HybridZ

Still unsure about which engine swap to go

RaDeuX

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thanks for your detailed post BRAAP. Yes you're right, I have no experience in engine swapping, or any experience in performance tuning.

For my budget... Let's say 3k to 5k? In that case, I really don't have a choice except for an L28ET. Performance-wise, something that can carve corners like no other. I guess I've totally overlooked the L28ET due to all the other options that were available.

Time for more reading...

I find that "corner carving" has less to do with the engine used, and more to do with the selection of wheels, tires and suspension, even chassis stiffening has more influence than the engine.

An experiance engine swapper can cut the needed funds down, but this takes very in depth knowledge of what needs to be done in each swap, what parts can be pirated from where to keep the expenses down and what can't be, and needs to have the money spent on it.

Starting with the L28 and turbo charging it or swapping a complete L28ET in, is a great learning experiance, and will surprise you and others with the final performance. There's also a few ways to complete the swap.

In my opinion go with the sr20. Its lightweight and powerful, perfect for the type of driving your after. Easy to install. Parts oem and aftermarket are a dime a dozen. If you can get past the fact its only a 4 banger and there will be some extra room in the engine bay you should be quite happy with it. Ive had many sr20 powered cars (6 actually) both turbo and non and I love them.

In my opinion go with the sr20. Its lightweight and powerful, perfect for the type of driving your after. Easy to install. Parts oem and aftermarket are a dime a dozen. If you can get past the fact its only a 4 banger and there will be some extra room in the engine bay you should be quite happy with it. Ive had many sr20 powered cars (6 actually) both turbo and non and I love them.

SR20DET is definitely on my wanted list. However, there are two things that I'm concerned about. One is the amount of money this will require (probably gonna be asked to search for that...), and two is about the extra space under the hood. Is there really any advantage with having so much room, other than the fact that you could attach a huge turbo later on? (which I won't do)

i'm diggin the new sig...

SR20DET is definitely on my wanted list. However, there are two things that I'm concerned about. One is the amount of money this will require (probably gonna be asked to search for that...), and two is about the extra space under the hood. Is there really any advantage with having so much room, other than the fact that you could attach a huge turbo later on? (which I won't do)

The advantage of having the extra room is weight loss. So your acceleration, braking, and cornering will all be increased. I would look around at some sr swap pics..if done proper it dosn't look to bad at all. Function over fashion :o

Sweet, now I can narrow down my options between an L28ET and an SR20DET. I heard that the excessive weight loss from the SR20DET can cause the car to understeer on high speed corners. A lot of people complain about understeer as if it's a bad thing, but isn't the main cause of understeer come from driver error?

As I said previously, I have no experience in engine swapping. Therefore, an L28ET might be a better candidate. It's nice to know that I'm finally narrowing down my options though.

Edit: I might as well include this in my post anyway. Is it hard to swap an automatic to a manual transmission? A bunch of 240Zs in my area are pretty much automatics with good deals.

After further research on the L28ET, I've finally come to the conclusion that I will get that motor instead of the SR20DET. The money I save on the L28ET can be used for other serious upgrades for suspension. I can always swap the L28ET for an SR20DET later on if I feel like I need to (most likely not, I'm pretty sure I can find better methods to lighten up the Z)

Thank you all for your inputs. I know you guys must be sick of the same questions over and over again.

• 2 weeks later...
After further research on the L28ET, I've finally come to the conclusion that I will get that motor instead of the SR20DET. The money I save on the L28ET can be used for other serious upgrades for suspension. I can always swap the L28ET for an SR20DET later on if I feel like I need to (most likely not, I'm pretty sure I can find better methods to lighten up the Z)

Thank you all for your inputs. I know you guys must be sick of the same questions over and over again.

I just noticed you are in the Bay area.

I have a nice L28 (F54 block 90 head) with SUs on it. It was running when I pulled it and is on a pallet complete with a tranny. It is just taking up space. If you are interested hit me up and we can work out a deal.

• 5 months later...

I maybe new here on this site and also new with doing my 1st SBC 240Z swap at this time. But I am also very far from new with custom cars and high HP rides. Not that he needs it.... But I would 2nd EVERYTHING Paul just said.

I could only think of one add that could help you with your goals. Whats your own background on past projects? Also, what are your friends into for projects?

I ask this because I think you should stick with what you know and what your friends are working with. Bolth for what you and your friends know and the resorce's you all may have for parts and helping hands.

Myself, I am have always been a GM guy. Corvettes and street rods have always been in my life. Now I can also say the same for the 240Z.

My friends are also into American HP. Most of them are GM and some Ford and a few Dodge guys. So, with that I have real people that I can lean on for advice, hands on help, and a good deal on a part here and there.

So I am going SBC 350 on my Z. I have ALOT of friends that are in love with the project and helping in anyway they can. If I was going with the import style swap I would be lost. I would also be spending ALOT more money and not have near the help I do now.

Now, thats for me. If I was into imports and thats what my friends are working with then I would take that road.

Thats just my .02 on how you can get you project DONE not just started.

Hope it helps you.

Not to add gas to the fire but you missed a great engine. The KA is another great engine that can be found cheap. There ate tons of 240sx in junk yard eith great running engines. I got mine for $150 that was engine complete engine wire haRness and ecu from a friend with an sr swap. I got the 5speed trajny from the local you pull it junk yard for $75 and I geT 25back as a core. Its a 2.4l and can be turboed and parts are easy to find. Its mounts the same as the sr. But can cost less than half the pric. Got ka-t.org