HybridZ

ZIBURON?!?!! thinkin out loud here!

redneck1545

I was just thinking out loud on this topic here but has if you've seen the new tiburon's that are mad by hyundai (or however ya spell it) you can immediatly see the similiarity in the rear quarter of the tiburon compared with the s30 rear quarter...Much though and money has gone into modifying the s30 cars before now and each one tries to make it unique as possible...Im in the sandblasting/metal fab stage right now with a early 260z and couln't help but pondering the removal of the z roof and replace it with a tiburon's roof line...not only would it provide better aerodynamics and SICK SLEEK look but I just think it would be one more unique Z out there...who knows maybe I could start a new trend! Just trying to get some others opinions on the matter. I think only a very select few z's have been chopped or have "raked" the windshield and it took ALOT of thought measuring and welding...This task will probably be no different in the aspect of thinkin, measuring, and fabin but wouln't it look crazy SICK!?!?!?! i havent done any measurements for this type of fabrication or if there even close in size but they are both fairly small cars and it looks to possible(looks can be decieving!) but I think if i can find a wrecked tiburon with all the pillars in good shape i might look into doin this...Im well aware that side windows and door jambs and all that are gonna be a pain in the arse but thats half the fun right?!?!.So chime in with your thoughts!!!

2-2007-2008-hyundai-tiburon_thumb.jpg

7438-1973-Datsun-240z_thumb.jpg

Alot of work and money, but think about it, is it really worth all that? Is it going to make it go faster? Will it really look better? Is it that much of a change? I'm far from a stocker but I think it would be too much work, not as stable, and cost alot of money and time, and in the end it wouldnt be worth as much. If I were going to try to modify the roof for aero, I would lower it, but then again, that would equal less cabin space and I'm a tall guy. If you use the right/make the right body kit, you can achieve a more modern look with less extensive modifications. Removing the drip rails smooth off the roof for a more modern look. Painting the trim black or blending it with the body and painting it the same color as the car can achieve a more modern look.

In the end, You dont really have to extensively cut the old z up to achieve a modern look, this car was before its time.

Both stock roof's look to be the same height, so again I dont think it would be worth it.

s301.jpg

2005_Hyundai_Tiburon_ext_1.jpg

Heres a lowered z roof... imo it doesnt look much better, and its probably now a bare to get in and out of.

645045_17_full.jpg

Leave it the way it is. The lines on the Z's are timeless and unique as it is, how many S30's do you see in your area? We're not talking about putting an integra front end on a sunfire here (yes i've seen it done).

Btw that last pic with the chopped Z roof looks like ass! The proportions just look stupid.

Leave it the way it is. The lines on the Z's are timeless and unique as it is, how many S30's do you see in your area?

Btw that last pic with the chopped Z roof looks like ass! The proportions just look stupid.

Few people leave the car alone; many modify it with flares, spoilers and airdams. This site doesn't promote stock anything really; this site is about modifying the Z.

As far as the Z with the chopped roof is concerned: That pic is NOT representative of what that particular car was in the process of becoming. There are other pictures of more finished stages of that car and they have drawn mostly positive comments. The metal and body work the owner was in process of doing was top notch--it almost looked like a Lamborghini Miura as I recall. Don't knock something in the initial phases...

Davy

^ well sorry, didn't mean to piss in anyone's cornflakes and offend the site by promoting leaving well enough alone. Nothing wrong with spoilers, airdams, etc. I would consider most of the stuff on here "accessorizing" moreso than "hardcore" modifications. Not a huge deal.

You're talking to a guy who has built several jeeps, many with different drivetrains and suspensions etc. Leaf springs, coils, coilovers, long-arms, 40"+ tires, huge V8 swaps with over 400HP and 400lb/ft.

So i'm not new to the "mod" scene and i'm 23 years old. I just know when something looks like ♥♥♥♥ and when to leave well enough alone. Sure putting an LS1 or RB26TT in a Z car is cool, but does it make you original and the messiah of modding? Hell no, it's like an Integra GS-R swap in a Civic. Whoop-de-♥♥♥♥ it's all been done. Anywhoozer, i'm just here to learn and get info and pass it along. Not really concerned if I fit in. And if I took your post the wrong way, sorry I just felt like youw ere talking down to me like I was unaware. I've got post counts similar to yours on many motocross, jeep and car modification forums i'm not a noob...

actually it's the fact that the wheels are too small to fit the wells. if the car was slammed to the ground and had about 1 extra inch of glass height,. it would look superb... almost like a modern day aston martin db car

lol im getting some seriously mixed responses...i like it! personally i like the idea of having more rake to roof...now true, im not willing to sell my kidney to be able to afford do it but still, conceptually nice though i think.

thanks for all the feedback so far...we'll see what happens down the road with my current project and see if im willing to dig into my pockets that deep or not! thanks

With a little Photoshop magic, it's easy to superimpose a "see thru" Tiburon on the Z and see that the windows & roof line are a very close match. You'd have to check actual dimensions as there was probably a little distortion in the picture process - see below.

Dennis

8577_thumb.attach