HybridZ

i broke something!!!!!!!

bakerzxt

i have an 83 zxt and the other night i was leaving a car meet and as i was pulling out of the lot something broke from the rear end of my car. i first pulled right over i thought it was my clutch but i was able to drive the car fine if i want. but there is a thumping noise like metal banging in the rear of my car as the car moves. i think it is a cv axles but i am not a hundred percent sure. if anyone has an idea of what this is or how i can find the problem please let me know thanks.

This happened to me in my zxt. Pulled off the diff cover and the large pin that holds the gears together moved out of place ( outward ), pushed back and welded into place (flush with of the gears). And I never had any more issues after that. The guy who welded this for me said this was just a easy fix, but suggested that I get ifixed as soon as possible. I drove it about two or three years after and it still held up.

I had a similar experience at the track - but I completely blew a universal on the drivers side half-shaft that resulted in it beating my brakes into oblivion on that side. Obvioulsy your ability to drive the car indicates that nothing is broken completely - just partly. I'd look real hard at your CV joints again as well as the differential. You can have damage that will make a lot of noise but not be really obvious at first look.

yea well this is turning out to be a bigger job than i first thought. i just drained the diff and realized in order to pull the cover i have to drop the diff. so i have to change my clutch as well so i am going to do it all while i am at it. i want to make sure there is nothing wrong with my cv's but how can i confirm that they are good or broken.

so i got to work on my car for like an hour this morning and i dropped the exhaust and i was trying to get the driveshaft out and i could not loosen the nuts. two of them felt like there were about to round off so i just stopped. does anyone have any tricks they know off to get the driveshaft nuts off without rounding them off. i loaded them up with pb blaaster and still they wouldnt budge.

Yeah those driveshaft nuts are a pain. With the rear wheels off the ground you should be able to turn the shaft by hand to get the nuts in an easier position to work with. Just keep them soaked down in PB Blaster and get a PROPER SIZED WRENCH so you DON"T round the edges. I believe the shaft nuts are a 10mm or 12mm. They should loosen up eventually so long as you keep working with them carefully. I also suggest using a flat punch and a small hammer to tap them with or a mechanics torch to heat them with. Sometimes it loosens whatever is holding them to the threads.

well i finally got some time to work on my car. and i dropped the diff and the tranny. i changed my clutch and put the tranny back up. and when i got to the diff i pulled the diff cover i discovered some bad news. the cross pin that holds the spider gears broke its retaining pin and the shaft moved back and for and make the hole oblong in the cast iron carrier. so that was the noise i was hearing. but whatever now i am just going to put an LSD in.

bakerzxt:

Kudos to you for getting dirty and discovering the problem, but even more so for posting what you found out!

One of my major gripes about some forums is that the members will ask and never post solutions. Let's not talk about threads that stay in order of original post date - talk about lame....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...