HybridZ

GM 6.2L Diesel

Guest abram

Guest abram

I've searched and searched and I have found no one that has this swap. Is it feasible? I've heard the 6.2L diesel has the same bolt patterns and motor mount locations as an SBC :shock:. It sounds pretty doable and will make a mean torque z! what do u all think.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much power can you get out of it? Think it would have too much torque to be usable, guy at work does mad burnouts with his chipped Cummins in his Dodge 2500.

On that note, how about a Cummins I4?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cummins_B_Series_engine#3.9L.2F4B

A bit heavy at 745 lbs wet, but 130 hp and 355 lb/ft torque. :burnout:

After swapping one of those in, your next challenge would be finding out how much tire you could get in the back. And how quickly you could demolish said rubber :P

Guest abram

hey pete, the 6.2 puts out 143hp @ 3600 and 257 @ 2000

there is also the 6.5 which is the same as the 6.2 mounting wise (just like the sbc)

and BIG power increases...

215hp @ 3200

and

440 @ :p1800 RPM:p

"Too much torque to be usable"

Sorry Pete85, though I might agree with what you're trying to convey, I don't agree with the general statement. Too much torque is never a BAD thing. It's POWER BAND that matters. Diesel engines generally have a very narrow POWER BAND due to the fact that they usually have such a low redline they need more gears.

Torque is almost meanless unless you put it into a HP calculation with RPM. If you have two engines, one with 200 torque, one with 400, the one with 400 can simply use less gearing. Remember that in 1st gear most cars are increasing torque by cutting RPM to about a power of 12+. A 81-83 280ZX in 1st gear is putting nearly 1500 pounds of torque to the wheels.

====calculation proof=====

145 torque X .85 for drivetrain loss = 123.35

123.35 X 3.062 for first gear = 377.3915

377.3915 X 3.9 for rear diff ratio = 1471.82685

And you can imagine that with only 200+ torque from a turbo engine that those numbers sky rocket.

What I'm getting at is that torque doesn't really matter unless you're trying to move a lot of weigh. What makes diesel's great for towing is the fact they make so much torque to work with that if you just keep adding gears for various speeds they can carry a load up nearly any hill. Gasoline engines don't generate torque at those low RPM and need to keep their speed up to be in their operating RPM. Most engines now days are turning around 2k rpm at 65mph, that's far too high for towing. When you're towing you want there to be massive power at the lower RPM so you can keep chugging along up the hills.

You'll notive that 18 wheelers don't get near redline when going up a hill. There's no power up there for them. Diesel engines just don't have the RPM band when they're designed for towing. Now... diesels are all the rage in europe, and I wish we had more of them. But if I were going to put a diesel in a Z I'd want it to be one that's designed with a 4k+ rpm power band in mind.

That's not to say I don't think abram should be interested in this swap. I think he's entitled to do what ever he wants. But I'd recommend to him that if he does do this swap, to find a transmission with lots of gears. Either that or find a very narrow geared transmission and use a tall rear end.

That IS a heavy motor though. That's weight realm of the jag V12.

But if I were going to put a diesel in a Z I'd want it to be one that's designed with a 4k+ rpm power band in mind.

The OM606 in my 1998 Mercedes-Benz E300 Turbodiesel has an amazingly flat torque curve from about 1800rpm to about 4500rpm, and makes 0-60mph in 8 seconds in a 4000-pound sedan. The inline-six is a very simple engine design, and would make an interesting swap. This also happens to be an all-aluminum engine, and the first DOHC turbodiesel in a production car. Above 1000rpm or so you can barely tell it's a diesel -- only a little clatter at idle. It's also very biofuel friendly. I have no idea what transmission options are out there other than the 5-speed auto box that came in the car. There might be a Euro manual available, but not in the States.

