HybridZ

S30 right hand drive conversion

Guest dat74

I was sitting in class and something I heard reminded me of something my friend said. "I'm so JDM that I sleep on the RIGHT side of the bed." So I started spacing out and thinking about a Right hand drive conversion for my '74 260Z. It's sitting in my garage pretty much in pieces and I was thinking that since it's not going to be done anytime soon, why not add the cool factor of RHD. The part I'm worried about is the steering column and rack. The wiring is fine beacuse as of right now there basically is no wiring so I will be doing a complete rewire. As for the dashboard I will probably do a one off sheetmetal or fiberglass dash. So what do you guys think, if I start this will it end up going nowhere? Or do you think this could actually work out?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just buy one, it's far cheaper, and they are out there.

There was a PAIR in Mississippi I believe, a 240Z and Fairlady Z "from two get one" was the way it read.

They are more common than you think, and the conversion is a PITA.

Far easier and cheaper to buy one. Especially in the Bay Area. They abound there...

Really? From hacking my 280z, it doesn't seem that hard to convert. just flip and rebuild the rack and drill and weld mounting bolts for the steering column. Then welding mounts for the pedals.

After typing it out, it might be a little harder than I though :P. Plus sourcing a rhd dash would be a PITA.

I'm not really interested in buying another car since I got the car for 500 bucks and it pretty much completely rust and dent free. Also my dad bought it for me so yeah... Really I'm only worried about the steering rack and the steering column.

AK-Z you talked about flipping the rack and rebuilding it. Will it bolt up directly upside down? And by rebuilding it what do you mean?

I noticed that the hole for the main wiring harness grommet in the firewall looks like it would line up for a steering column. Am I right?

If you want to do it...do it. Its a neat project. I have considered it as well but finding a clean original dash will be a PITA . You can always build an aluminum dash!

BTW...I have Fairlady emblems on my car. Why...because I like them:mrgreen:..... and its my hyrbidz! Rough crowd!

I don't plan on putting ANY badges on it but the original Datsun ones and only the rear hatch 260Z one. I'm not trying to rice it out, I just really like the idea of having it RHD. I'm really interested in doing this so I would like to know what it'll actually take.

There is a guy at our Z club doing just this. I'm not sure what hes got invested in it. When I was a mailman it sucked. The only drive thru I could go through was Burger Street. They have left and right drive thru's:eek:
OMG, I never thought of that. Wow, now I'm not so sure I want to do it. HAHA. Seriously though...I'm not sure anymore, I always go through drive throughs.

whats the import costs for importing a RHD vehicle? buy one and register it :D

I have a 260Z right hand drive dash, rack, pedal box and steering column along with other parts if your interested. PM me if you have questions.

RHD isn't a problem here... EVERYTHING here is RHD :D Have a look at my location :)

kiwi303, come off of those perfect RHD dashes and retire early

As far as a S 30 RHD conversion... it just isn't feasible. Lets say you have a dash ( I have two cracked ones for sale) try to find a interior blower motor and squirel cage! Supposedly the stock LHD rack and pinion can be "flipped" and utilized ?If not $$$ You will need a battery tray,(unless relocating the battery elsewhere) cowl, windshield wiper assembly (to truly have a RHD clone) not cheap to obtain. There are other issues beyond these to contend with. You may want to condsider another platform, 240SX, Z32, ect. These "JDM" clips are abundant and are relatively "inexpesive" . RHD S 30s(Fairlady Z) show up on E-Bay either as basket cases or very expensive.

I'm not trying to clone a Fairlady, I'm just trying to make my LHD into a RHD, I'm not worried about the dash, or any of that, as I said, the only thing i'm worried about is the steering rack and column mounting, also of course the steering shaft.