HybridZ

Greddy intake prices - unreasonable?

BenJammin

Okay, if someone wants to go down the RB swap road, we already know it's an expensive trip, so don't go unless you can afford it - without bitching like I'm about to do!

... and yes, I know it's not an absolute requirement to get a Greddy style, but it just looks so damn sweeeet :mrgreen: ! Nevermind the actual performance gains.

Even with that acknowledgement, does anyone think Greddy intake prices are unreasonable?

Seriously, you can go out and buy a highly engineered intake for a chevy or ford for a couple hundred bucks. Please don't preach to me about that comparison, I know the production numbers are way out of whack (i.e. infinitely more of those US motors out there - economy of scale stuff)

Plus, I understand the concept they [Greddy] probably spent considerable R&D money and they need to recoup their investment. No problem with that... but $900 a pop ?!

There are so many copies out there for a few hundred bucks (some polished versions selling for upwards of $500 - $600). And they GET those prices cause it looks like a bargain compared to the real thing. Those copies should be selling for a lot less, but Greddy's almost ridiculous pricing helps drive the copies to a ridiculous level too!

Don't you think if Greddy dropped those prices down to a realistic (?) price of somewhere between $400- $600 they would probably eliminate most if not all of the copycat competition [and actually sell MORE of the real thing] because people would be more inclined to spring for the genuine product?

It would certainly steer me away from the China crap (and yes, I have been considering it even though I just used the word crap)

I'm always astonished at what prices small parts like BOV and WG bring. The turbo hobby in and of it self is not cheap for real power. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Miami Car I looked at. Even after reviewing his price list of 19K I was like so. Live and learn.

I'm a cheap bastard anyway.

Yeah, good point, I never actually priced extrude honing/porting, hmmm.

But about the statement "they cost that much because people pay that much"... true, certain products can extract high prices, but one of my points was they would probably sell much more with a decent price cut (enough to make up the difference in profit margin and then some). I would guess there are plenty like me who would like to have one, but really, really, REALLY, hesitant to drop that kind of coin on one piece, and probably will opt for the copy in the long run.

... then I'll make that Greddy sticker with my computer!

I guess I'm just a cheap-a** in a game that costs more than I can stomach sometimes.

Hey Ben,

Im using a Jun style copy and to be honest it works great and looks good too. If you don't care about using a knock off in principle then go for it. I would steer clear of knock off blow off valves etc because the ones I have had experience with are trash. I figure if I save a few hundred here and there where I can it really adds up. Any how thats my two cents worth ..

Chris

im with chris on this one. it's moving parts that i would much less take short cuts on. i would buy a copy and either modify it or just run it as is if you really consider the factory manifold to be a hinderance.

but valves or solenoids of any sort, unless taken apart and inspected like the TiAL WG copy that stony had?.... forget it

The copies i used were the tial 60mm blow off. and the copy of the HKS 60mm wastegate. all have held up fine. I'm also using the ebay 4inch think intercooler that is also working great up to this point.

Made 600 at the wheels on the dyno and this weekend made a 140MPH pass. The exact same wastegate and blowoff im using i have heard from other that they leak and didn't hold boost. But like careless said i tore mine apart and inspected it to make sure everything was good.

I used these parts in a very controlled environment and also had alot of safety (ECU settings) to prevent damage if something fails.

Now i did at one point buy an exhaust manifold just so i could have one that LOOKED GOOD. but it didn't fit. i have also heard the same on the intakes. it takes allot of massaging to get some of them to work.

I agree with stony, my intake fitted up great, however the casting wasn't perfect but it works fine so im happy. As far as the exhaust manifold I have an OBX on and it was a pain to get mounted correctly alot of work with a file as well as rewelding and repositioning the turbo flange. So far though its working nice. Stony has some good copies from the sounds of things, I had some bad ones I think it basically comes down to the consumer knowing what they are buying. Ill have to check who I got the mainfold off I bought it last year. Its easy to say that knock off are crap or knock offs are awesome, I personally believe it is a case by case situation. If you can save some money safely do it. On the same note be prepared to lose a bit of money if the product turns out crappy like my BOV I bought.

Cheers Chris

I want one of those babies but thats why Greddy is known by a lot of people as "Greedy". They make quality parts but you gotta shell out a hell of a lot for em. You would think prices on items such as this would be dropping due to the fact that gas is getting more expensive by the day and people are in "milage mode" insted of the good old "horsepower mode".

I am on the flipside, i think the Greddy is worth every dollar. There is no need to modify it to get it to fit, and it comes with all the fittings and hoses.

Plenty of guys here in Australia but the cheap china knockoffs, only to find they require a tonne of work to flow properly, or even to fit.. then they need to find/buy all the fittings..

besides, the plenums are cheaper in the US than they are from japan, so your lucky you don't have to pay much for postage :)

in the scheme of things $900 isn't that much if it saves you piping, and a lot of work

One thing that has not been mentioned is the simple fact that, when you compare this piece to the counterparts that exist for American Iron on these shores, you have to also mention the fact that multiple companies have been competing with different products for the V8 market, and have been forced by each other to increase quality and decrease costs. Not only that, but they have also had DECADES to work on minimizing production costs, as well as decades of making profits; the greddy RB piece has made far less money for its owners at this point. As such, it is a far more valuable piece.

The competition shows one of the strong points of unburdened free market capitalism.. but the conformity factor involved (no one here is wanting to "go V8 and this is a premium cost of that choice) is an unfortunate cost of that free market choice.

I say someone should buy a greddy manifold, cut it in half, knock off a mold, and cast manifold halves so they can be hand tweaked and welded together.. Backyard blast furnaces CAN be built that would be capable of the task. I looked into the entire concept a few months ago and if I get a chance, I think I may build a small furnace to try some small-scale casting, just to see what its like. Who knows how far one might be able to go.

Or, you could just cough up the 500+ for either a knockoff tweaked into goodness or the price for the genuine unit. Or just go ITB. They are all expensive choices; it stinks. Honestly, that is why I stick mostly with L6s.

the post referring to case by case for the quality of knock-off products is right

however in this age of internet buying,sight unseen,you pay your money and you take your chances.....so how much do you want to pay and how much of a chance are you prepared to take

i know of at least 2 Greddy copies that were porous in the ports,so bad they couldn't be welded up...others have fitted them and been happy

personally i would always go with improving the standard one(extruded honed/ported) or buying a custom fabricated local one that has R&D results and a reputation to protect(not to mention funding a local business)

well just to put it in perspective, if you get a " FREDDY" you gotta worry about casting imperfections. alot of people have complained that they bought the ebay Freddy brand and got some particles from the cast in their motor. same thing with their sr20 oil pans. 900 msrp isnt bad. you can get them discounted if you shop around. you only get what you pay for.