HybridZ

Is it time to replace my Izusu NPR intercooler?

jgkurz

Hi All,

Back when I was building my car I decided to use an intercooler from an Izusu NPR. It's the large NPR IC and I got it cheap. To date, I have had no complaints as it seems to be working very well. So far I've been able to get about 523 crank HP from my setup. I have no reason to believe the NPR IC is a weak link if I wanted more HP. I can measure my intake temps but that's really the only way I could compare to another IC.

What do you think, should I stick with the NPR or is there going to be a noticeable temp drop with a new style IC?

Here's what it looks like:

P1010010_thumb.jpg

IMG_0137 (Medium)_thumb.JPG

You have 523 crank HP!

holy freakn crap!

wow man.. with your specs I wouldn't expect those numbers!!

Thanks.... I think.:mrgreen: What HP would you have expected? Did you look at my website for the specs? On the dyno I made 454.99rwhp. To get my bhp, I calculated 15% drivetrain loss which is 523hp. I've seen some folks use a more generous % for drivetrain loss. I've always thought 15% was more accurate but I can't say for sure.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm thinking for a pressure test I could use my Tec3 datalogger. On a stretch of road I could log pressure with the MAP sensor connected to the intake manifold (normal configuration). To test the pressure differential I could plumb the same hose to a location near outlet of the turbo. I would then log pressure a second time on the same stretch of road using the same acceleration and boost. This would likely cause a richer fuel condition since the EFI will think the engine is getting more boost then in reality. I don't view this as an issue.

I suppose I could do the same thing with the IAT sensor for measuring temps. I'd just have to weld a bung somewhere in the plumbing before the I/C.

There must be some way to set up a manometer between each side of the I/C...but then recording it and keeping the fluid out of your engine may be challenging.

John, doesn't your boost gauge have a recorded max indicator? You can hook that up on the I/C inlet side and keep your Tec3 datalogger as the outlet side. Then compare the difference in the recorded max pressures.

I'd think that the pressure drop across the piping may be negligible. Not sure if it will work, since there may only be a few PSI pressure drop. The boost gauge is probably not as accurate as a MAP sensor (even though it is MAP-sensor based, the dial is analog). It would be interesting to see the results...:icon44:

Could also use two 2 BAR MAP sensors, tieing them into voltage reference, ground and then using a pair of DMMs, you can see how much difference there. record the max differences and then through calculations, come up with an actual pressure difference. Might even be able to set up gauge to show the difference.

Could also use two 2 BAR MAP sensors, tieing them into voltage reference, ground and then using a pair of DMMs, you can see how much difference there. record the max differences and then through calculations, come up with an actual pressure difference. Might even be able to set up gauge to show the difference.

You Genius :icon15:...:icon45:

Six_Shooter, I think that would work great. I believe there are two GM MAP sensors already installed. :icon54:

You Genius :icon15:...:icon45:

Six_Shooter, I think that would work great. I believe there are two GM MAP sensors already installed. :icon54:

I need one of my MAP sensors to run my EFI. The second MAP sensor is for my boost gauge. Some great idea's here. I need to get busy.....:icon14: