HybridZ

280ZXT T5 into a 240Z -70?

Kimi

I've been searching and reading old topics about the s130 T5-swap into a early 240Z:s. I feel I still need to make some questions, I hope these things haven't been covered too many times earlier :redface:

If I've understood it correctly, these things needs to be considered:

- the driveshaft will need to be changed (becouse the early 4-speed drivershaft is different). I'll also use a moustache bar from a later model s30 to move the R180 diff.

- the trans mount has to be changed somehow so the T5 will fit.

- probably need to cut the opening in the transmission tunnel, for the shifter.

I would like to know what else do I need to know before this swap?

The car will have an L26 swapped at the same time. Will I have any issues with the clutch? Will the speedo cable fit in the T5 or do I need a different one? Anything else I've missed?

I had my driveshaft made by Wenco in California. It has a Nissan front yoke, which is unique seal diameter for the output spline. It is not the same as the other Nissan driveshafts. I had a 1310 (Chevy) u-joint put on the rear of my custom shaft and use the Neapco adapter. If you want a 1310 joint in the front, Wenco will turn down a Dodge yoke which has the right spline count to the Nissan seal diameter. With an NA 2.9l motor, I saw no need for the bigger joints.

I replaced the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate with all turbo car parts, so not sure if you will have problems there or not. I ditched the incredibly crappy Nissan T5 shifter for a Hurst. Many other options available as well.

the trans crossmsmber will have to be modified, I simply cut mine and slid the center portion back selded it up and added some simple bracing, driveshaft will vary depending on your diff, the shifter hole lined up IIRC it is a bit tight with the fuel and brake lines through the trans tunnel on the early chassis

Thanks for the help. I'll start the project in a month or so and I'll take a look at the parts I've got and ask more questions if I can't figure out how to complete the swap.

As blairjj asked, which Hurst shifter did you use Mike C?

Anyone, does the speedo cable from an early 240Z fit the 280ZXT T5?

even a stock shifter from a mustang is better than an old worn out Nissan unit. I found the stock ones with a short shifter work better than the quick ratio stuff since the quick ratios sit up so high and can interfere with the console. shifters for tremecs will not work, must be T-5 shifters.

As Greg said, the quick ratio shifter sits up higher and the stop plates will hit the console. What I did with mine (Pro 50) was to turn the stop plate upside down so it clears the console. The stops won't work like this but you still have the quick ratio. Just don't slam gears like this or your going to break roll pins like you would with the stock shifter.

Joe

Sorry for the delay... Mine was the Competition Plus in the kit with boot and trim pieces. I swapped handles to one that was the shortest I could find. You might want to look at some other options, but it works great. A little shorter is what I would be looking for.