Cheers, John

The OM606 in my 1998 Mercedes-Benz E300 Turbodiesel has an amazingly flat torque curve from about 1800rpm to about 4500rpm, and makes 0-60mph in 8 seconds in a 4000-pound sedan. The inline-six is a very simple engine design, and would make an interesting swap. This also happens to be an all-aluminum engine, and the first DOHC turbodiesel in a production car. Above 1000rpm or so you can barely tell it's a diesel -- only a little clatter at idle. It's also very biofuel friendly. I have no idea what transmission options are out there other than the 5-speed auto box that came in the car. There might be a Euro manual available, but not in the States.

Cheers, John

Any idea what that aluminum blocked motor weighs out to?

Anyone know about bellhousing compatibility? Anything manual in the MB range?

Neither Ford or GM have ever built a good diesel engine. These things are junkyard fodder in only a few years. Diesels are prevalent everywhere but the US. Why is it that the big 3 cannot produce a decent equivalent? I'm not talking about the politics and worker's pay checks. I'm talking about sound design and engineering of a viable product. I have a Land Rover 300TDi and a Iveco 2.5 TDi. Both are truck engines. The Iveco was used in a flat bed heavy haul truck and has 158,000 miles on it. It is barely broken in! The 6.2 would be in the shop for a major rebuild by that time.

Neither Ford or GM have ever built a good diesel engine. These things are junkyard fodder in only a few years. Diesels are prevalent everywhere but the US. Why is it that the big 3 cannot produce a decent equivalent? I'm not talking about the politics and worker's pay checks. I'm talking about sound design and engineering of a viable product. I have a Land Rover 300TDi and a Iveco 2.5 TDi. Both are truck engines. The Iveco was used in a flat bed heavy haul truck and has 158,000 miles on it. It is barely broken in! The 6.2 would be in the shop for a major rebuild by that time.

They must not export the Duramax or the Powerstroke diesels to your neck of the woods. They have it figured out for the big trucks, and these are big engines. I think the reason they don't do a really good small engine is because of the US emissions laws. We're particular about the sulfur in the diesel fuel, from what I understand. I guess I had assumed that they would have a better diesel for the overseas markets. I'm a bit surprised to hear they don't. Supposedly for the 2010 model year GM is going to release a smaller turbodiesel for the 1500 series trucks, which if it followed the gas engines would be somewhere in the 5-6 liter range. Might have to go buy a new truck when that comes out.

I have been looking at the future G.M. diesel engines. They are going to put a v6 turbo diesel in the commodore next year. 2.9lt Around 250 hp and over 400 l/ft of torque. Sould be very nice. Almost as good as the german ones. Its going to be made by motor morordi (Spelling?) in Italy so not really a G.M. design. Looks like they will use this in the european spec cadillacs as well. New 4.5 lt twin turbo being put through its pases for the U.S light truck market as we speak. Should be a big improvement for you guys.

Douglas

I don't know anything about the 6.5. I would be very hesitant to use any GM diesel other than the Duramax though. GM and Ford really stepped up with those engines to try to compete with the Cummins, and that 6.2 was a real piece of dog ♥♥♥♥.

FTFY:tongue:

Just a bit of information to ponder. Although the duramax engine is now being built by GM is was originally designed and built by the worlds leading diesel motor builder Isuzu in conjunction with Bosch. Now the Ford motors are built by International Harvester Company (IHC) and well Cummings builds the motors for Chrysler. So in truth none of the US automotive companies really design and build there own diesel motors, thank god for that!!

Now I would still like to see a VW 1.9L TDI motor in a Z or a 510! If you look on the Suzuki Samurai web sites they are mating them to 5-speed with good luck. Also I remember reading that VW made a touring race car in Germany out of a Golf/Jetta that was putting down 385 rwhp and getting 35 mpg still using the 1.9L TDI motor. Not to mention look at Audi and there TDI race cars, remember that Audi is owned by VW!

So there are some possibilities however it could require importing the engine and technology into the US. So how would you do it and could you get away with it??

Some of the people on this board from outside the US chime in on this as you all have first hand knowledge about the diesel motors that are available outside the US. Pictures would be great!

HB280ZT