HybridZ

1981 280 ZXT Swap

darkzebra

I am installing a 1981 280 ZX turbo engine in my 1983 NA 280ZX. Apparently the 1981 ZXT only comes with an automatic tranny.

What manual gearbox, bellhousing, and pressure plate can I use with this engine? (I live in Albany, NY. It is very difficult to find any 280 ZX in the junkyards here, but musclecars are here by the tons).

I want to change the oil pump and was told the 1981 ZXT oilpump is different from the 1982. I was given Nissan part # 15010-S8000 for 1981 (with automatic tranny and oil cooler) and part # 15015-V0300 for 1982 (with manual gearbox). Since I want to use the 1981 engine with a manual gearbox, should I get the 1981 or 1982 oilpump?

Thanks for your help

NOT TRUE----> Apparently the 1981 ZXT only comes with an automatic tranny.

What manual gearbox, bellhousing, and pressure plate can I use with this engine? Check Craigslist, ebay, and this forum in the classified for 5speed.

I want to change the oil pump and was told the 1981 ZXT oilpump is different from the 1982---?WHY? is it damage or just because you want to?

I was given Nissan part # 15010-S8000 for 1981 (with automatic tranny and oil cooler) and part # 15015-V0300 for 1982 (with manual gearbox)---> Who provide you with those info and numberS?

Since I want to use the 1981 engine with a manual gearbox, should I get the 1981 or 1982 oilpump?--->What this have to do with having a manual tranny? If your oil pump is shot, then yea its a good ideal to get a new one. But if its working fine, I dont see why you want to change it out.

I want to change the oilpump because the oil pressure is low. I myself was surprised when I learned the oilpump was different - could not understand why the difference because of the tranny.

I got the part numbers out of Courtesy Nissan in Texas - they sell original Nissan parts at reasonable prices (certainly cheaper than in Albany).

I also have a 1982 280ZXT with a B&W T5 gearbox, and I know many muscle cars use the T5.

What I am not sure of is whether ANY B&W T5 gearbox/bellhousing will bolt up correctly to the ZXT engine - I want to avoid investing in a gearbox only to find it will not bolt up correctly (especially since I am an office-type but prefer to do my own Z work where possible)

I have searched. I ALWAYS search.

They only thing I found is a bit difficult to understand - why some of the experienced ones always presume a newbie like me did not search.

I don't mean this to anyone personal, but I think I need to say it.

I have 2 Z's - 82 ZXT and 83 ZX. I do all the work on them - including timing, and tappet clearance - except welding. I am not a mechanic but like someone on the forum says: it ain't yours if you did not do it!

I search all the forums - even supramania!

Got a 7" touchscreen with 2 x 5" Polks upfront under the dash (for good sound stage). A DVD R/W in the AC vents next to the heater controls - as if the car came with it - and a CarPC I ASSEMBLED in the pass rear fender. Maxima new style fusible links. Megasquirting my 82 ZXT, and Skyline round lights for the 83 ZX in the works. ALL BECAUSE I READ WHAT OTHERS HAVE DONE BEFORE ME!

I have about 8 posts - means I only ask a stupid question because I would like help from those who have already done it - NOT BECAUSE I DID NOT SEARCH!

Finally, I understand some people do jump on the forums without searching, and this can be frustrating to those who need to help. However, I want to think it is better to help a few lazy persons than to deny or otherwise frustrate the bulk of newbies just trying to learn from, and avoid, the screw-ups those before us learned from.

AS A NEWBIE MYSELF, I COMPLETLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!

I have searched. I ALWAYS search.

They only thing I found is a bit difficult to understand - why some of the experienced ones always presume a newbie like me did not search.

I don't mean this to anyone personal, but I think I need to say it.

I have 2 Z's - 82 ZXT and 83 ZX. I do all the work on them - including timing, and tappet clearance - except welding. I am not a mechanic but like someone on the forum says: it ain't yours if you did not do it!

I search all the forums - even supramania!

Got a 7" touchscreen with 2 x 5" Polks upfront under the dash (for good sound stage). A DVD R/W in the AC vents next to the heater controls - as if the car came with it - and a CarPC I ASSEMBLED in the pass rear fender. Maxima new style fusible links. Megasquirting my 82 ZXT, and Skyline round lights for the 83 ZX in the works. ALL BECAUSE I READ WHAT OTHERS HAVE DONE BEFORE ME!

I have about 8 posts - means I only ask a stupid question because I would like help from those who have already done it - NOT BECAUSE I DID NOT SEARCH!

Finally, I understand some people do jump on the forums without searching, and this can be frustrating to those who need to help. However, I want to think it is better to help a few lazy persons than to deny or otherwise frustrate the bulk of newbies just trying to learn from, and avoid, the screw-ups those before us learned from.

I barely qualify for this site my self.

HybridZ was set up for those kicking butt.

With that said, they have a heart of gold and have shamelessly helped all enthusiastic members, new and old.

Now your response to my post shows anger based on possibly too much "self esteem".

You might not find too much help using that approach.

#1... L-series oil pumps are quite hefty. If you are experiencing "low oil pressure" check the oil (level, and cleanliness) first, then check the oil pressure sensor. The sensor is much more common to produce a faulty signal, than for an oil pump to "pump" low pressure. I had a 280zx that would bearly register oil pressure on the gauge... swapped sensors... ka-blam-o... good oil pressure.

#2... Any L-series clutch assembly will work on any L-series motor. BUT... the 280zxt and all 280zx 2+2's have the larger 240mm flywheel... so... use the 240mm flywheel.

#3... Any L-series tranny will bolt up to any L-series motor. NO... A Mustang / Camaro T5 will NOT bolt right up, as it is not designed for an L-series motor.

Don't confuse the bell housing and the stuff bolted to the back with the T5 tranny. the T5 tranny in the zxt has three pieces. tranny itself, bell housing and shifting stuff seal etc in the rear. So it is possible that a bare T5 might take the bell housing and shifter stuff. You'd have to get one and see if those compontents fit.