HybridZ

Question on new formula one addition.. wheel covers

proxlamus©

Im watching the F1 race of Germany on Fox right now and I noticed that the new 2008 F1 cars have a new addition to the front wheels.

The wheel covers...

does anyone know alot about these? I guess the new ones on the front wheels are stationary and do not move and rotate with the wheel. The opening in the rear of the cover allows brake dust and gases to escape.

76816700wa6.jpg

f1-2007-tes-xp-4651.jpg

It looks like this even has a a brake duct/scoop for better brake ducting!!

kjv6au6s1.jpg

f1-2008-spa-xp-0118.jpg

I took a closer look at the first 3 pictures. the first 2 are definitely these new "brake ducts" that they are being classified as. the 3rd, looks more like some sort of auxillary cooling fan they stuck on it. if you look close, the carbon fiber goes INTO the rim. if the rin were to turn, it would break the carbonfiber.

The wheel covers seem to be some sort of loophole in the rules. they do have an aero advantage, BUT they are classified as "brake ducts" haha.

the reason why they would be illegal. they are moveable aerodynamic devices. they can still move, since they're "floaters" and they do provide an aerodynamic advantage, and thus, are moveable aerodynamic devices, which are illegal XP

Loop holes are fun.

darn it! I was out at the track this weekend working my first corner ever (i'll post pics/videos later), and missed one of my favorite races of the series!! hopefully they will have a re-run.

Anyway i noticed those covers before on earier grand prix's but it was only on some cars...now they all have them?

The last picture looks like a design thats been around for a while. Helps heat escape out from inside the wheel if I remember right. The first picture looks almost like something designed to keep the tire in contact with the ground at higher speed for greater traction? That would be my guess but most of the designs look like they are for brake cooling.

Actually, they are purely for aerodynamic purposes. Ferrari actually REMOVED the covers for a canada race because they CAUSE brake overheating issues. they're "brake ducts" meaning, they fit within the rules for brake ducts, but they do nothing to aid in cooling the brakes. they only modify the airflow going around the wheels.