HybridZ

Still unsure about which engine swap to go

RaDeuX

Not to add gas to the fire but you missed a great engine. The KA is another great engine that can be found cheap. There ate tons of 240sx in junk yard eith great running engines. I got mine for $150 that was engine complete engine wire haRness and ecu from a friend with an sr swap. I got the 5speed trajny from the local you pull it junk yard for $75 and I geT 25back as a core. Its a 2.4l and can be turboed and parts are easy to find. Its mounts the same as the sr. But can cost less than half the pric. Got ka-t.org

While the KA is a decent motor, good luck producing 250hp without boost or a ton of money for NA performance. Converting a KA to boost can make a great running setup, but will most likely cost $2k+ (on top of the cost of the motor) to do properly. It would be cheaper to just do the SR swap in the first place.

Regardless, it sounds like he's going with a L28ET which has been proven on this sight to be the best bang for the buck for that power level. My question for the OP is, does the $3k-5k budget figure include the price of the car itself? If so, good luck, it will be a hell of a learning experience.:wink:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
RaDeux,

Yes, the STOCK L-28ET produces a measly 185 HP. members have been able to coax over 200 HP from the NON turbo L-28 using the stock cam! Members L-28ET conversions on this forum produce well over 500 HP!?!?! Dude, you are undertaking an engine conversion!!! Repeat after me!!!! “The rules of stock HP ratings are now out the window when doing an engine swap!!!â€

i'd like to be directed in the direction of the 500hp l28 builders. originally i was thinking to do an rb25det, but realistically, i didnt plan on swaping 15grand into the engine bay for another 2 or 3 years. but my z gets me so wet when by driving the stock l28, that i think i want to research the l28et for more power NOW. Im starting to realize that the 76 engine has great potential.

not to mention, i bought the car from a mechanic who used to build/race these beasts out on leguna seca years ago, and he looked at me like i was insane when i said i want to junk the original l28 engine. he too, was all for the l28et...

question... can you simply bolt a turbo to the l28 to make it a l28et, or is the block different? (i.e. compression ratios)

Yes you can add the turbo to the n/a block. The compression is a little higher on the n/a and you need a few extra parts. Plus you need to decide how your going to run the engine. N/A electronics, Turbo electronics, or a standalone engine management system. Do a search for N/A turbo or adding a turbo and enjoy reading.

Yes you can add the turbo to the n/a block. The compression is a little higher on the n/a and you need a few extra parts. Plus you need to decide how your going to run the engine. N/A electronics, Turbo electronics, or a standalone engine management system. Do a search for N/A turbo or adding a turbo and enjoy reading.

thanks.

if i could get my hands on a brand new nurspec rb26 motor..

would that b smart. has anyone done this motor in there swap

the motor is like like 8K.. BRAND NEW.. no turbos. just motor.

i have so many questions.

so please have patienece with my noob questions

thanks. steven

if i could get my hands on a brand new nurspec rb26 motor..

would that b smart. has anyone done this motor in there swap

the motor is like like 8K.. BRAND NEW.. no turbos. just motor.

i have so many questions.

so please have patienece with my noob questions

thanks. steven

i know you'd need some deep pockets for that swap... and lots of fab skills.

the rb25 is more practical, still an interesting swap. but less hassel of the dual boosters. imo

• 2 weeks later...
i'd like to be directed in the direction of the 500hp l28 builders. originally i was thinking to do an rb25det, but realistically, i didnt plan on swaping 15grand into the engine bay for another 2 or 3 years. but my z gets me so wet when by driving the stock l28, that i think i want to research the l28et for more power NOW. Im starting to realize that the 76 engine has great potential.

not to mention, i bought the car from a mechanic who used to build/race these beasts out on leguna seca years ago, and he looked at me like i was insane when i said i want to junk the original l28 engine. he too, was all for the l28et...

question... can you simply bolt a turbo to the l28 to make it a l28et, or is the block different? (i.e. compression ratios)

I would say for over 500whp your gotting dangeerouslly close to that $15000 mark.

A saying I heard, "It will take 10% of your budget to make 90% of your power. The last 10% of your power will cost you 90% of your budget".

I would say for over 500whp your gotting dangeerouslly close to that $15000 mark.

A saying I heard, "It will take 10% of your budget to make 90% of your power. The last 10% of your power will cost you 90% of your budget".

well with a my fiance taking half my money, my wife (the z) taking the other half, plus my intentions of moving out to cali after the summer, im taking my build day by day... if i get there great, if i dont, no harsh regrets either...

i've got a strict LIST of cars to build before i die, i'm not going to cry myself to sleep at night if i dont hit 500... :)