HybridZ

Nissan GTR driving impressions

bjhines

Go-Go Godzilla!!!

I would not likely lay down the cash for this car, but I can see how it will become popular with enthusiasts everywhere. I got to drive this car in hot laps with the most advanced and fastest group. I also took it out to the skidpad to see what it would do.

I instructed at Carolina Motorsports Park this weekend with Tarheel Sports Car Club/ Triangle Z-Club/ and Speed Ventures. I had a green student at his first ever track event with a White Nissan GTR supercar. That is a risky proposition anywhere. We see the most spectacular accidents with Porsches, Ferraris, Corvettes, and just about anything with more than 400 BHP. Most of the smaller cars just won't get that far off track.

I must say that the computer controls are FABULOUS!!! Your grandmother could drive that car as fast as you. It is simply impossible to apply more power than the traction can handle. You can put your right foot to the floor and pinch the wheel to turn in and IT WILL LIFT THE THROTTLE automatically. It really takes the skill out of driving it.

I drove the car in the instructors group for a few laps just to see how it worked. I have some in car footage that is a little hard to see out side the car. But it will give you and idea of how I can apply the throttle and brakes. The main screen in the middle of the dash has been configured with

throttle position on the top left,

Brake pressure in the top middle,

and Boost level in the bottom middle.

You can see the bar graphs as I drive the car. I can pretty much floor it and the car manages power all by it's self. Just watch the boost gauge in relation to the throttle position.

th_NissanGTRincarshort.jpg

Here is some more footage outside the car with my green student driving.

th_NissanGTRsideangleshort.jpg

I have some more interesting footage that is waiting for upload.

That is awesome! :2thumbs:

I can't understand all the negative comments when those making the negative comments have never driven one. I have never had the opportunity nor am I likely to anytime soon. Very nice vids and congrats on getting behind the wheel of a nice car on the track to boot!

This is the only negative feedback I've see thus far - some guy used the "launch" feature too many times and blew out his tranny (sounds like dealer error on education):

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25361

I was driving my gtr two weeks ago and I heard a loud noise coming from the rear. I turned immediately had my gtr towed to crown nissan st. petersburg fl. They didn't touch my car only called some techs from tennessee to look at the car and record the noise, 4 days later two guys from japan to download some info from the car then left. Then I get a call from the dealer to tell me the news, and they told me that the car was driven without vdc too much and nissan will not warranty the transmission which they said was destroyed, I asked them how much to fix it they told me 20k, no freaking way I will pay 20k on top of what i just paid for the car. I called the gtr number and also talked to nissan consumer affairs got nowhere, now the car is sitting at the dealer. I know we shouldn't launch the car but why own it if you cant use this function, don't sell a car that goes 0-60 in 3.4 sec if the only way you can achieve this speed is to void the warranty , false advertising. Here is the bad news people were fearing it has happened to me and Nissan has told me there are already three people in my shoes, if you are one of these people email me, we have got to get together on this. Just think if any of you guys have taken the vdc off just a few times you have already voided your warranty, good luck what a joke nissan.

Because we have opinions? Or aren't we allowed to have them? :roll:

This same student has offered me the chance to drive his car if we hook up at VIR. I'll take him up on it and report back. Until then, I, and others like me aren't buying into the hype.

It's a nice car, I'm sure. It also has a page in the owners manual specifically for tracking trans replacements. That doesn't seem ODD to you? :roll:

The number of denied warranties and failed trannys is climbing, btw, but hey, It's the greatest and most advanced car in the world. :roll:

Mike Kelly

That is awesome! :2thumbs:

I can't understand all the negative comments when those making the negative comments have never driven one. I have never had the opportunity nor am I likely to anytime soon. Very nice vids and congrats on getting behind the wheel of a nice car on the track to boot!

I wasn't talking about you mike, come to think of it I don't recall you ever having a bad comments about how the gtr drives. I guess I should have been more clear.

I haven't seen any evidence of any of the trans replacements. Considering how few have been sold if it is in fact true then it may be odd, but not unlike any other manufacturers that have experienced trans weakness problems, doesn't make it a bad car. Same goes for people.