HybridZ

240Z Rally Car

I've owned my 240Z for a little bit now and have been saving up my money while looking for inspiration on which direction to take the project. After seeing the antique 240Z rally cars I've been inspired to make a street-able version of one. The problem I'm running into is mainly chassis/suspension, I can't find any suspension kits that raise the car or at least don't lower it. Any suggestions?

1219559894702yj4.jpg

1219559628158vn1.jpg

The rally suspension had stiffer springs to raise the car...that is about as basic as you can get. The original rally cars did not use coil-overs, just a specific strut/spring combination that resulted in raising of the car that much. In the worst case, cutting of the spring perch and raising it an inch or two would give you more height, as well as move the lower spring perch out of the way of the tire inner sidewall...

I would look into simply getting custom springs for it... Any off-road, truck, or wheeler shop should be able to help you with a set of springs that would have the ride height and characteristics you want. If you plan on making any substantial changes to the car (ie engine swap, extra steel for roll cage or whatever, significant weight change things) then do those first, before getting the springs made....

...BUT.. Look at those tires.

Look at them.

Throw some 80 series sidewalls on the car and you will be AMAZED how tall it sits.

Stock suspension, 80 series freebie tires I got from a friend when I was in a jam:

thread010.jpg

you can always just find out the diameter and length of the stock springs, then go to basically any spring manufacture, and order that length/diameter you need. I'm sure a company like Sway-a-way would have springs in teh size you need.

Still have to get the struts/shocks to have a range of motion, too.

They did have some massive tires on them. I found it interesting that the african car and the monte carlo car had very different suspension characteristics. I know the tires and wheels make a HUGE difference, but I also need the space for those tires and wheels to travel. Btw I'm fairly sure at least one of the rally cars was running custom springs and Koni gas shocks.