HybridZ

turbo lq9 help!

planning a turbo lq9 swap,,, currently trying 2 get all the parts 2gether that i will need,, ive noticed that the flipped truck manifold is popular among tha f-body guys and was wondering if anyone has done it in a Z? if it will fit or any other info???

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you even figure out if they will fit the Z chassis, they can only be used if you have no a/c compressor and a high-mounted alternator or both compressor and alternator high-mounted. If that is all OK, then the issue is clearing the steering shaft.

I have a pair from a 5.3L you have cheap to help me clean out the garage.

In the pics, the one on top would be on the drivers-side.

LM4-1_thumb.JPG

LM4-2_thumb.JPG

Awesome. You are in a position to use those manifolds. I assume the engine is not already in the car, so maybe someone can look at the manifold on top in the pic and tell if it will hit the steering shaft. The lowest point of the manifold is directly under the front port. I think it will fit.

That is so awesome, i just became a member of ls1tech right now researching the same swap into my 77 this winter. Im only shooting for 425lbft cuz keeping stock r200 n rear.... have you found how to tune these things w turbos? also need to know boost limits on stock internals??? when it comes ot the install im sure this has been done sucsessfully before. would aslo love keepin my stock heads like i said i want 450 lbft n 550 hp if stock rear can cope!!! Awesome thread keep this on goin pls!!!

Done Alot Of Reasearch On The Motor,, With A Gt-42 Or Similar Sized Turbo And About 8 Psi Most Fbofys Dyno About 575 Ish To The Wheeles On A Bone Stock Motor(with Fuel Upgrades Obviously). Seen Some Guys Runnin As Much As 10 Psi On 91 Ocatne Gas,,,,,usually Controlled By The Stock Pcm

been on ls1tech all day figuring out what my small mind can lmao..., atleast when it comes to the routing of the turbos, im a pipefitter that specializes in sanitary in-place weliding stainless steel. were coverd there no prob, but the more i look at the layout of our engines, twins off of the truck manifolds right into the intercoolers seems dead perfect the more i look. should fit no prob but these are only guesses for sure. im thinkin that 8psi is exactly what i want and 2 small twins, think stock eclipse/evo, would be a way cleaner install than a cross over to a single but lag wont be an issue either way should be plenty more than i need. what up with stock ecm controlling turbo'd motor? been into bikes for swhile in everything has piggyback fuel managers.... btw factoryinternals look good for 600 easy, this is nuts cuz we can set for higher boost levels in higher gear/rpms easily.... i got 1400 bucks to do this so this one will be penny pincher for sure!!!

also what transcombo you thinkin? t56 seem smartest for me since stock torque limit is 450lbft.... will know more on this later im researchin t56 rite now, cheap its not though am researching swappin input shafts from other makes---cobra--viper

Good god guys read your posts before you post it! Scottie is the only one who's post I didn't have to re-read 3 times to understand it. I'm sure your excited to start your swap but you will get more help if we can read your posts clearly.

no problem scott----2 turbo'd lq9, t56, r200-- custom driveshaft

fabbing the mounts, all of them...

need info on tuning stock ecm for 10lbs boost, ive been lurkin here for bout 8years playin w z's bout 14

hey yessir-----check ebay out on those, if you live near one of those yards its almost stealing. im gettin qouted 1300 for plenum to pan on a 70k 5.3 locally---dont think so lmao

• 4 weeks later...
i picked up a complete 30k mile lq9(6.0) with pcm harness and auto trans for 1500[/QUOPerfect, buy a set of MLS GM head gaskets, ARP head studs, 42# injectors, Ls1 intake, 2002 up Z06 cam,and a 74 to 76 mm turbo, with at least a 44mm gate. You will also need a rising rate FPR, as well as many other items. Best to get it tuned by a competent shop, unless you are willing to put some time and effort into the tune.

This combo will work well with a 3.40 and lesser gear ratio with this light car. You probably be easier on the rear with the auto trans and an electronic boost controller that allows a variable rate.. Oh yea, if you want to go one step further get some rod bolts.

• Administrators
Good god guys read your posts before you post it! Scottie is the only one who's post I didn't have to re-read 3 times to understand it. I'm sure your excited to start your swap but you will get more help if we can read your posts clearly.

Absolutely. Clean it up, guy's.

• 4 weeks later...

Duely noted sir. I humbly apologize for my lack of professionalism as I must profess only until now have I found one forum that handles some regulation of cinduct. Its refreshing to say the least and once again I apologize.

P.S. I am a pipefitter by trade and a mechanics son, and this is my first swap so any and all input is welcome ive been lurking in the forums trying to decide which car to build and theres a nice 77 parts car of mine that needs some 5.3 turbo theropy and a nice frame and cage.

Most of my questions are of the fesabiltl of runnin chanel through the uni-body to the front reat mounts and the pans as well. I'm searching feverishly so once again all advice is welcome.

Thankyou for your time,

Rk

• Administrators

Duely noted sir. I humbly apologize for my lack of professionalism as I must profess only until now have I found one forum that handles some regulation of cinduct. Its refreshing to say the least and once again I apologize.

P.S. I am a pipefitter by trade and a mechanics son, and this is my first swap so any and all input is welcome ive been lurking in the forums trying to decide which car to build and theres a nice 77 parts car of mine that needs some 5.3 turbo theropy and a nice frame and cage.

Most of my questions are of the fesabiltl of runnin chanel through the uni-body to the front reat mounts and the pans as well. I'm searching feverishly so once again all advice is welcome.

Thankyou for your time,

Rk

Thank you.

Your use of channel in the car, I'm assuming, is for chassis stiffening? If so, search specifically for chassis stiffening, body stiffening, Tube frame, Roll cage etc. There are a few very good in depth threads regarding strategic body stiffening.

Again, thank you, and keep us posted on your project.

Paul