HybridZ

(AZC) Brake Shimmy When Warm

What is the perceived advantage to cutting the rotors vs shimming the hats?

If you cut the rotor you now have a spot that is thinner. So under severe use that will get hotter and will expand more, which leads to runout when used hard. If you don't cut the rotor and shim the hat then you don't have this issue. At least that's what I'm getting out of this.

Cary

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We shall see over time. I am particulary hard on, or have bad luck with rotors, so if there is a problem, I will find it.

I do feel MUCH better about not having to thin out a brand new set of rotors unevenly on a lathe though. Not too mention they are not well balanced if you have to thin one side out more than the other.

Shimming the hats from now on in my book is a MUST DO. You only need to do it once.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a similar situation with 84 300zx rotors on the early 4 bolt hubs. I have a new set of rotors on order but want to get some shims in advance to have on hand if I need them.

Anyone have a good source for shims that will work in this application?

Cutting rotors on the car is the best way. The only place I knew that did it was the BMW dealer I worked for in the Bronx. F&S motors. Not sure who does it nowadays. I think if you start with new rotors and they are off center (lateral runout) by 0.006" or more, after you install them, you should figure out if your hub, hat, or rotor is off before you cut anything. I shimmed my hats to near perfect and it's been great so far with NO cutting nothing.

If you cut the rotor you now have a spot that is thinner. So under severe use that will get hotter and will expand more, which leads to runout when used hard. If you don't cut the rotor and shim the hat then you don't have this issue. At least that's what I'm getting out of this.

Cary

I think Tub80z hit the nail on the head here! Dont' cut until you know why you have to cut them in the first place.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just getting around to installing my JSK rear brake kit and I remembered this thread and thought maybe I'd shim the rotors. So I throw one of the rotors on the hub and measure the runout. .035". No ♥♥♥♥. I grabbed the other rotor and tried again. .040". I'm looking at this and there is just no way the thing is that far out of square, so I did a little test. I put the strut in a vise which holds it at an angle, put the rotor on the hub, and spun it. You could see the rotor ROCKING on the hub when it hit a certain spot. Pull the rotor off and you could see two little tiny wear spots on the inside of the pilot hole. Now I know what the problem is: the pilot hole in the hat is just a hair too small. The only reason I recognized this is because I had a set of wheel spacers that had a pilot that was like .003" too small and when you'd torque the wheels they seemed fine, but when you'd drive it you'd swear that it had a tire balance issue. Took me forever to figure that one out, and I finally did because the wheel spacer started to crack. So anyway I used the old finger and sandpaper "lathe" to open up the pilot hole and checked again, and now runout is .005".

At what point is the runout going to be acceptable? With .005" I would think it would be close, and I don't know how easy it will be to shim the thing since I think the size of the shim is multiplied by the time you get to the rotor edge. What do you think Dave? Is this shimmable and is it worth the hassle to shim it?

Went out and bought a couple cheap feeler gauges and used a hole punch to make shims out of them (drilling DOESN'T work). I don't get what is going on. I find the low spot, shim it, and then it is LOWER afterwards. I triple checked to see if I'm reading the dial indicator the right way, and I am, so I'm just a bit stuck. I guess tomorrow I'll shim it the exact opposite of what I think I should and see what that does, but I really don't think I have the dial indicator fundamentals wrong. I'm also worried that I might be chasing the torque on the rotor. If we know that torquing the rotor warps it just a hair, and so I'm taking the bolts off, shimming, and putting them back on and then getting different readings, isn't it likely that just tightening the bolts again is the cause?

Thinking hard about taking all the shims off, torquing the bolts, cutting the rotor, then reinstalling and seeing what that does on the dial indicator. I suppose the other thing I could do is take a little more off of that pilot hole, just to make sure that is not the issue.

Frustrated... :fmad:

If your rotor is only out about 0.005 at the outer edge, you can probably live with it and not feel it. If you can't get it closer by shimming, then turn it, while mounted to the hat/hub and torqued if it bothers you. Cutting that little off, won't make a difference in the performance.

It is a strange thing that shimming it makes it go the other way. Is the shim causing it to "bellville" or "cone" for lack of a better description. Try shimming the bolt, AND the two neighboring bolts on either side with half the thickness of the center shim if possible.

A shim at the hat bolts, definitely mulitiplies the runout at the outer edge. I would think a 0.002 shim would fix right around 0.005 at the outer edge. Personally with 0.005 I would mount it and test it. I think it will be OK, especially in the rear.

Jon,

are you sure you are shimming in the right direction? I had the same problem the first time I did it. I was shimming the low spot and I should have been shimming the high spot. If you are measuring from the outside face of the rotor, and shim the low spot, it makes it lower. Shim the high spot to push the rotor back. Hope that makes sense.

Went out and bought a couple cheap feeler gauges and used a hole punch to make shims out of them (drilling DOESN'T work). I don't get what is going on. I find the low spot, shim it, and then it is LOWER afterwards. I triple checked to see if I'm reading the dial indicator the right way, and I am, so I'm just a bit stuck. I guess tomorrow I'll shim it the exact opposite of what I think I should and see what that does, but I really don't think I have the dial indicator fundamentals wrong. I'm also worried that I might be chasing the torque on the rotor. If we know that torquing the rotor warps it just a hair, and so I'm taking the bolts off, shimming, and putting them back on and then getting different readings, isn't it likely that just tightening the bolts again is the cause?

Thinking hard about taking all the shims off, torquing the bolts, cutting the rotor, then reinstalling and seeing what that does on the dial indicator. I suppose the other thing I could do is take a little more off of that pilot hole, just to make sure that is not the issue.

Frustrated... :fmad:

Well yes, establishing a reference point and then reading the proper direction of the deflection is critical of course.

There is no right way to do it. It depends on which side of the rotor you measure from, and which side you are adding shims.

Jon, are you sure you are shimming in the right direction? I had the same problem the first time I did it. I was shimming the low spot and I should have been shimming the high spot. If you are measuring from the outside face of the rotor, and shim the low spot, it makes it lower. Shim the high spot to push the rotor back. Hope that makes sense.

I'm measuring on the backside of the rotor and shimming the high spot as viewed from the outside to push it back towards the dial indicator. I had spent quite a bit of time on it yesterday/last night. I'm going to try again today, maybe a little time off will help.