HybridZ

Tube Chassis Drag Car

I'm starting with the basic bars to get certified to 8.5. I'm adding the floor bars in so I can upgrade to 25.2 in the future if I want to. Until then, they will transfer chassis loads as my floorpan will be without SFC's. Just flat bottom 18ga sheet metal under the passenger compartment. I'm keeping the existing transmission tunnel. The rest of the floorboards are gone at this point.

280zcage-1.jpg

280zcage-2.jpg

280zcage-3.jpg

280zcage-4.jpg

280zcage-5.jpg

Justin

You DO realize that you can't have all of those seams in there, right? Not being ridiculous, but the tubes have to be mandrel bent, not welded L's & straight tubes. (Just stating the obvious, so nobody tries to do it with welded seams).

Yeah, That is very true Warren. Its just how the 3D program renders bent tubing.

Justin

I'M not trying to dog out your project it looks awesome. How fast are you trying to go.

My buddies z32 ( r230 ) broke a input shaft to the diff at the track. he's at around 620rwhp.

If your going to go thru all this and build a tube chassis car why not go with a ford 8.8 IRS. out of a cobra or something like that.

Looks great, here's the sawzall! :P

I don't want to take a jab at you stony, but lets not forget that the R230 has a ring gear that is just a hair over 9 inches in diameter.. the 230 is a pretty big pumpkin. I know it breaks like any other part, but I wouldn't lightly pass it off because one (potentially overweight?? guessing) 300ZX busted one up with a measly 600 horsies :D Just the indignant datsun lover in me trying to pretend that "I keep it real-er" :2thumbs:

Well I'd like to run 8.50's and faster some day. The floor pan in my car was pretty messed up so I'm taking the opportunity to replace it. Do the floor like this will give me the option of doing a 25.2 cage in the future if I ever do break 8.50's.

I would like to stick with IRS for now. I've seen this S14 run 8.10's at 171 on the R230 diff.

Justin

I would like to stick with IRS for now. I've seen this S14 run 8.10's at 171 on the R230 diff.

Justin

:eek2::eek2::eek2: thats fast!! Did the other car jump the gun, or was that an 8.10 on a horrible R/T???

Regarding the diff, point taken; I had ignored it because I presumed that if something like that breaks on a car like this, it just means its time to get something beefier fabricated. It is a convenient blinder for helping to justify the "keep it nissan" mentality, which I know I at least am a hopeless victim of. Still, it does help to keep a good roster on one's idiosyncrasies.