HybridZ

Pics of my supercharged L-28

dum-bass

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is for when I am not running the supercharger. The supercharger has an electric cluch like and air condition compressor. When I turn off the supercharger air is drawn in through the air filter next to the supercharger. There will be a check valve down stream of the air cleaner.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dum-bass whatever happened to your project. :[ I've been oogling over a supercharger for a while but want to see more!

I've just been waiting for better weather. It's always raining or snowing or freezing around here. I'll probably finish up the details by June and have it all dyno'd in.

That is for when I am not running the supercharger. The supercharger has an electric cluch like and air condition compressor. When I turn off the supercharger air is drawn in through the air filter next to the supercharger. There will be a check valve down stream of the air cleaner.

I'm working on something simular to that

it's taking me ages as im really skimp on funds so taking slow baby steps :evil:

after getting the plan and everything else together i had to figure out how to operate the clutch and bipass valve simultataneously.

it sounds so simple but stepper motors are always a pain. I ended up having to get a friend who's a mechatronic engineer help me though with the digital logic demands of responding to pulse changes associated with engaging and disengaging the clutch mechanism. I wish i could get MS to drive it but im not sure how to mod it to recieve driver imput abd operate the two mechanisms(if it's possible).

I'm actually very interested in the check-valve idea with dual intakes... what type of valve were you planning to use that was both of a high enough diameter (ideally 3") and able to seal air appropriately under boost without choking it up at low vacuum when not under boost??

I found one at a plumbing supply store that will work. I didn't buy it but need to get back and get it soon. It as a real low pressure loss across it. If I get a chance I will get the make and model #.

sounds promising, i also considered a reed valve.

i wouldn't mind investigating this further as my intended bipass valve is of a toyota origin from a intermitant SC setup they use but the diameter is restrictive... my intent is high-flow-low-boost so any air leakage is a problem as is any restriction to flow. how big is that valve?

It's interesting to see different people coming up with significantly different approaches to the same problem... i find the check-valve idea appealing as it drastically reduces induction tube length esp. when using an intercooler.

I also wondered if i made an induction box with a series of reed valves at the base what the potential restriction to non-boost flow might this represent?

Also, from your diagram i take it you were planning to run boost prior to the TB which would be located in the standard position at the plenum mouth?

What mechanism were you planning to run for over-boost protection at idle?

Have you considered the impact of variable load from the SC on idle drain? is this significant enough to warrant a IAC program for clutch engaged periods?

Yay for hybridz

• 1 year later...

not to dig up an old thread.

Thing 1. but hey looking at your setup did you NEED to delete the distributor for that location? Because the later 280z cars had a 6 point tooth magnetic pulse reluctor wheel that the signal can be sent to a gm ecu so no need for mega squirt or a crank trigger just get it from the dissy- so it would be nice to keep that dissy.

Thing 2. did you need to have a header because you wanted one or because there was no room for the stock header from the 280z motor for the blower to fit for your placement of it?

Thing3 3. Do you have more pics of that ac bracket mod you did. And in fact do you have any measured out diagrams.

The last "thing" AWESOME build I would actually like to see a twin charged (both turbo and supercharged) l28 one of these days with a fully forged rotating assembly and a fully ported and polished head. The m90 blower off of the old super coupes is the best idea also because it is cheap upgradable and it goes to a throttle body instead of bolting down to the intake :P

vega-

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Going to start doin the 1/8 mile drags in monroe this spring, my Chevy muscle car buddy's won't leave me alone about racing my dum-bass. I have had muscle cars in the past and I know my lowly old Ratsun will do just fine! Especially in the 1/8 mile because my car is a rocket ship already! I will post video............

• 4 weeks later...

I found one at a plumbing supply store that will work. I didn't buy it but need to get back and get it soon. It as a real low pressure loss across it. If I get a chance I will get the make and model #.

Hi, do you have any details on the check valve used.