HybridZ

Project VQ is Underway!

EMWHYR0HEN

Automakers spend $$ millions developing engine mounts. The basics points are NVH as everyone mentioned.

This is a track car with stiff suspension and almost all solid bushings. what's noise, vibration, and harshness?

Each mount has a purpose. I recommend keeping the original designed engine + trans mounts but beef up the surrounding body rigidity

besides a full roll cage how much more can I beef up?

IMG_00101.JPG

Let's move on past this whole engine mount + trans mount thing. This is the setup im going to run unless I decide to daily drive my car or if my frame cracks (which I think is really unlikely).

Thanks again everyone for the comments.

I modded the fuel rails to run a fuel return and an external FPR. The stock dampers were removed and both ends of the rails were drilled open large enough to accept some steel -6AN weld on fittings.

IMG_20781.JPG

IMG_2075.JPG

As of right now i'm working on the coolant tubes and hoses.

I've decided to bypass the coolant passage that goes through the intake manifold. All it does is warm the throttle body on cold days below 50F (not a problem in So.Cal.) At the same time warming the manifold and intake air temp so no real benifit for me. I'm also going to weld the heater inlets and outlets shut.

Then there's this coolant hose that runs on the front of the engine. It's connected on the coolant tube outlet (hot), runs accross the front of the engine,then feeds back into the engine's inlet (cool) bypassing the radiator.

Never seen this before. This would tend to make engine/coolant temps a bit warmer. Anyone see any good reasons why not to bypass it?

IMG_2090.JPG

IMG_20911.JPG

IMG_20921.JPG

This is a track car with stiff suspension and almost all solid bushings. what's noise, vibration, and harshness?

besides a full roll cage how much more can I beef up?

IMG_00101.JPG

Let's move on past this whole engine mount + trans mount thing. This is the setup im going to run unless I decide to daily drive my car or if my frame cracks (which I think is really unlikely).

LOL definitely an understatement. Very nice setup.

Automakers spend $$ millions developing engine mounts. The basics points are NVH as everyone mentioned. But mounts are also created to transmit the G-force smoothly through the powertrain in harmony with the designed engineered body stiffness and to the ground. Each mount has a purpose. I recommend keeping the original designed engine + trans mounts but beef up the surrounding body rigidity.

The original mounts are hydro that are supposed to "pop and drop" in a collision. I wouldn't keep those. Many peeps replace them. I'd rather the engine stay where it is. Obviously this puppy isn't built with NVH high on the priority list.

Automakers spend $$ millions developing engine mounts. The basics points are NVH as everyone mentioned. But mounts are also created to transmit the G-force smoothly through the powertrain in harmony with the designed engineered body stiffness and to the ground. Each mount has a purpose. I recommend keeping the original designed engine + trans mounts but beef up the surrounding body rigidity.

Automakers spend the absolute least amount possible on everything. In the automotive world savings are measured in cents not dollars. The power of the almighty penny as we like to say. If you save .05 cents a car and build 300,000 cars that year you have done something.

Id leave it for now but once its up and running with it cold take a pair of hemostats and pinch off the hose and see how long it takes to warm up. Then do the same for it open. I would imagine it has something to do with putting a bypass on the system so that it doesnt put a huge load on the water pump from it trying to push water where it cant go with the thermostat closed.

Automakers spend the absolute least amount possible on everything. In the automotive world savings are measured in cents not dollars. The power of the almighty penny as we like to say. If you save .05 cents a car and build 300,000 cars that year you have done something.

As a rule yes. There are cost control measures and cost reduction measures built in everywhere including manufacturing and quality. But fundamentally development is development and advance planners have market equations $$ created to start the initial development. Development is expensive including testing / durability tests both internal engineering standards and others like SAE - IIHS - NHTSA & other country requirements. Automakers are always looking for ways to control costs and what can be shared with other vehicle programs or platform / architecture sharing. Example what is a sports car platform or whatever??? Can you call it a sports car platform if it does not have the 3-link or 5-link multi-link rear suspension? Many decisions are required to support the brand of the company.....Advance Planners - Engineerings - Marketing - Sales - etc. Creating and marketing automobiles is very complicated with global exchange rates. Cost reduction is painful and can kill the target performance setting initially created. Lastly if products don't generate revenue development is canceled. I'm in the automotive business of product development R&D at another major Japanese automotive company and this is a balance necessary on a daily basis.

As a rule yes. There are cost control measures and cost reduction measures built in everywhere including manufacturing and quality. But fundamentally development is development and advance planners have market equations $$ created to start the initial development. Development is expensive including testing / durability tests both internal engineering standards and others like SAE - IIHS - NHTSA & other country requirements. Automakers are always looking for ways to control costs and what can be shared with other vehicle programs or platform / architecture sharing. Example what is a sports car platform or whatever??? Can you call it a sports car platform if it does not have the 3-link or 5-link multi-link rear suspension? Many decisions are required to support the brand of the company.....Advance Planners - Engineerings - Marketing - Sales - etc. Creating and marketing automobiles is very complicated with global exchange rates. Cost reduction is painful and can kill the target performance setting initially created. Lastly if products don't generate revenue development is canceled. I'm in the automotive business of product development R&D at another major Japanese automotive company and this is a balance necessary on a daily basis.

It might be best if you take this discussion elsewhere as it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

I found out it's called the heater hose. It just may be a coolant passage the enables the heater core to warm much sooner.

No heater for me so it's on it's way out.

You might want to look at the discussions about the similar sounding hose on the L6 engine. The heater hose on the right side of the block that attaches from the back of the head to the timing cover allows coolant to circulate while the thermostat is closed. While many people block them off and don't have problems, I recall Tony D in particular stating that the purpose of the hose was to prevent small hot spots from forming in the coolant. If it circulates, it heats evenly is the basic jist.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108870

Thanks for the link Jon. More of a sword fight towards the end but, very informative to say the least. Another reason why we should all check out other subforums even if we don't need to be there.

You might want to look at the discussions about the similar sounding hose on the L6 engine. The heater hose on the right side of the block that attaches from the back of the head to the timing cover allows coolant to circulate while the thermostat is closed. While many people block them off and don't have problems, I recall Tony D in particular stating that the purpose of the hose was to prevent small hot spots from forming in the coolant. If it circulates, it heats evenly is the basic jist.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108870

Still waiting on parts for the steering and exhaust so I spent the day tightening up the rack & pinion and re-doing my strut tower brace.

I was forced to place the STB forward from center and at an angle with the RB setup but, since the VQ sits pretty low and level I lowered, leveled, and boxed the clevices per Coffey's advise.

IMG_21061.JPG

IMG_21091.JPG

IMG_2110.JPG