for someone like me driving mostly highway and purposely tuning with mileage in mind.

Maybe I'll also offload one of those 3.36 R200 diffs off of rudypoochris's hands.

I can also start driving my spare 280ZX once I get it running right, and get it as lean as possible, and just be careful with the gas under load. Shouldn't be too hard to get at least 28mpg out of it, which will easily save me $30 a week out of the shoot.

jesus christ (excuse me) gas prices i live in the uk we pay 12$ a gallon and my zed has a 5.4 litre v8 does 12 to the gallon :mad: im heavy footed i drive with diving boots on i only wish we were paying 4$ a gallon the uk is taxed to death before long we will be taxed to breath:cry2: i earn around 60 k$ equivelant here and that does not afford you a luxury lifestyle last year i went to disney land and could not belive how cheap the prices in the USA were i loved it remember the grass unfortunately is not always greener look after what you have regards 240zchevyv8 keep up the good work and remember if at first it doesnt work have a drink and think about it:icon4:

How about some punctuation and capitalization?

Ok, so gas prices are higher than ever, and right now I'm spending about $16 a day I think on gas. (around $4,500 a year if I'm getting the MPG I think I am, which is hard with no speedo working)

I might not be at my job for long, as I plan on going to a trade school this next year which will mean I can't work until around 1pm on the weekdays. I currently commute 27 miles each way, and end up driving about 60 miles round trip a day. If I go to this school my commute might dissapear if I get a place near the school and a job up there, but I'd still be driving down to the bay area at least on the weekends, a 35 mile trip each way.

With my calculations, getting a 45+mpg car under $1500 will pay for itself under a year, if not a bit less. If I could find a CRX HF for under $1000 it'd pay for itself under 6 months and would easily pay for it's difference on insurance.

But... I've also been looking at the geo metro, and neither the CRX nor metro really excite me. I think I could live with a Civic VX, but they're fetching AT LEAST $3,500 lately, and that'd take YEARS to pay itself off.

No matter what I'm keeping the Z. So here's what I was thinking, let me know if it sounds like it's doable.

Get my free 280ZX registered and insured. It'll get at least 25mpg I think. Sure beats the sub 20 I've been getting (i'm not an agressive driver on my commute, and I keep under 70mph now, my car just isn't running well). While I'm driving that I can pull the 83' L28ET out of my project car, get a NA bottom with flat tops, make a higher compression turbo motor, and add megasquirt. Once it's running on a stand I can drop it into the 280Z and start commuting in that once it's tuned.

I figure if I get about 35+mpg when driving mostly highway the megasquirt will pay for itself in about 8-10 months (budgeting abuot $1k for the megasquirt). The main downside is that I'd still only be getting 35mpg, but at least I'd only have a single car on my insurance once it's done. And also once it's done... I have megasquirt, and what's not to love about that?

The upside to getting a fugly commuter is that I could get something with heat and AC and make the Z a bit more weekend warriorish and strip out nearly everything and do whatever I want to as budget permits.

So what do you guys think?

1) Get a commuter car and let the Z remain a toy

2) Try to make the Z do everything

Keep in mind I'm comming from almost strictly a budget mindset. I don't for see making 40k+ anytime soon. Right now I'm making about 25k, I have super cheap rent and still struggle.

Too bad you live in CA. My metro is for sale on ebay right now. Its in the cars for sale here on hybridz if you're interested in taking a look. Good luck on your search for better economy.

Yup. get the econo box, strip it down all you can. Gas is only going up. Getting slightly better gas mileage now only "kinda sorta" evens you out to where you were last year. Gas is still going up, so get something cheap that gets the very best mileage. Then try and improve that as much as possible. I am paying 1.36/litre, and I've done lots of little things to improve my gas mileage, but it is not going to reduce my gas bill any further when gas goes over $2/litre for me. And it will go higher! My Z is now a weekend warrior, and I no longer worry about the cost of gas for that car, so I can bring on the horsepower!

Goodluck!

I've seen this subject come up several times on different boards now, go figure!!

My response is to drive less if at all possible, make sure your car is in the best possible tune, all the "gas saving" things are done to it, learn to drive with a gas saving style and then get over it.

Buying a POS econobox simply to save gas is a false economy and always will be. If you find one for $1000.00 or less in todays market there's a reason, it'll cost you lot more in the long run to keep it running. Adding another car to your "herd" incurs other costs to the initial price including insurance, registration and maintenance.

Gollum,

Sounds to me like you need to concentrate on getting your DD running right before you work on anything else. Once you have that taken care of then look at Megasquirt or other alternatives. In the mean time turn the boost down and drive it on vacuum as much as possible.

There's my $.02 worth.

Wheelman

BTW: johnc's idea of a 4-cylinder truck is the only one in this thread so far that makes sense to me.

Well my DD "runs" just fine ;)

It just likes to eat gas. The PO that did the turbo swap used the 280Z intake, and removed nearly everything from it. There's no air regulator, cold start valve, thremotime switch and water temp switch.

It's also eating gas because it's not getting into close loop, I believe. So I'm probably running around 12-13:1 on the freeway. I have been driving very economy minded, and rarely, if ever, get into boost. Lowering the boost levels would have zero effect on my economy.

I also thing the car could use new wheel bearings all around. None of them feel or sound terrible, but that doesn't mean they're not causing excess resistence.

What I think I'll do for the time being = Drive the spare 280ZX NA I have. If I can sell it for a good amount of money I'll try to find a small japanese truck. Realistically I think even if gas went up to $7 a gallon I should be ok with just getting at least 30mpg.

Well how far is your commute Mr.Diesel? If you were driving as much as me you'd be spending around $200 a week on gas. That'd be more than half of my weekly take home.

I'll be going to a school this fall, so my commute to work will probably dissapear. I'll probably have to find a part time job close to the school and move out that direction. That will cut my fuel costs a ton, and as long as I'm making enough I should be able to freely drive around california on the weekends.

Luckly it looks like things might work out on the job front with something else I do.