HybridZ

GTR At The Local Drag Strip

Scottie-GNZ

Saw my first GTR at the drag strip tonight and the owner was running it and running it hard. It LOOKS big and heavy. I imagine with a half-tank of gas and driver, it is over 4000lbs! Ironic that this car is over 500lbs heavier than a ZR1.

Anyway, the performance hype is not hype. Owner had trouble figuring out how to launch it and finally get some decent digs and a best of 11.7 @ 119.

I really wonder how long the drivetrains will last when being punished with heavy launches. The clutches must be hurting.

From what I've read though, the transmission doesn't fully disengage while shifting, providing some amount of power during the shift.

If someone who knows it better knows more on that, I'd love to know. Very interesting.

Also, I remember how they shift quicker through their gears, keeping the revs in the powerband. And the slick transmission helps do that expeditiously.

There is one in Alaska and it ran an 11.8 @ 119!!!!

it showed up for a Wednesday TT and surprised everyone. It was a rumor someone had one up here till it showed up and everyone took pictures >

5-10 years that motor will be as sought after as the rb26 is now. Although the technology in the engine and drive train may make it difficult to put in another chassis.

There is a blog somewhere of some guys from a dealership flogging a car that still has plastic on the seats... tisk tisk..

They also said the traction control will blow teeth off in a tranny after hard abuse. Time will tell.

Sounds promising that a guy who isn't a seasoned racer is running mid 11s.

Evan

I really wonder how long the drivetrains will last when being punished with heavy launches. The clutches must be hurting.

From what I've read though, the transmission doesn't fully disengage while shifting, providing some amount of power during the shift.

If someone who knows it better knows more on that, I'd love to know. Very interesting.

Also, I remember how they shift quicker through their gears, keeping the revs in the powerband. And the slick transmission helps do that expeditiously.

the transmission can only handle 18 to 24 launches, the most launches nissan got out that trans was 34.

there is all kinds of speculation.... any reference for the 18-24 launches???

I have heard after a certain amount it needs service but haven't really confirmed that. honestly i don't really care i will never own one BUT it seems weird to me that a car builder would build a car that could only handle a certain amount of launches????

Scottie, was the owner an english guy? One of our autocross regulars bought one and ran it a couple of weeks ago so I'm wondering if it was him.

Dont know. The color was like a dark gunmetal, almost black, and it had some type of temp tag and appeared to come from Baird-Ray Nissan. Rumor in the pits was that he paid >100K for it. Not sure I would be proud to tell someone I paid >100K for a $77K car but that's the price for playing oneupmanship, I guess. Heard he was loaded and was talking about bringing his Murcielago next week.

I counted 5 335is, an E55 AMG, a new Carrera Cabrio and 2 late-model Porsche turbo and a supposed 1200hp turbo Viper trying to run on street tires and low boost. The face of drag racing is changing.

Dont know. The color was like a dark gunmetal, almost black, and it had some type of temp tag and appeared to come from Baird-Ray Nissan. Rumor in the pits was that he paid >100K for it. Not sure I would be proud to tell someone I paid >100K for a $77K car but that's the price for playing oneupmanship, I guess. Heard he was loaded and was talking about bringing his Murcielago next week.

I counted 5 335is, an E55 AMG, a new Carrera Cabrio and 2 late-model Porsche turbo and a supposed 1200hp turbo Viper trying to run on street tires and low boost. The face of drag racing is changing.

Dang indeed.. lol all to be whooped by a FC RX7 with a slight motor swappage hehe.. :)

I think there's a lot of internet rumor out about this issue with the tranny that just isn't true.

I'll remind everyone that I've been pretty negative about this car until recently.

That said, the ONLY thing I've read on any of the GTR owner's boards is related to long stints doing road course work with moderate air temps causing the tranny to trip a code for overheating the tranny oil. This is an issue the C5 regular and Z06 had. The only real concern I guess is the weight. That car recently scaled on one of the NAGTROC threads at over 3900# without driver. That was just the car with a full tank of fuel.

I also thing that when these powerplants start turning up, they'll be with some standalone gear without the trans and AWD, and will be mated to custom bellhousings and more conventional clutch systems... We hotrodders are an enterprising bunch, no? :lmao:

Mike