HybridZ

Another Wolf runs with the pack

RTz

• Administrators

The front story...

Yesterday, I fired up my S30, equipped with a V500. I know. I know... its old hat. Well, I did something a little different... I plugged a V500 into a stock EFI harness. No modification's. No endless nights. No explaining to the wife... well, you know.

I simply robbed a stock ECU's connector and wired it up to a short V500 harness (about a foot long). Plugged it in, uploaded a configuration & map, and it started on the first attempt. Drove it for about 1/2 hour today. Made a few adjustments and it runs like a top.

The back story...

For some while now, I've been wanting to offer a 'Plug n Play' Wolf3D system for the L28E. One of the setbacks was V4's inability to read a negative coil trigger. The only workaround was doing some re-wiring, something I wanted to 'avoid at all costs'. I wanted stupid simple. The key is V500's ability to be triggered by the coil, as does the factory ECU.

I've been talking with Wolf about producing a proper adapter. Its not etched in stone, but its looking realistically possible. This means an entire 10 minute installation time... and turn the key.

• Administrators
What would be the advantage of running this over the stock ECU if are still running antique sensors such as our AFM and TPS ect?

There are a number of advantages AND disadvantages. Its not for everyone.

Many people have installed cams, exhausts systems, etc, on the L-Jet EFI cars and it becomes a real compromise. Tuning out the flat spots, keeping fuel economy, and so on, becomes a real chore (if not flat out impossible). The most obvious benefit to this strategy is being able to take advantage of your modifications with ZERO down time.

As far as the AFM and TPS are concerned, I'm 'ignoring' both of them. A vacuum line to the ECU is all that's necessary for load and acceleration enrichment (replacing both the AFM and TPS). Yes, you'll get better response if you use an actual pot. style TPS, which is why I wired up the 3 existing TPS wires so that you may add one at your leisure. Then its a simple matter of telling the software to use TPS instead of MAP for transients. Currently, the MAP based transient response is about on par with stock.

The idea is to provide a means of growing the system to meet your needs or wants over time. Even adding a turbo wouldn't be unreasonable... all the remaining Wolf features are still there to take advantage of, as the individual chooses.

Ron,

Very nicely done. I hope this will bring more Wolf users into the 'pack'. Wolf is very easy to use and configure, and its flexibility is outstanding.

The transient modifiers are "nice" features to have but are not essential. The two most useful ones are acceleration enrichment and overrun fuel cut (for instance, throttle lift down a hill and the injectors stop firing).

• 2 months later...

This is very cool Ron. Yes, one of the Wolf system limitations was the ability to trigger from coil "-" terminal. This is great that they added this ability. Next would be an adapter harness for the L28ET, where you can also use the V500 to control timing.

Pete

We did similar with the MS in the LeMons car, using a 'screw terminal board' as the interface between the stock harness and the MS wiring.

Got that TB idea from the previous poster above me...

For people who live in a 'smog controlled environment' the ability to retain the 'stock' wiring harness in the engine bay is a definite plus. I know guys in Long Beach who are now on their THIRD successful SMOG Check with their Bay Window VW Busses powered via MS and wired into their stock Bosch wiring harness.

It makes living in the 'emissions world' nice. And as long as that concealing footwell panel covers it up and there is no 'ECU VERIFICATION' (like in Sweden, where guys have assembled their MS units inside the stock ECU box!) this proves to be a very nice way to have a performance car that wil lpass a visual and tailpipe inspection as long as you are willing to do the tuning requisite with the emissions levels demanded.

Which is not all that much in cars without an O2 sensor!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...