HybridZ

stock Z fuel tank identification help please

1 tuff z

i have [in the pics that follow] a tank that i'm not certain what year z it fits. the one on the left in the first pic is the original tank from my 73 240z. in the middle is the unknown [i'll call it "x"] and the right is from an early 280 [or so i was told]. the 280 tank i just removed from my 73, i had installed it a few years ago as i read it would be great for a track car as it had additional baffling [compared to a 240 tank]. i have now replaced it with a modified 240 tank with an internal cell and additional baffling. here are some measurements and other info.

length; 240 & x are 35", 280 is 38". distance between the tank strap indentations are; 240 & x are 15.75", 280 is 17". fuel feed/return diameters; 240-8mm/4mm, x-8mm/8mm, 280 i don't know as it was modified with an -6 fittings [feed where the drain plug was and return in the orig location]. vents; 240 & x have 3 total-at the end and 2 at the top, 280 has 2 total but at the top.

you'll also see some other differences. the 280 tank has a raised area just under the spare tire well. it has the fuel feed/return toward the middle and below the tank seam [where top & bottom halves join] and is indented in that spot, 240 & x tanks have them adjacent the sending unit in the top portion above the seam. there is another difference, along the right side[near fuel filler at top] you'll notice the beveled edge that nestles along the subframe [that sub provides support for the bumper mount] curves the same for x and 280 and differs for the 240.

so, i hope someone can help me to id the 'x' tank [i suspect 74] and perhaps nail down the applicable years for the 280 tank [i believe it is for 75-76] but may be later. ok, here are the pics...

DSC00174.JPG

DSC00176.JPG

DSC00175.JPG

The 280 is an early year. It can be pretty much bolted into any 240z, but the hanger strap or one J bolt must be a bit longer. But for the absence of the driver's side horizontal vent pipe, the X tank is a dead ringer for my '71 series I 240 Z. The horizontal vent out of the end of the driver's side vents up into the passenger compartment and over to the vapor separator. This, I thought, was standard for all 240Zs. Your other tank d/n have that vent tube. Was it removed? I think X wil "fit" into all 240 Z, but, without a driver's side vent, you would have to block the corresponding nipple on the vapor separator. Look at my photo album, I have several photos relating to the differences between my original tank (71) and an early 280.

g

x64, the tank on the left in the 1st pic is the original from my 4/73 z. i did remove all the vents and had used a bulkhead fitting above the sending unit [see the hole...] for my vent line. i thought the 'x' tank to be a later model due to it's return line size of 8mm vs. my original return line of 4mm.

zgeezer, yes-i did remove all the vent fittings. also, i had the 280 tank in my 73z, needed to extend the j-bolts and one of the straps didn't fit in the indentation of the tank. checked your tank pic-my 280 tank looks just like the one in your pic-what year 280 did u pull it from?

i had read somewhere that the 75-76 tanks and 77-78 tanks are different but never had them side-by-side to compare. hence my post-to determine which one i had [as well as pin down the 'x' tank].

Middle tank is 260Z, you can tell from the size of the return fitting compared to the 73 and earlier tanks. Fits earlier chassis just fine, we put one in JeffP's 73 240Z that went to Norway.

280Z tank fits to around the 6/76 chassis date when they went to the space-saver spare in the USA, or any of the S30 or S31 Fairlady Z's with EFI to end of production. Fits earlier cars with above notations, though I just slackened off the J-Bolts in the 74 260Z-T conversion I did and it was all good.

Tony D was flying to Spain when this was posted, and now that his job is done, he's surfing the internet at ...er... 3.27 AM local Tarragona time. And tomorrow he's driving back to Barcelona to catch a flight to Morocco (Casablanca)...

Will there be anything else before I go to Nigeria and get abducted by oil crazed revolutionaries? (On the slate after Morocco)

Will there be anything else before I go to Nigeria and get abducted by oil crazed revolutionaries? (On the slate after Morocco)

big t, thanks for taking time from your 'well oiled' schedule to help a fellow z bro!

i will now appropriately label the tanks as to not forget their application.

tony, you da man!!

• 1 year later...

The left tank looks identical to my 1972 240Z tank (except for the lack of fittings on top which David had removed). It's also the same as the tank that I bought from Joe, which supposedly came from his yellow 240Z. However, I think Tony might be right in that the 240Z tank has two different sized pipes for supply and return lines. The middle one shown has equal sized pipes. I need to look at my (Joe's) 240Z tank again to confirm.

The tank in my 76 is like the one on the right. It's for the full size spare chassis. 77 and 78 tanks have a thicker main body because the space saver spare allowed for a shallower tire well and a thicker tank.

In Joe's attic there is a tank with a top mounted sender unit. What Z is that from?

I also need to post pics of my 70 tank which I know is different from a 72-73 tank. I also just picked up a NOS 240 tank and will get some pics of it. I think it is for a 72-73.

Dave to bad I didn't think to have you snap a few pics of your 75-76 tank when it was out.

• 4 weeks later...
i have [in the pics that follow] a tank that i'm not certain what year z it fits. the one on the left in the first pic is the original tank from my 73 240z. in the middle is the unknown [i'll call it "x"] and the right is from an early 280 [or so i was told]. the 280 tank i just removed from my 73, i had installed it a few years ago as i read it would be great for a track car as it had additional baffling [compared to a 240 tank]. i have now replaced it with a modified 240 tank with an internal cell and additional baffling. here are some measurements and other info.

length; 240 & x are 35", 280 is 38". distance between the tank strap indentations are; 240 & x are 15.75", 280 is 17". fuel feed/return diameters; 240-8mm/4mm, x-8mm/8mm, 280 i don't know as it was modified with an -6 fittings [feed where the drain plug was and return in the orig location]. vents; 240 & x have 3 total-at the end and 2 at the top, 280 has 2 total but at the top.

you'll also see some other differences. the 280 tank has a raised area just under the spare tire well. it has the fuel feed/return toward the middle and below the tank seam [where top & bottom halves join] and is indented in that spot, 240 & x tanks have them adjacent the sending unit in the top portion above the seam. there is another difference, along the right side[near fuel filler at top] you'll notice the beveled edge that nestles along the subframe [that sub provides support for the bumper mount] curves the same for x and 280 and differs for the 240.

so, i hope someone can help me to id the 'x' tank [i suspect 74] and perhaps nail down the applicable years for the 280 tank [i believe it is for 75-76] but may be later. ok, here are the pics...

DSC00174.JPG

DSC00176.JPG

DSC00175.JPG

The one in the middle with the fuel line on the end is a 240z. Just like my '71 Series 1. The other one on the end with the circle pressed into it looks like an early FI 280Z tank. There are two outlets located in the middle of the forward edge of the tank. The tank you pulled out of your Z and is marked "70 - 73 Z" does not have the

I have no idea what the other might be, perhaps a 260 or a modified 240z. Look at my photos here on hybridz albums. I have several photos that might help.

zgeezer