HybridZ

Carpet replacement

Dayz

I wanted to let some of you know what I did with the carpet, as a replacement.

I didn't want to buy a new carpet already made for 3 reason:

- The quality fit (everyone says it never fits well);

- The fact that I wanted the whole floor to be covered in carpet (no vinyl)

- the risk to pay for not getting what I expected.

I decided to buy carpet in a roll and make it myself...how hard could it be.

Parts

- 4 yard x 60" of carpet (this will cover the whole car) I choose to go with the original theme and get loop pile. I choose the one that are in the New Chrysler 300

80$ Cdn.

- Insulation, Get what you need...Depending on where you want to put it.

Steps

1- For the back part Use your old carpet as a template and cut a little bigger, trim it while to test fit it.

2- Floor Width of the car for the carpet is 80", length can be used with 60"

- Cut it square

- Measure a center line, this have to be precise since you want the back of your carpet to follow the back the floor where it meets the vertical piece. Make sure it is square, it will make a nicer job.

- Now, starting from the back, on the tunnel, measure the first guide. I have used the square block where you bolt the center console. Find the second one until the tunnel becomes bigger. (Front seat bracket)

- Cut your seat bracket ... And go from there.

08022008-001.jpg

08022008-003.jpg

- At this point you will have minimal cut and will have to sew it together. And put a trim at the edge of the carpet to make it nicer.

I will post the following steps later on.

Any advice, please share, that was my way, there are probably better ways.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Glue not necessary unless you use underlay, in which case the two layers can bunch up. that is why when you buy from MSA, or others, the carpet and the underlay are bonded together. You can mechanically fasten them, ie with some form of a snap fastener that joins the two either together and/or joins the two to the floor, or with spray on glue between the layers, especially if you are using closed cell foam like I am.

Glue not necessary unless you use underlay, in which case the two layers can bunch up. that is why when you buy from MSA, or others, the carpet and the underlay are bonded together. You can mechanically fasten them, ie with some form of a snap fastener that joins the two either together and/or joins the two to the floor, or with spray on glue between the layers, especially if you are using closed cell foam like I am.

So are you using glue between the two layers? I have the MSA kit too but will be using Fat Mat or something similar and am curious what other people are using.

I forgot about this thread. I didn't use glue between the carpet and the underlay,,,I guess you could but it was easier to adjust without it. Worked fine for me.

I stitched all the edge with a vinyl edge for boat carpet...I will post some pics later...I forgot to take some pics ...I guess I will take some later tonight. I believe I did a good job on this one.

So are you using glue between the two layers? I have the MSA kit too but will be using Fat Mat or something similar and am curious what other people are using.

My flooring is as follows:

1) RaaMat BXT sound insulation (cheaper than Dynomat and Rick is good to deal with): this is self-adhering material

2) ensolite closed cell foam: glued down with spray on elmers glue to the RAAMat

3) extra automotive carpet underlay in the front cabin area: have not decided if I need to glue this to the ensolite or just lay it down

3) carpet from Stock interiors http://www.stockinteriors.com which has underlay bonded to it.

4) floor mats: cheapo ones for now better ones later: will likely look to a mechanical fastener (snaps) to keep this from moving around when I heel and toe :mrgreen:

will post pics when i get to this stage.

Very nice install. Can I get pictures of finished look? Especially by the door sill.

+1

Looks like it went really well so far.

Pictures of it completed would be appreciated, I need to get my interior done and this might be the route that I go with it.

Thanks in advance

My '72 240Z came with a carpet kit but I don't like the fit and finish. The sound damping on the pad is poor as well. I did my own on my 280ZX 15 years ago and it looked great. Did the "molded" part in the foot well using contact cement and an extra piece of carpet turned backwards to make the joint. Lasted perfectly the eight years I had the car. The alternative is to sew it with fishing line so it never rots out.

Looks great! Amazing what new carpet will do for a car.

That looks really good!

In my case my original diamond pattern vinyl is in really good shape, so I did not want to carpet the tunnel or vertical area behind the seats, that meant that serging (carpet edging) was necessary at least on all visible borders.

I washed all the vinyl pieces and, and refinished them with a coat of vinyl paint, black in my case, then I re installed the original horsehair insulation and glued the vinyl down.

As a noise control material I used two layers of an aluminum backed self adhesive (very aggresive glue) roll material sold at the roofing section of home depot, it comes in 6" wide rolls and is A LOT cheaper than overpriced Dynomat or other materials that, acoustically are essentially the same: a vibration dampener.

DSC06534.jpgDSC06535.jpg

I then made detailed templates out of heavy paper and tape of all areas to be carpeted and cut them all out of 80/20 loop auto carpeting. I cut the perimeter about 1/4" bigger to allow for some fine trimming. I searched the net and yellow pages for auto carpeting suppliers and found several. Shipping can get expensive with these materials.

A few calls to area carpet stores yielded nothing, so I called a local rug cleaner business, the kind that cleans persian rugs, and got numbers for companies that do serging in my area. The cost per phone quote, (I'm in Houston) is $1.20 fer foot, but will shop around some more as I got quotes for as much as $3.00.

I will do the floor perimeter except for the door sill that gets a trim piece, total about 10 linear feet per side, plus the hatch area.