HybridZ

Project VQ is Underway!

EMWHYR0HEN

The rear pipe is just tacked on right now. A flange is going to be added for a muffler and a staight pipe for the track

When I read that your exhaust weighed 34lbs with muffler, then saw that you had no muffler in your pics, I thought, HA. That's how he got it so light, no muffler.

Also, did spinning the intake proved to be a stupid idea?

I give some some major credit EMWHYR0HEN, you are kicking some ass on this project. And to be honest youve made me get off of mine!! At least I posted my finished exhuast pictures first!!!!

You definitely are making some good progress being a student its impressive do you go to school near your car? Im a ME too, and NC State university. Just one more year left, this ♥♥♥♥ starts kicking your ass junior/senior year. What really slowed me down was working full time over the summer as a ME Co-op and taking two labs that and driving two hours to get to my car... But no excuses lol.

Anyway looking great, that steering shaft relocation is really slick as well. Where did you get the universal?

I give some some major credit EMWHYR0HEN, you are kicking some ass on this project. And to be honest youve made me get off of mine!! At least I posted my finished exhuast pictures first!!!!

You definitely are making some good progress being a student its impressive do you go to school near your car? Im a ME too, and NC State university. Just one more year left, this ♥♥♥♥ starts kicking your ass junior/senior year. What really slowed me down was working full time over the summer as a ME Co-op and taking two labs that and driving two hours to get to my car... But no excuses lol.

Anyway looking great, that steering shaft relocation is really slick as well. Where did you get the universal?

I appreciate the comments.

If everyone only knew how much of your time goes to school being a ME major senior and all..... To be honest I don't know how you do it. I'm still taking my lower division ME courses so a have a little cushion for free time :D plus my car is only a couple feet from my house.

By sharing by photos/info/progress my main goal is to just add technical info for people in the future and If I can help motivate/inspire people on their cars then even better.

BTW I got my steering stuff from Speedwaymotors.

Now that someone mentioned it, It might just be easier/nicer to fab an upper inake manifold with the TB facing forwards (like the LS V8 engines)

I not liking the idea of cutting into the cowl anymore.

I know nothing about fabbing manifolds if anyone has anything to share please speak freely. I was thinking of possibly cutting the manifold and using the stock flange for accurate mounting. Since hood clearence might be an issue if I move the TB up I might have to lower the height of the manifold.

I not liking the idea of cutting into the cowl anymore.

Thank you...Im no intake expert by any means but seeing how you weld and fabricate Im sure you could cut up he stock top half and fabricate a new front facing intake.

Do you have a pic of the inderside of tha upper intake you can share?

To be honest Im not understanding what is so bad about how the factory manifold is laid out. If i was doing this swap :D I would run the stock plenum with a spacer or a kinetix unit. Before I modded the factory plenum I think I would just make my own custom plenum from the ground up.

Big deal if its 12" farther back in the engine bay, its still a straight shot. I used the piping to help fill up the extra space up front.

IMG_3738.sized.jpg

But thats just my 2 cents.

Mikedc528- Thanks for the suggestion I'll have to look into it but, i'd hate to buy it and find out it doesnt clear.

Austin - If the intake cleared everything I would have left it just like that.

Heres the problem:

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

The largest pipe I can squeeze between the reinforcing bar and the engine is 2'' od

Also, I wasnt able to squeeze the throttle body in there and bolt it in all the way.

I've considerd moving the bars but, they are on an important area on the cowl so that has to be like my last resort.

So that leaves me with mountng the TB up front and modding the manifold, the back and modding the cowl and manifold, or up and modding the hood (unlikely)

You can possibly fabricate an elbow that bolts to the Upper Plenum (with the T-body removed) that can then go under the reinforcement bar, then bolt the T-body to that. Basically relocate the T-body where there is more room for it & hopefully it will allow you to use a larger diameter pipe by starting the elbow further back.

Otherwise do something custom!