HybridZ

Carbon Fiber Cowl

Bartman

Here it is, took a little bit of dremel work on the tabs to fit up. It's a nice piece IMO, no ripples, gaps are even. CF matches my hood perfectly (pattern and angle).

Pictures don't do it justice.......when you see it in person, the pieces work perfectly together. There is definitely one in my future.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that want a smooth cowl, but don't want carbon fiber - therre's a new listing for a fibergalss unit. It's listed at $169.99 with the 'make offer' option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRP-OEM-Cowl-Datsun-240Z-70-73-3Dr_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a1Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem350118703308QQitemZ350118703308QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Bartman, have you had a chance to fit the CF cowl panel yet? I got them to sell me one to but I'm kind of concerned with the fit before I buy it.

It looks to me like the passenger side along the fender edge dosen't fit quite right in the pic below. It looks like it has a slight bow at the point where it meets the inspection lid.

This could just be flaw in the pic, or something that can be shimmed.... what do you think?

attachment.php?attachmentid=9934&d=1224702037

Bartman, have you had a chance to fit the CF cowl panel yet? I got them to sell me one to but I'm kind of concerned with the fit before I buy it.

It looks to me like the passenger side along the fender edge dosen't fit quite right in the pic below. It looks like it has a slight bow at the point where it meets the inspection lid.

This could just be flaw in the pic, or something that can be shimmed.... what do you think?

attachment.php?attachmentid=9934&d=1224702037

I received the carbon fiber cowl panel last night, and it was really well packaged and looks great. I tried fitting it right away and I did run into a problem. I think the issue is that the new panel is too wide at the upper corners. Here's a not so good pic that shows the new panel compared with the stocker.

DSCF5207.JPG

I think this will be easily resolved with my dremmel, but I'm surprised it came this way. I would think it wouldn't fit on any Z without this modification.

DSCF5208.JPG

Here it is, took a little bit of dremel work on the tabs to fit up. It's a nice piece IMO, no ripples, gaps are even. CF matches my hood perfectly (pattern and angle).

So what specific modifications did you make? Did you run into problems with the thickness of the panel corners at the base of the A pillars?

I sent an email to Raceonusa regarding my fitment issue, so I'll see if they reply or not. I'm planning on starting making modifications soon, but I'd like to hear from them first.

So I still haven't received a reply from Raceonusa. I went ahead and took the dremmel to it last night and it didn't take too much work at all. Once I ground down the upper corners and outermost tabs it slipped right on. I'm in the process of doing all the bodywork on my car, so I don't have good pic's of the final installation, but I'll be sure and post up when it's all completed.

Sure, if your definition of ricey means something added just for looks and not performance - but by that definition a nice new paint job is ricey as well.

true... that seems to be why i can't justify spending the time and money on 'real' paint job :)

I think for me it's just carbon fiber in general on light pieces such as a spoiler or cowl